11. Blue Stars

12. Crossmen

/***************************************************/

13. Spirit of Atlanta

14. Troopers

15. Colts

16. Oregon Crusaders

17. Pacific Crest

Crossmen a possibility for finals for me. A 40th Anniversary Show about who and what The Crossmen is (and a change in the visual and percussion staff) could bring them into finals again.

• Like 1

It's going to be really interesting to see what happens! The Colts' show sounds very intriguing, and knowing what Sully can come up with paired with a great staff, we could see the Colts burst through into the top 12! I guess we'll just see how it all plays out!

Crossmen a possibility for finals for me. A 40th Anniversary Show about who and what The Crossmen is (and a change in the visual and percussion staff) could bring them into finals again.

There is a lot of rookie talent though. Might be another rebuilding year for them, but I hope you're right.

1) My predictions mean nothing

2) this is just a rote exercize in pride and arrogance

3) that being said, here are mine (but not as a ranking)

What each corps needs to do to achieve their highest...

POTENTIAL WINNERS - Top Tier

Blue Devils - for the love of pete - revisit the vibe you had in 2003 with "Phenomenon of Cool" - That was the last year the drum corps community begged for BD to win. Entertain the crowd - first - innovate like you have over the past decade - second - and the Devils will win, without a doubt.

But I do not think they will do so......esotericism seems to suit their staff, so....

Bluecoats - Yeah, I SAID IT!! GREAT selections with Thrower's arrangements will have the 'Coats challenging Crown for high brass this year. If the visual/guard captions can break through and set a new standard - the Bluecoats will be in the running for a medal. Regardless of how they do, I will like this corps' show anyway go now and listen to the source material. Now.

Cadets - This is a safe show for them, and for that reason, especially with rules changes, I don't feel they can win this year, but should stay solidly in the top 5.

Carolina Crown - They will have to follow one of the best drum corps shows in 15 years this season, and I cannot comprehend how they - or any corps - could. That being said - a lock for top 3, but will be challenged by Bluecoats and Blue Devils.

SCV - A dark horse - BIG time. If they do a rehash of their former Scheherazade show - forget it. If they can do a more aggressive - old-school treatment like they did with the AWESOME Les Mis' show last year, then watch your ### - Vanguard will be coming for you. Top 5 lock.

RESPECTABLE SHOWING - Second Tier

Phantom Regiment - I think 2014 will be an in-your-face year for drum corps, and Swan Lake's artistry and elegance I think will go somewhat unappreciated by judges. That being said, I think this corps may have "goose bump moment" potential. Regardless of how they place, they will not be forgotten.

Madison Scouts - The Scouts have regained something in the past 5 years they lost for most of the new millenium - swagger. And Kenton/Ellis is 1000% BALLS. I think the boys will perform the dogcrap out of this show, and maybe snag 6th or even 5th from an unsuspecting corps this year. The climb continues.

Cavaliers - Unfortuately, the Cavaliers have been making design moves away from "Cavalierishness". Last years show could have been done by the Blue Knights and you wouldn't have known the difference. They need to revisit some older material to re-establish their brand, something I know Mr. DeGrauwe would love to see. How about bringing back the incredible 1986 opener "Canzona"? Which I felt was THE part of their show that got them in 3rd place that year. Put a modern spin on that - resymmetricize the drill - and the Cavies will climb up. This will not happen, so Green Machine will drop down again - because

Boston Crusaders - This corps deserved 7th or higher last year. I loved "Rise" and I think they can grow from this if their hornline can smooth out some rough edges. I'm confident they can, this corps gets better every season - and my gut tells me they will break through.

HAPPY TO BE HERE - Bottom Tier

Troopers - Last year's staff, it seems, kept the show difficulty down to develop consistency within all captions, and to present a show for the fans. They DID!! I loved 2013 - but now it's time to turn up the heat big time. The corps now has the talent. They need the difficulty, and the theme of the show this year is 100% Troop-friendly. I think by the time they hit "America The Beautiful", the crowd will be throwing babies with red-white-and-blue diapers. Not 12th - but 10th - you watch I'm right on this one.

Blue Knights - They should be happy with being consistent, because this year will be insane for a finals spot. There will be 6-8 corps that could reasonably get in this year.

