GOLDEN EMPIRE PERFORMING ARTS

If you haven't heard yet, a new drum corps will be starting up next season in Bakersfield CA!

GOLDEN EMPIRE DRUM CORPS

http://www.geperformingarts.org/

There are things that bother me about this corps' website, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who noticed them:

No names of anyone in charge, anyone on staff, No contact information, no address (not even a PO Box), no phone number.

Of course, you can email them at "contact@geperformingarts.org", but that's it. There is absolutely no specific information about anything at all - but GE Performing Arts ask interested young people to submit their personal information right away by clicking a "JOIN" button and filling out a web form.

Also, the website says this is an Open Class corps - yet there are no posts about it in the OC forum as far as I can tell.

Nick - you may not realize it, but there have been some fly-by-night operations out there that have duped people, and some of us in the drum corps community have become a bit wary if there is a lack of actual names and locations listed, among other things. If you are involved in this corps, more information - including contact information other than an email address - would go a long way in helping people know it's the real deal.

• Like 2

1st. This drum corps is being ran by amazing people.

2nd. The website is temporary to gather interest.

3rd. The only reason I posted this was to share a positive start to a long awaited group.

4th. More details will be coming soon.

All drum corps had to start somewhere. It takes years to establish a program and this will be Golden Empires first year. Be supportive and understand that this drum corps is in fact brand new and under the direction of very smart and talented people. Thank you

• Like 1

Just throwing this out there...

Instead of starting with kids that are really old enough to compete, why not focus on kids 6-10 years old and growing a very local program over the next 10 years.

If you can retain those kids while building up the financial base, you will have an incredible group 10 years down the road.

Unless you have a highly unique financial situation (able to create a SUSTAINABLE revenue stream that will predictably generate min $500k+ per year), you will not be able to create a competitive program any faster than this.... so, why even start with older kids?

Very cool that you are wanting to create a new group... but would advise to take it extremely slow and steady and focus on creating a program for younger kids first that would later split into more than one group (younger kids and older) to have a steady local feeder program.

• Like 1

Slow and steady is definitely the plan. Its a very positive beginning and I'm excited to see what this can grow into over the coarse of many years.

There were 42 North American junior corps that were on the field this summer, but there were another 33 juniors that had nothing whatsoever to do with any DCI shows.

Those 33 did parades/standstills/concerts throughout North America. It is possible to exist outside the boundaries of DCI, especially if you are just starting out.

Best wishes.

• Like 5