The staff merrigoround

Last few years there have been many staff changes made quite quickly after DCI. So who is going where and will they have a significant affect on the corps next year?

Not as easy as it sounds. Someone has to want to leave a program and go to a new one. Only a few big money corps that can do that. SCV is really the biggest player in this arena and its taking them a long time to get a medal let alone win. Les MIS was great but was really a 1995 style show with props, hardly an innovative product at a time where the GE guys are rewarding newness, depth, and complexity. The kids performed the heck out of a show that could have easily placed 5-6 with a lesser calibre of MM's.

And finished with the highest score for a 4th place show of all time.

Any other year, more or less, they get third with that score. .15 off of 97.

It seemed to me a medal worthy show with 3 other medal worthy shows. What held them back was book difficulty, not anything to do with visuals. Getting 3s and 2s for GEV and Vis subcaptions and captions. Les mis has great music, but not the most difficult of shows. They had to beef the show up a lot to keep it competitive with the top 3. And they performed the heck out of it getting a 97 in the brass performance subcaption. Where cadets and BD both got 98s. Th design also held back their music analysis. The visual design was great and was rewarded by the judges.

• Like 2

Onto the OP.

Things we already know- vou is new director of BAC. How this will impact them, i do not know. Might want to make a name for himself and push for a certain style of show. Really have no clue. Talented group of players though.

I dont anticipate changes to BD, Cadets, or SCV. All have rocking staffs.

If crown doesnt feel their current perc staff is up to stuff they might look for new staff/arranger. But i have a feeling they are confident in them.

Phantom and cavies need additions. Where it will come from, i do not know. Phantom would have been solidly in the 94s maybe 95 with a competitve percussion. I am personally surprised cavies were not passed on finals by madison and BAC. Not saying its due to name recognition, but i felt both BAC and madison were noticeably better than cavies last night. I dont know how young cavies are, but if they are young its a good sign. If they arent then i can see a trend of the tristate population opting for other options than cavies. Such as madison or phantom. Not good for cavies. But they do need better shows, better arrangements. Their perc is still solid, and that should hold them up for a bit while they search.

Bluecoats. They sound great, but visually the have much to be desired compared to the phantom, scv, cadets, bd, crown shows. If they can up their show design somehow they can really challenge the top tier. Their percussion is great. I definitely see a new designer making a big impact immediately on the corps.

Spirit needs something. Their shows excite the fans. They are young. But the past 3 years they have hit a wall at the end. Maybe make a show with more potential? Hopefully they get a lot of returning members and are able to put out a more difficult book (that also significantly differs from their last few shows).

Will we see major changes this off season? I will say no. Most corps are comfortable with their staffs it seems. Things we could see... idk. An exodus of bloo percussion staff to phantom?

• Like 1

Not as easy as it sounds. Someone has to want to leave a program and go to a new one. Only a few big money corps that can do that. SCV is really the biggest player in this arena and its taking them a long time to get a medal let alone win. Les MIS was great but was really a 1995 style show with props, hardly an innovative product at a time where the GE guys are rewarding newness, depth, and complexity. The kids performed the heck out of a show that could have easily placed 5-6 with a lesser calibre of MM's.

Leave it to DCP to give you minuses for this...

• Like 6

Rumored changes heard during the weekend;

Phantom - Percussion. I have heard Rob Fergusion's name as a possibilty with no Glassmen

Bluecoats Understand Micheal Gray is leaving. Need somone who understands staging and the sheets to coordinate the visual program

Bluestars - Should upgrade drill and visual. Heard Mike Shapiro was retiring

Pioneer - Better but need someone to tie it all together.

Same can be said for Pacific Crest, Cascades, Cavaliers plus Cavaliers brass was a major weakness.

Rumored changes heard during the weekend;

Phantom - Percussion. I have heard Rob Fergusion's name as a possibilty with no Glassmen

Bluecoats Understand Micheal Gray is leaving. Need somone who understands staging and the sheets to coordinate the visual program

Bluestars - Should upgrade drill and visual. Heard Mike Shapiro was retiring

Pioneer - Better but need someone to tie it all together.

Same can be said for Pacific Crest, Cascades, Cavaliers plus Cavaliers brass was a major weakness.

Sorry skipped Spirit. Needs to upgrade drill designer, Colts need a music arranger that is more advanced.