They are:

Spirit of Atlanta - Who were taking the year off, according to that part of my cortex that forgot they weren't

Crossmen - fresh show ideas and an awesome hornline

Colts - Pink Floyd - if they pull this off, the crowd will cry out for a Saturday Night appearance

Blue Stars - Love the performers, but the Troopers beat them last year and everyone knows it. This year the judges will score them fairly. Need a fresh creative direction to keep from getting lost in the fray.

Mandarins - YEAH I SAID IT. Wow - what improvement from these guys last year, and I strongly feel they can excel. If they still progress, Mandarins will challenge for a finals spot.

Oregon Crusaders - HUGE improvement from 2012 to 2013. The creativity and cleanliness of their visual package last year got to me. They will definitely be in the hunt, but may likely see 14th or 15th due to the competitiveness of the season.

This concludes my opinion and it is COMPLETELY worthless. But at least I feel better now that it's out of my system.

Edited by radiosteele
  • Like 3

1) My predictions mean nothing

2) this is just a rote exercize in pride and arrogance

3) that being said, here are mine (but not as a ranking)

What each corps needs to do to achieve their highest...

POTENTIAL WINNERS - Top Tier

Blue Devils - for the love of pete - revisit the vibe you had in 2003 with "Phenomenon of Cool" - That was the last year the drum corps community begged for BD to win. Entertain the crowd - first - innovate like you have over the past decade - second - and the Devils will win, without a doubt.

But I do not think they will do so......esotericism seems to suit their staff, so....

Bluecoats - Yeah, I SAID IT!! GREAT selections with Thrower's arrangements will have the 'Coats challenging Crown for high brass this year. If the visual/guard captions can break through and set a new standard - the Bluecoats will be in the running for a medal. Regardless of how they do, I will like this corps' show anyway go now and listen to the source material. Now.

Cadets - This is a safe show for them, and for that reason, especially with rules changes, I don't feel they can win this year, but should stay solidly in the top 5.

Carolina Crown - They will have to follow one of the best drum corps shows in 15 years this season, and I cannot comprehend how they - or any corps - could. That being said - a lock for top 3, but will be challenged by Bluecoats and Blue Devils.

SCV - A dark horse - BIG time. If they do a rehash of their former Scheherazade show - forget it. If they can do a more aggressive - old-school treatment like they did with the AWESOME Les Mis' show last year, then watch your ### - Vanguard will be coming for you. Top 5 lock.

RESPECTABLE SHOWING - Second Tier

Phantom Regiment - I think 2014 will be an in-your-face year for drum corps, and Swan Lake's artistry and elegance I think will go somewhat unappreciated by judges. That being said, I think this corps may have "goose bump moment" potential. Regardless of how they place, they will not be forgotten.

Madison Scouts - The Scouts have regained something in the past 5 years they lost for most of the new millenium - swagger. And Kenton/Ellis is 1000% BALLS. I think the boys will perform the dogcrap out of this show, and maybe snag 6th or even 5th from an unsuspecting corps this year. The climb continues.

Cavaliers - Unfortuately, the Cavaliers have been making design moves away from "Cavalierishness". Last years show could have been done by the Blue Knights and you wouldn't have known the difference. They need to revisit some older material to re-establish their brand, something I know Mr. DeGrauwe would love to see. How about bringing back the incredible 1986 opener "Canzona"? Which I felt was THE part of their show that got them in 3rd place that year. Put a modern spin on that - resymmetricize the drill - and the Cavies will climb up. This will not happen, so Green Machine will drop down again - because

Boston Crusaders - This corps deserved 7th or higher last year. I loved "Rise" and I think they can grow from this if their hornline can smooth out some rough edges. I'm confident they can, this corps gets better every season - and my gut tells me they will break through.

HAPPY TO BE HERE - Bottom Tier

Troopers - Last year's staff, it seems, kept the show difficulty down to develop consistency within all captions, and to present a show for the fans. They DID!! I loved 2013 - but now it's time to turn up the heat big time. The corps now has the talent. They need the difficulty, and the theme of the show this year is 100% Troop-friendly. I think by the time they hit "America The Beautiful", the crowd will be throwing babies with red-white-and-blue diapers. Not 12th - but 10th - you watch I'm right on this one.

Blue Knights - They should be happy with being consistent, because this year will be insane for a finals spot. There will be 6-8 corps that could reasonably get in this year.

