John's Scranton Regional Review

The tuba feature is, quite frankly, the single best musical moment of the year. Those ten cats throw down a harmonized groove that will knock your socks off. No other tuba line is even close to Cabs. Extra points for being clearly heard at all times during the show too (just get that last guy in the whole show, ok? Yes, I caught that even though you were sneaky about it).

I have been in sort of a man crush with the Caballeros tuba line this year. My god those kids can play. Did you happen to notice they join the hornline in the 16th note pattern right before Paint It Black? I mean it just gets stupid good each time I seem them.

Edited by DCAfan85
  • Like 2

Jonn great review did not expect less from you I know Fusion was using a big RED HEART at the opening of thier show didn't know Sunrisers added one in also?,And Sunrisers have gotten much better throught out the season but thier scores are not refecting that ,So ONE VERY GOOD CORPS IS GOING TO MISS FINALS

Actually, maybe two pretty good Open Class corps won't make it from the looks of it. Everyone in open seems to have a good product performed pretty well from the looks of the scores.

John, thanks for the wonderful review! I wish we had a dozen, or more, people with similar knowledge, writing skills, and courage to provide insights on this level. Makes the season so much better. Double thanks for standing behind what you write with your real name!

• Like 1

Awesome review John. When hate mail comes in that means you're doing it right

• Like 4

John, I wasn't sitting too far from you, and I respectfully disagree on much of your cadets 2 commentary. I thought the feet were still a mess, the low brass was weak, and somebody held over on about5 different releases. Sometimes I wonder if you're on their payroll. :)

I do agree if they clean all these things, they can make a jump, but I honestly thought fusion beat them. I think they might be trying a bit more than they can handle this year while trying to work people in. I wonder how they would do if they wrote the show for who they had in June.

Take some of that as tongue in cheek, I know you know your stuff and am half kidding about the payroll comment. I think what amazes me about these reviews about how people sitting so close together hear and see different things. Should be a great finish in Annapolis.

• Like 4

Thanks for the review John. Glad you are appreciating the work we are putting in! Thanks Adam, hopefully more judges start to see things your way!!!!!

John, I wasn't sitting too far from you, and I respectfully disagree on much of your cadets 2 commentary. I thought the feet were still a mess, the low brass was weak, and somebody held over on about5 different releases. Sometimes I wonder if you're on their payroll. :)

I do agree if they clean all these things, they can make a jump, but I honestly thought fusion beat them. I think they might be trying a bit more than they can handle this year while trying to work people in. I wonder how they would do if they wrote the show for who they had in June.

Take some of that as tongue in cheek, I know you know your stuff and am half kidding about the payroll comment. I think what amazes me about these reviews about how people sitting so close together hear and see different things. Should be a great finish in Annapolis.

Oh, there were those real loose ends with timing I'll get to in my own review, Adam. I'll explain the dillemma I think the Brass judges are facing with them there. There's a LOT of good there, and the tattiness at times is frankly shocking after hearing so many good things from their ensemble. I'd imagine their Brass staff's going gray and/or bald over it. :satisfied:

I started going gray my last year with a band I worked with for several years when they had a bad Senior Class. I know it can happen. :cool:

I totally understand where you are coming from, and why you'd think Cadets2 should have been further down. The difference for me, and likely the judges as well (just looking at the recap gives the clue) is a matter of derived achievement. Is Fusion "cleaner"? Yes, they likely are. But the program they are performing is not nearly as demanding as Cadets2. In turn, Cadets2 may not be as clean as Fusion (or Statesmen, for that matter), but they are achieving their far more demanding program at a high enough level to get credit.

That's why I have them up, and why the judges did too (except the visual ensemble judge, who thought Statesmen were the bees' knees for whatever reason). Now, we can argue the merits of derived achievement of you want to, but that's how the system works.

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 3

"Scranton Review":

Very good article. Thanks for the effort.

Elphaba

Thanks for the comments John...they are most appreciated!!

Edited by FPonzo