Someone FINALLY got the brass spread right!

It's nice to see that Crown is finally getting the brass recognition they deserve from the judges. A 0.2 spread from BD? No way Jose! Good job Crown!

After hearing them in the theater Thursday night, I can say that it was the best brass sound I have heard in 42 years. Sick that I didn't get a chance to hear them live.

I'd understand a large spread in the performance number, but I think the 99 content score is very questionable. Crown's book just doesn't have the same complexity or depth that BD or even Cadets do, IMO

• Like 5

I'd understand a large spread in the performance number, but I think the 99 content score is very questionable. Crown's book just doesn't have the same complexity or depth that BD or even Cadets do, IMO

Seriously? BD hardly plays anything! Non-major chords aren't impressive. I think it's BD's weakest book in years. They play the crap out it but there is simply not enough going on. Have you actually sat there and listened to the runs that are constantly coming throughout Crown's show? BD's horns are clean but not hard. I would put Cadet's book ahead of theirs and leave BD even with SCV. I literally can point out five places in Crown's show that I can't find anything similar in BD's. Best part is that Crown is moving when they play it!

• Like 3

Seriously? BD hardly plays anything! Non-major chords aren't impressive. I think it's BD's weakest book in years. They play the crap out it but there is simply not enough going on. Have you actually sat there and listened to the runs that are constantly coming throughout Crown's show? BD's horns are clean but not hard. I would put Cadet's book ahead of theirs and leave BD even with SCV. I literally can point out five places in Crown's show that I can't find anything similar in BD's. Best part is that Crown is moving when they play it!

I can't tell if you are trolling or not. Judging by your signature, I guess you aren't? Which is sad.

• Like 2

I honestly don't think atonal music is that hard to play. And I much prefer their earlier atonal work, even from 2011, which was recent. Their 2011 show was great!

Edit: dissonance*, calm down, folks...

Edited by santacarolinascouts

Disagree completely. Both books are hard in their own respect but Crown goes above and beyond. They were playing that closer part (with the insane triplet tonguing) clean in June. I would agree with the other comments regarding BD not playing enough. I like the first half of their show but then I'm just left wishing there was more brass than pole moving.

• Like 1

I honestly don't think atonal music is that hard to play. And I much prefer their earlier atonal work, even from 2011, which was recent. Their 2011 show was great!

Atonal music is somewhat difficult to play. Musical intervals are hard to pull off to an untrained ear. Also, counting is usually very hard. It is also hard to make it sound "good"

• Like 1