DCI's Support of Open Class - The other side.

You know, I see many posts in the Open Class forum ranting about how DCI doesn't support the class. I don't agree.

First off, I believe DCI is simply a sanctioning body for the activity. While they have some responsibility to the fans to make sure they're getting the best product they can, it's up to the individual corps to run their business. DCI can't be expected to be involved in every corps financial decisions and they shouldn't be. Just as Open Class is a stepping stone for many kids that are building their experience and skills, I think that is true also of the management of these groups. Just as with any business, some succeed, some don't. There's a reason the top groups are always the top groups and it's not just talent.

I do believe that DCI actually does support these groups. They give them venues and performance opportunities. They do market these shows and ticket prices are lower for Open Class only events.

So how do you blame DCI when people don't go to these shows?? I've been involved as a staff member with a couple of different Open Class groups. I've been to the end of season shows that determined seeding for Open Class prelims. Not very many people go. Never a problem getting a good seat. Heck, there are still plenty of seats for Open Class finals. I've been to the Cavaliers home show in Michigan City over the July 4 weekend numerous times and the stands are packed compared to Open Class finals. How do you blame DCI for that? Ticket prices are lower. The shows are advertised. People don't go. As a matter of fact, I've read many reviews on DCP of shows that have Open Class groups prior to World Class groups in which these "die hard" fans don't get there in time to see the Open Class corps. Instead, they show up later for the top groups. Is that wrong? Not necessarily, but you can't blame DCI for that.

Add to that the difficulty in finding people willing to put on a strictly Open Class show. Putting OC shows on costs money, less than a World Class show, but still it's not cheap. Add to that the fact that people aren't going to these shows, it makes it difficult to do them. It's a vicious cycle.

It's a competitive activity. And in any competitive arena, more money directly equates to being more competitive. It's a fact of life and it's easy to fall into that trap and groups have to be careful. But once again, it's a business that is run by the corps management, not DCI.

So, it's pretty easy to sit in the cheap seats and take shots without knowing everything involved. I don't claim to know everything about the activity or the groups involved in it. However, I would say this to those that complain. If you know so much, why aren't you doing something about it?

Will I get torched by many for this? Probably, but that's ok. I'm pretty sure I'll still sleep just fine. :smile:

• Like 6

I have no idea whether to take your post seriously or not. First, you say you "have been to" those seeding shows and the stands are empty. Evidently, you were not there this year - certainly not in Avon Lake.

Then you say DCI "gives" venues to open class. Sorry, but those venues have to be paid for. Open class runs their separate tour on their separate budget. They do not get their venues "given" to them.

As for the Michigan City show the Cavaliers run, that show is held on a Saturday night. You probably realize that Saturday night events draw better than, say, a Monday or Tuesday night. Then again, if you missed Avon Lake, you missed a tangible reminder of that fact.

I've been to the end of season shows that determined seeding for Open Class prelims. Not very many people go. Will I get torched by many for this? Probably, but

Not to disagree with you on the shows that you've attended, but this was not the case this year in Avon Lake, Ohio. This show featured all Open Class Corps, yet it was marketed simply as a "drum corps show" and promoted effectively within the local community. As a result, the people came out. It was a great night for drum corps. I hope the show returns again next year.

I did not get to Avon Lake. Glad it was well attended. One note on that is that David Eddelmen who is the DCI Open Class Coordinator is also band director at Avon Lake. That might have played into it. David does a great job working for the Open Class groups. And sure a Saturday will draw more than a weeknight, but a World Class weeknight will still outdraw an Open Class weeknight. Avon Lake may have done well in terms of attendance, but I doubt that can be said for all Open Class only events.

Yes, I know venues are not given. We looked into hosting a drum corps show a few years ago. At that time, Open Class cost the host less than World Class but there is considerable cost and you also knew going into it that the draw was going to be less. Some of that may have changed. I can't answer that.

I am serious. My point is simply that DCI is not completely to blame as many are quick to accuse. As I said earlier, I don't know everything about it and don't claim to. But again, the majority that are railing DCI don't either.

• Like 1

I did not get to Avon Lake. Glad it was well attended. One note on that is that David Eddelmen who is the DCI Open Class Coordinator is also band director at Avon Lake. That might have played into it. David does a great job working for the Open Class groups. And sure a Saturday will draw more than a weeknight, but a World Class weeknight will still outdraw an Open Class weeknight. Avon Lake may have done well in terms of attendance, but I doubt that can be said for all Open Class only events.

