What's next in the evolution of DCI? Make your predictions here.

If you're talking about Crown's unis, it is really hard to relate them to the show, but they do relate. Black=space, orange stripe=time cotinuum, purple=Einstein's favorite color. If not talking about Crown, sorry for wasting your time.

OK, even if I buy that...I still say it doesn't excuse the fact that they still looked awful. The cinched stripe, the absurdly shaped hats, the cutoff sleeves...Surely there are better ways to create a design out of those colors?!

I've learned to never underestimate just how bad a handful of next year's uniforms can get.

It would work well for visual effect no question. I'm calling it now...LED's will be the next new "thing". WC has already shown it works.

*So many possibilities for creative uses, LED's on the uni's, in the pits, obviously on the drums, woven into the flags...? I'm just curious who ques the color changes, that would take a dedicated individual right?

I hope the next "thing" is the realization drum corps don't need to resort to cheesy gimmicks and technology in the name of being creative. Its synthetic enough already with all the mic's, amps, digital effects, and especially the synths/corny soundbites everyone uses now. I miss the days of acoustic/non-electronic drum corps. It seemed so much more elegant, artistic, and professional. I hope they don't start doing LED stuff, but I guess it goes along with what the trend is- puts a cheesy electronic look to the cheesy electronic sounds. Makes sense.

Edited by funkjazzaxe
  • Like 1

You hear woodwinds on a marching field?

Touché. My college band used only piccolos; no flutes. That managed to cut through.

If you're talking about Crown's unis, it is really hard to relate them to the show, but they do relate. Black=space, orange stripe=time cotinuum, purple=Einstein's favorite color. If not talking about Crown, sorry for wasting your time.

Crown is who I was talking about there, so I really appreciate that answer... as you said, I think it is a big stretch. Is this one of those things where no one gets the uniforms, and then the staff goes to critique and "explains" them so hopefully they get more points the next show?

I guess basically what I think we should consider is: would Crown have scored exactly the same if they performed this show with last year's uniforms?

if the answer is yes, then we don't need to spend money on crazy uniforms. If the answer is no, then we should acknowledge that we are going to be forcing corps to spend more money on unique uniforms every year...

I guess what is staggering is; looking at some very optimistic people with ideas, is the money factor. Rumor had it that the whole get up for WCU and their LED's was around 450,000 grand. What corps has that kind of money to throw around. Here are my plain and simple proposals:

1)Have a blind person judge music

2)Have a deaf person judge visual

3)Have a fan favorite corps (as voted by the fans)

4)Legalize powder (for clarification, to use for effect not to sniff off a mirror)

5)Drug test judges

• Like 1