Random Thoughts From DCI Buffalo

I'm just curious what Oaklandcrusaders thoughts are on the use of vocals since most of the corps use it in some way. For me it's been a hard pill to swallow especially " do you love me John"

Nobody seems to have their own distinct sound or style -- I`ll argue that you could switch Devils line with the Cadets or Cadets line with the Crown etc and you wouldn`t notice much of a difference

You're probably right when you say because I've been away from the game for a little while that my observation may be off...but if you notice my original thought above I said that I could argue (debate )the point I made...I'd love to sit down with you or any other drummer and debate it over a couple beers and maybe you could show me of the error of my ways or vice versa...lol

That's what it's all about -- we all have a passion for drummming and drum corps and we love talking about it...

Duz Ga Duz

Cadets are more from the wrist and they play into the drum. Blue Devils play off the head and float a lot. Cadets' tenors play a lot of rolls into rimshots into more rolls, BD plays rolls into unisons and double-stops. Cadets' pit plays more harmonically, BD plays more unison riffs.

It never fails to astound me that people expect a creative endeavor or an art form to stay the same for 30 years. Name me one that has! This is not to say things weren't good 30 years ago...they were! But things change. Generations change. Tastes change. My mom prefers the movie "Casablanca". I prefer Star Wars. My kids prefer the latest spider man. How can these things be compared? They are all a product of their time. Those examples appealed to those at the time they were current. Some will always cling to the past. Others will embrace the present. Live in the past if you must..,ill take what comes next, thank you.

• Like 1

I'm just curious what Oaklandcrusaders thoughts are on the use of vocals since most of the corps use it in some way. For me it's been a hard pill to swallow especially " do you love me John"

To be honest, I'm not a big fan of it and who knows what they're going to come up with next?...I'm all for trying to come up with new and creative ideas but I think that the pendulum for creative expression has swung over too much to that side...Basically, at the rate that things are going we're just going to end up with a hybrid version of drum corps...I think they have to pull the reins back a little bit because it's almost like a -- "the barn door is open and the horses are running around all over the place" type of mentality when it comes to the use of props, amplification, voice overs, etc...Instead of enhancing the performance I found they were more distracting at times and overshadowed the music...

The show coordinators have to remember that the marching members should always be the stars of the show and that their musical and marching talents should always be at the forefront...The funny thing is by trying to go over the top creatively they've made the shows less entertaining and more boring...As I mentioned in an earlier reply, there was a huge crowd in Buffalo and there was hardly any spontaneous applause from the audience while the corps were performing which I can't ever remember happening before...The applause at the end of each of the shows was kind of lukewarm at best...I don't think there were too many people clapping thinking -- " I could see that show 20 more times! " ... And I think that says a lot

Cheers,

Edited by oaklandcrusader