Yes, I know venues are not given. We looked into hosting a drum corps show a few years ago. At that time, Open Class cost the host less than World Class but there is considerable cost and you also knew going into it that the draw was going to be less. Some of that may have changed. I can't answer that.

I am serious. My point is simply that DCI is not completely to blame as many are quick to accuse. As I said earlier, I don't know everything about it and don't claim to. But again, the majority that are railing DCI don't either.

Quite frankly one can not compare a show that features the OC corps while on tour, with any local shows (except for California?)

In the east, there are only 3 corps left, Spartans, 7th Regiment and Raiders. In the Midwest I believe there are only 2, Legends and Racine Scouts.

I attend the OC show in Manchester NH this year. Les Stentors came down from Canada and Legends came out, Spartans, 7th and Raiders. The Manchester alumni corps put on an exhibition. It was a good show but attendance was not that great.

I know DCI charges several thousands to host an OC show, I think about $7000 this year, and that's before you get the stadium, housing and practice fields for each corps.

Your right, it's not totally DCI's fault, but, the amount they charge does create a problem for some corps, as it did for you.

With budgets being as tight as they are, I can see why there are so few OC shows.

• 2 weeks later...

Quite frankly one can not compare a show that features the OC corps while on tour, with any local shows (except for California?)

In the east, there are only 3 corps left, Spartans, 7th Regiment and Raiders. In the Midwest I believe there are only 2, Legends and Racine Scouts.

I attend the OC show in Manchester NH this year. Les Stentors came down from Canada and Legends came out, Spartans, 7th and Raiders. The Manchester alumni corps put on an exhibition. It was a good show but attendance was not that great.

I know DCI charges several thousands to host an OC show, I think about $7000 this year, and that's before you get the stadium, housing and practice fields for each corps.

Your right, it's not totally DCI's fault, but, the amount they charge does create a problem for some corps, as it did for you.

With budgets being as tight as they are, I can see why there are so few OC shows.

I've been to 2 Open Class shows, one in Salina, KS in 2004 and one in Omaha, NE a couple years ago maybe 2010. Both shows were well attended by members of those communities. Both shows were entertaining and I was suprised at the talent level as the night progressed each at both shows. I checked into sponsoring a show in our area and DCI quoted us $7,000 dollars in installments leading up to the show and with the last payment due at the show.

The only problem I had with the idea was for a $7,000 dollar purchase I was expecting an advisor or 2 be assigned to us in order to help make sure we ran the show correctly. It just seems wrong to have to shell out all that money up front and not get any support from DCI in return.

I can't imagine a Band teacher trying to get a School District to shell out $7K for an Open or 15K for a World show that usually just breaks even after all expenses are paid. If I were to sponsor a show I would probably start with an Open class show and make sure I had a team of at least 10 dedicated people to help run the thing along with an American Legion Post, VFW Post and a couple dozen kids from the local High School Band.

If advertised enough and with the support of a good team, it is possible to get a good crowd out to see an Open Class Corps show.

Edited by Kansan

• 2 weeks later...

Not to disagree with you on the shows that you've attended, but this was not the case this year in Avon Lake, Ohio. This show featured all Open Class Corps, yet it was marketed simply as a "drum corps show" and promoted effectively within the local community. As a result, the people came out. It was a great night for drum corps. I hope the show returns again next year.

thats awesome. however, the OC tour does often to go places where there's not a lot of people.

for the shows in Western PA, there's more elk in those areas than humans. Those places are at best 5 hours away from the closest corps hometown to the East.

and they run against Allentown. Yet people out there drive to Allentown.

I've been to the end of season shows that determined seeding for Open Class prelims. Not very many people go.

Not to disagree with you on the shows that you've attended, but this was not the case this year in Avon Lake, Ohio. This show featured all Open Class Corps,* yet it was marketed simply as a "drum corps show" and promoted effectively within the local community. As a result, the people came out. It was a great night for drum corps. I hope the show returns again next year.

That's awesome. However, the O.C. tour does often to go places where there's not a lot of people. For the shows in Western PA, there's more elk in those areas than humans.

Yes, the Avon Lake show benefited from being on a Saturday and from being in a large metropolitan area. There are something like 1.5 million people living within a 45-minute drive from that show. The Kalamazoo show one week earlier had a comparable lineup but was not nearly as well attended. Still, I think more than a little credit is due to the show organizers.

*Minor correction to dcf: Avon Lake featured not all but twelve of this year's fourteen championships-bound Open Class corps. Colt Cadets and Racine Scouts were not there.