2013 Attendance numbers are out

Did you forget the "IMO" part, George?

And, if not, again, where will the market close next Tuesday. Surely that's easier for you to see than 5 years from now, eh?

tongue.gif/>

No I didn't forget. It will get extended another 10 years. :tongue:

• Like 2

I think your 42K number is a bit on the high side for Finals in Montreal. I was in attendance, and I think the Finals Night attendance there was around 35-38,000. I think there is a still picture out there on the web where DCI flashed across to the audience in Olympic Stadium that nite that something like 37K something were in attendance for Finals. But you are correct that DCI had bigger crowds at Finals thru the 80's than they do today at Finals. Some potential attendees stayed home too, as you could get the Finals live on TV in some of the years.

Well, that is the number that I was told long ago. You could be right at it being slightly lower. I marched in the stadium that year and let me just say...it was FULL...end zones and some in the back as well. Whatever the actual number is/was, it is still almost double what it is currently. And I WILL stand by my statement that is makes me sad. ;)

Finals is, without question, a successful event.

How to fix Prelims? Semis? Make them more successfuller?

well if you eliminate the top corps, you kill the movie theater event

My reasoning for it not going anywhere for a long, long time (even after 2018):

Apparently the Tom Blair team has basically said that LOS, with the roof closed, and the black curtain, is essentially the most ideal setup to video and produce wonderful quality video (and it is) that they can possibly, much more ideal than going outside and dealing with the weather conditions.

That, coupled with the (mostly) centralized location to the bulk of competitive units, and the closeness to the DCI office...

...mean it's not likely to leave LOS for a long, long time.

he just forgot to mention all the edits with licensing issues

Apparently, they forget that "video" also contains audio.

Have you watched the BluRay product? Audio is phenomenal, especially after they replaced the mics in 2012.

Very good point!

We keep discussing the live shows, which of course is very important, but DCI has to consider all of their presentations of champs week.

Have you watched the BluRay product? Audio is phenomenal, especially after they replaced the mics in 2012.

Have they replaced whoever decided to jack up the level of every ballad on the CDs in recent years? That would be far more significant. I have not bought any physical media for 2012 yet, figuring that the APDs would be a far more accurate representation than the CDs, and more complete than the edited video products.

But I am wandering further off topic - my previous post was only meant to point out that an indoor facility is not the optimal sound stage for drum corps. I can see why the production team likes it, as their job is made easier by eliminating the variable weather and lighting of the outdoors. But the end result is a tradeoff, where we get better video by compromising on audio. No matter how fine a job the crew does, the audio result cannot be as good indoors as it could be outdoors.

he just forgot to mention all the edits with licensing issues

If I am recalling correctly, the Thursday night viewing availabilities at the theaters (pre-lims a/k/a quarter finals) was possible because Thursday is an off night at most cinemas while Friday and Saturday nights are not.

Not only that, but if you eliminate the Top 15 corps how many fans will come out? If the stands are fairly empty for Open Class and bottom 7 or 8 WC corps, why would the attendance increase with those bottom 7 corps being the top draw? I mean, I like Colts & Mandarins & Oregon Crusaders, but if they're the top draw I don't see attendance improving, even if they're giving away tickets.