They are:

Crossmen - fresh show ideas and an awesome hornline

Colts - Pink Floyd - if they pull this off, the crowd will cry out for a Saturday Night appearance

Blue Stars - Love the performers, but the Troopers beat them last year and everyone knows it. This year the judges will score them fairly. Need a fresh creative direction to keep from getting lost in the fray.

Mandarins - YEAH I SAID IT. Wow - what improvement from these guys last year, and I strongly feel they can excel. If they still progress, Mandarins will challenge for a finals spot.

Oregon Crusaders - HUGE improvement from 2012 to 2013. The creativity and cleanliness of their visual package last year got to me. They will definitely be in the hunt, but may likely see 14th or 15th due to the competitiveness of the season.

This concludes my opinion and it is COMPLETELY worthless. But at least I feel better now that it's out of my system.

SOA taking this season off?

Blue Devils -- For the love of Pete, revisit the vibe you had in 2003 with "Phenomenon of Cool". That was the last year the drum corps community begged for BD to win. Entertain the crowd first; innovate like you have over the past decade second; and the Devils will win, without a doubt.

Your post coincided nicely with something I read in a friend's blog post today. He's attending a science fiction and fantasy convention in the San Francisco area, and he quoted something the novelist Tim Powers (The Anubis Gates, On Stranger Tides) said there to describe his attitude as a reader toward authors, to wit:

"You work for me. I'm not meeting you halfway. Bring it to me and make it tasty."

• 3 weeks later...

Oh boy. My first post and it's such a hefty and speculative one. But I've been making way-too-early predictions like this for the last few years, so I may as well contribute.

What I THINK the results will be:

1. Blue Devils -However much I love Carolina Crown and underdog stories, the Blue Devils BARELY missed gold in 2013 and it's been quite a while since they've gone more than one year without a win.

2. Carolina Crown -See above.

3. Santa Clara Vanguard -I see great things for Vanguard this year, but they just haven't had the momentum the last decade that I think could propel them to win this year. It'll be close though.

4. Bluecoats -I think, similar to Crown before 2013, Bloo's due for a win. But I also don't doubt the intense competition in the top four altogether. We'll see.

5. Phantom Regiment -I think Turandot proved that they could do extraordinarily well with a show that's perceived as safe. But Juliet proves otherwise. Maybe I read too much into totally unproven trends.

6. Cadets -I think this year's program can potentially be as laughable as Toy SOULdier back in 2010. But I also have a horrible bias against them that I'm ashamed of. Cadets may be the only corps that I consistently dislike, for reasons I can't fathom.

I think 7-11's always a toss up, but I expect much of the same results that we've seen the last couple years. I put Madison lower than they've been, but I just feel like they're getting too comfortable. Same with BAC really. Maybe Blue Knights can gain some momentum and jump up a few spots. Also, I just don't put much faith in Cavies these days, but I think the program is interesting enough that, with the right amount of effort from staff and membership, things could turn around for them. Finally, I just REALLY want Troopers back in finals. I put them at 11th mostly because I think they're horribly underrated and Blue Stars haven't been the least bit exciting since 2010.

7. Cavaliers

8. Boston Crusaders

9. Blue Knights

10. Madison Scouts

11. Troopers

12. Blue Stars. Edit: Or spirit I guess. I feel bad for this, but I totally forgot about them. Now that I really think about it, I see Spirit rounding out finals a more likely situation than Blue Stars.

If it were up to ME, the top 6 would be:

1. Santa Clara Vanguard

2. Blue Devils

3. Phantom Regiment

4. Carolina Crown

5. Bluecoats

6. Madison Scouts

But this is all just fun speculating. There you go.

Edited by KirkAnthony
  • Like 1

1. BD dominance is not forever. Their "newness of design" is no longer new.

2. Crown is not an underdog at this point. They have remained in the top 4 since 2008 including 2 silver medals and 1 gold.

3. Cadets have placed out of the top 5 once or twice since 1982.

4. I agree it would be nice to see someone new in the top 3 like Bluecoats or SCV but I would rather it be Bluecoats. I just don't like the

fact that one corps may have tons of money and is buying up the best staff money can buy to win. I know life is unfair but I like corps that

succeed by sheer talent, emotion and drive.