2013 Attendance numbers are out

I can't disagree with your analysis, and certainly, everyone who would love to be at Finals in person can't be, for any number of reasons.

Still, for those who can, there is NO substitute for the awesome glory that is live drum corps.

Not to mention the benefit to the performers of a huge excited audience.

Still, for those who can, there is NO substitute for the awesome glory that is live drum corps.

I would add that audience members enjoy being part of a full house. A sold-out facility makes people think they've spent their money well. My friends were stunned as we came to the stadium in Massillon, first by the line of cars backed up down the road, then by the fans gathered around various parts of the grounds merely to watch corps rehearse, and most of all, as we drove around to the parking lot that looks down from behind the visitor side, by the size of the crowd that filled the stands. They had no idea marching band could be so popular!

(The only downside to a big crowd is long lines, particularly if the stadium staff are unprepared for them --as as the case at Bowling Green-- or the facility is not properly equipped. My friends found Massillon's women's restrooms to be woefully inadequate in number of stalls.)

Looking at the trends of seating, looks like the domed stadium isn't really killing Finals attendance. Would appear that having Finals in Orlando, which is a huge travel destination did. Last year in Orlando to this year's attendance is an 8,000 person swing.

HUGE swing.

I only attended finals down there once. It was too much of a "roll the dice" situation for me

It could downpour. It could be so hot it was miserable.

Plus it was much more expensive for hotels, food and airfare.

I'm sure others like the "predictability" of Indy. And it is a very affordable destination.

Agreed. Never underestimate or discount that intrinsic value. Worth the world to the performers

We are a performance activity after all. :music: The audience is KEY.

to be quite honest in many ways: Indy is a great city for the championships, but not every year for ever. I went once and will never go again, ONLY because the sound is so horrible that it isn't worth my money. I will go to other shows in its place. I am sure I am not alone. Another reason for the change or stagnation or small increase in numbers is that people aren't going on vacation to the same location EVERY year, unless you have a huge vacation spot such as Hawaii maybe. The rotation of location gave people new experiences and things to do and see. Ten years in the same city is just too much for most. Not for everyone, but for most. The change in the fact that you can now view shows in the theater has for sure made it easier to not go to the show also. Many reasons for different people. It isn't the death knell that most envision. Indy would be fine for the ending place if they are never going to move finals ever again, but at least find a stadium where the sound isn't so bad.

Agreed!

For comparison's sake:

FINALS

2013 Oil Can - 20,381; (6,623 Quarters; 10,457 Semis; Open Class 1,415; TOTAL = 38,877 (World Only = 37,462))

2012 Oil Can - 17,820; (6,647 Quarters; 12,027 Semis; Open Class 1,308; TOTAL = 37,802 (World Only = 36,494))

2011 Oil Can - 17,363; (6,903 Quarters; 12,351 Semis; Open Class 1,191; TOTAL = 37808 (World Only = 36,617))

2010 Oil Can - ?? (Reports say 2011 was an increase over 2010, so make your own estimations)

2009 Oil Can - ??

2008 Bloomington, IN - ??? (I'd estimate somewhere around 20k; The stadium seated about 49k and the entire home half seemed about 95% full)

2007 Pasadena, CA - 24,309 (8,966 Quarters; Semifinals 13,877; Div II/III events 3,221; TOTAL = 50,373 (Div 1 Only = 47,152))

2006 Madison, WI - 21,232 (8,871 Quarters; Semifinals 14,624; Div II/III events 4,190; TOTAL = 48,917 (Div 1 Only = 44,727))

2005 Foxboro, MA - 20,542

2004 Denver, CO - 22,047

2003 Orlando, FL - 18,865

2002 Madison, WI - 20,230

2001 Buffalo, NY - 16,406

2000 Washington, DC - 18,423

1999 Madison, WI - 19,931

1998 Orlando, FL - 12,693

1997 Orlando, FL - 13,773

1996 Orlando, FL - 13,771

1995 Buffalo, NY - 19,100

1994 Foxboro, MA - 24,513

Just looking at the numbers:

* Stay away from Orlando

* Go back West for better numbers.

* Oil Can isn't terrible, but it definitely killed the nice run from 2002 - 2007.

* Band Directors and fans are likely taking huge advantage of the Theater "Big Loud & Live" production rather than actually going to Finals weekend.

* DCI does a nice job of killing Open Class corps and attendance.

* 2013 dropped Semis numbers but raised Finals.

Go all the way back and you will see that attendance hit a high of almost 42K at Montreal '82 finals! Sad that it has nearly dropped in half.

Go all the way back and you will see that attendance hit a high of almost 42K at Montreal '82 finals! Sad that it has nearly dropped in half.

That number keeps growing (and dramatically so, it seems) every time I see it thrown about.

• Like 4

I wonder who those 2 new fans were in 1997.

Ben and Meg Teshning from King of Prussia, PA. They were in town for a swim meet at the adjoining Olympic pool complex and took a wrong turn.