Dci at Lambeau Field Green Bay, Wi

We did a show there in 1984. I remember it being the most lush, perfectly manicured field I'd ever set foot on. I also remember our equipment truck almost going up in flames on the way to the show.

Shawn

I do recall that a large regional show was held at the stadium while I was marching and the Packers said they would never allow a full corps show again due to the impact to the grass - but they don't have a grass field any more.

The turf at Lambeau Field is still natural grass with a bit of a twist. They injected synthetic fibers into the base to stop typical wear and tear such as divots. Beyond that, it's still a natural Kentucky Bluegrass turf that could potentially suffer from a full corps show. They still have a high tech heating system under the field to maintain a consistent soil temperature during cold weather. In addition, they also added an artificial lighting system in recent years that extends the growing season into early December.

FIELD-articleLarge.jpg

• Like 1

Housing issues are not an issue green bay is the third largest city in Wisconsin with an estimate of 250,000 residents in the County. Plenty of schools 2 colleges , 4 high schools in the city many more surrounding not to mention elementary schools. Also fox citys, Appleton all within 25 min drive housing not an issue hotels deffintley not an issue 70,000 packer fans every other weekend find places to stay DCI would lucky to have 30,000 for a major show. Next issue?

Edited by Runitagain

It's been a long time since I saw Wisconsin HS marching bands, and then it was only parades & football games (when more folks still came to watch the game rather than the halftime show). I'm curious, is there a significant competitive state HS marching band activity in Wisconsin? If so, are there any big HS competitions in NE Wis and/or the Fox Valley? Who has the best MB programs? Just wondering what kind of HS bandos a drum corps show would bring to Lambeau. I left the area years ago but still have family and friends in the area with HS kids. Judging from their responses to my and my kids' drum corps involvement, I would think that attendance (other than bandos and their parents) would be more of a novelty or curiosity at best, rather than a large contingent of drum corps-familiar fans.

It's been a long time since I saw Wisconsin HS marching bands, and then it was only parades & football games (when more folks still came to watch the game rather than the halftime show). I'm curious, is there a significant competitive state HS marching band activity in Wisconsin? If so, are there any big HS competitions in NE Wis and/or the Fox Valley? Who has the best MB programs? Just wondering what kind of HS bandos a drum corps show would bring to Lambeau. I left the area years ago but still have family and friends in the area with HS kids. Judging from their responses to my and my kids' drum corps involvement, I would think that attendance (other than bandos and their parents) would be more of a novelty or curiosity at best, rather than a large contingent of drum corps-familiar fans.

Wisconsin isn't a real strong state when it comes to marching bands, but there are a good number of competing units. There are 34 bands scheduled to compete in our state championships in October. Out of that, 19 of the bands are from what I would consider to be the Milwaukee area. The remaining 15 bands are scattered across the state from the Madison area all the way up to the northwoods of Wisconsin. There are additional bands that aspire to march competitively, but various reasons are holding them back.

The only thing that might work in favor of a drum corps show is the fact that there used to be so many of them in the region during the days of DCM, and now there's only a couple. For example, the season always opened in the Appleton/Menasha area for Americanos home show. Usually there were a handful of other shows scattered about the area as well. Now days there's only a couple shows in the state, so people may be more willing to venture out and travel a little ways to attend one.

Edited by PioneerWebmaster

They hold concerts in the stadium, big truck events, etc. etc. Having a drum corps show may not be an issue at all. Plenty of area housing if the schools cooperate, more than enough hotels. If Oshkosh, WI (Pop: 70,000--give or take) can host the EAA (Experimental Aircraft Association) annual convention with (some years) upwards of one million attending; the Green Bay area and Laaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmmmmmbeau Field would be a "no-brainer"for a DCI event, or the championships. Of course "$$$ talks, buIIshlt walks"

They don't hold big truck events or monster truck events in lambeau they do across the street at the resch center and brown county arena

Wisconsin isn't a real strong state when it comes to marching bands, but there are a good number of competing units. There are 34 bands scheduled to compete in our state championships in October. Out of that, 19 of the bands are from what I would consider to be the Milwaukee area. The remaining 15 bands are scattered across the state from the Madison area all the way up to the northwoods of Wisconsin. There are additional bands that aspire to march competitively, but various reasons are holding them back.

The only thing that might work in favor of a drum corps show is the fact that there used to be so many of them in the region during the days of DCM, and now there's only a couple. For example, the season always opened in the Appleton/Menasha area for Americanos home show. Usually there were a handful of other shows scattered about the area as well. Now days there's only a couple shows in the state, so people may be more willing to venture out and travel a little ways to attend one.

I'll concure with Tim. As a director (and new transplant to Wisconsin) of one of those competitive units (Waukesha North), there are a wide range of marching bands, to the numbers he mentioned, along with about 4 summer circuit marching bands in a circuit of field marching called MACBDA. About 3-4 of those bands including mine go to Bands of America. This past summer, their championships were in Whitewater and Pioneer did an exhibition performance there. I would think with the population that is there as well as the drum corps fans who are still around from the heavy DCM days, it would be a feasible show.

LRD

Better Marching Programs in WI: Waukesha North, Waukesha West, Oak Creek, Greendale, River Falls, Cedarburg, Chippewa Falls. Waukesha South is on the rise. I'm sure there are others, these were off the top of my head.

Lansing Dimon

Assistant Director, Waukesha North HS

Whew, that's a lot more than I had figured!

I have seen Cedarburg, West Bend, and Germantown's bands perform, but knew of only a handful that competed: Lutheran Vanguard (Appleton), Lighthouse Brigade (Milw?), Shadow Armada (Oregon?), Waukesha, and Sun Prairie. Madison Scout's Whitewater Classic had some of them perform prior to the DCI competition.

I have performed at Lambeau with the Americanos (early-mid 70s, was really quite thrilling!), and I'd certainly love to see Green Bay's revamped stadium host a show. The region could easily accommodate the corps.

edit: oops, forgot West Bend... :tongue:

Edited by JonW