My ideal DCI finals weekend...

U seem more into the pub and restaurant scence.

Good beer and good food make any vacation better....especially drumcorps.

My ideal finals weekend: Great hotel within walking distance, open stadium, all corps Friday and Saturday, soaking in the atmosphere of finals and being blown away but some corps that hits their stride in the last few days.

You know, there are psychologists who can help talk you through this psychosis of yours. Really, they can help.

Wishing to relive one's youth is not an uncommon affliction, but most would agree that, at some point, you have to make the decision to move on with your life.

With work and constant attention to what's good in the activity you'll be able to destroy these monsters in your head. I promise. And you can look forward to a much more enjoyable future if you'll just trust those around you and be open to the possibility that there's a better life ahead for you.

You can do it. It's really nothing, compared to the effort the MM's expend in the course of a season.

Thanks Dr. Phil. You do realize by attacking someone else for their feelings makes you the one with psychosis, right? You do realize as much as my lists are unpopular I never set an offensive attack on someone for what they think? I use alot of manners to illustrate MY opinion. My opinion is never an attack at someone else's opinion. That would make me a loser. You can drum up consensus from the other losers who do the same thing...but...it still makes you a personal loser. You don't like my dream weekend? Than keep it to yourself.

Thanks Dr. Phil. You do realize by attacking someone else for their feelings makes you the one with psychosis, right? You do realize as much as my lists are unpopular I never set an offensive attack on someone for what they think? I use alot of manners to illustrate MY opinion. My opinion is never an attack at someone else's opinion. That would make me a loser. You can drum up consensus from the other losers who do the same thing...but...it still makes you a personal loser. You don't like my dream weekend? Than keep it to yourself.

You don't like the current state of Drum Corps? Then keep it to yourself.

• Like 1

Absolutely! There are two shows, the parking lot and the stadium.

Hey, it's your money, but really, you're going to spend the cash to get to Indy and not see the Crossmen do their thing on the field? The Troopers? Surf? The lot is a bunch of fun, but if you're NOT going to be in the stands to see the 13-20 corps -- half of which are serious finalist contenders -- then you're squandering your money, IMO.

Fly in on Wednesday. Get your lot fix, about 16 hours of it, on Thursday while the rest of world huddles in theaters across the country. Then get thee to a seat on Friday and Saturday.

Bonus: two extra nights of pub time.

My ideal finals weekend is simple.

Camp Randall (Madison) or Centurylink Field (Seattle).

My dream Finals weekend begins with the arrival of my good friend, Alumniof, and, with the _Kid, setting off in the motor home for the short 3-hour trip to Indy. (I had another dream about going to Allentown, but I want to stay on-topic.) On the way, we swap stories of past seasons and shows, and I can see the excitement build in Alumi's eyes the closer we get our destination. The normal 30-minute set-up time at our campsite is compressed to less than 15, as Alumi pushes us to get going. "Come on", he says, "Hurry up. I want to get to the stadium when it opens so we don't miss anything!" I chuckle to myself, recalling my kids' excitement as we prepare for our annual summer trek to the amusement parks. Soon, we're in the car and on our way to Lucas.

As we near the stadium, Alumni asks me to drop him off at the stadium while I park the car. "I want to take some pictures of the stadium and crowd so I never forget being here!" After parking, the _Kid and I meet up with Alumni, who's pacing impatiently at the front gate. "Hurry up! I thought you'd gotten lost or something!", he implores. As we rush through the gate and to the stadium doors, Alumni already has his wallet out, making sure he's ready to attack the souvie booths. He stops at nearly every booth and begins to accumulate bag upon bag of trinkets and mementos. The _Kid and I pace ourselves, knowing there are several INT's coming for us to do our shopping, and we wander off to window shop. When we meet up again with Alumni a few minutes later, he's weighted down with 10 or 11 bags of stuff, looking every bit like a kid stocking up on supplies in anticipation of the beginning of the school year. After some discussion about where to keep this stuff during the show (he has the equivalent of two full seats worth of stuff and he wants to take it all into the stadium so he can pull out each souvie and inspect it again) I finally convince him to rent a locker to store it all. Grudgingly, he agrees, but promises to go to the locker at each INT and change his selection of hats so he can root for each corps as it takes the field.

After storing his prizes, Alumni nearly runs to our seats. The _Kid and I have learned from experience how to navigate through the throng of fans, but Alumni rushes ahead of us with a steely determination that challenges us to keep up with him. He bee-lines to the concessions and loads up on drinks and snacks enough for all of us before, finally, we arrive at our seats a full fifteen minutes prior to the opening ceremonies.

As _the Kid and I say hello to old friends we haven't seen in a year, Alumni sits down in a daze. Still holding his drink and popcorn (and wearing his Blue Saints hat) his eyes glaze over as he takes in the expanse of the building. The DCI banner hanging across 60 yards of the backfield, the pit equipment beginning to filter in, the jumbo-tron showing video of past shows - it all seems to be a bit much for my friend, Alumni, as his wide-eyed amazement slowly turns into a broad smile. As I sit down next to him he turns to me and says "This is going to be SO much fun!". I enjoy the thought of doing finals with someone whose enjoyment of the spectacle nearly matches mine.

As the show begins, Alumni's appreciation of each corps, of each performer, never waivers but, instead, grows stronger and stronger as the day moves along. I'm reminded of the arcade game "Whack-a-mole" watching Alumni give multiple standing-O's to each corps. He's on his feet during every closer and, after each cutoff, turns to me with nearly constant comments about the show just ended. "Did you see...?" "Wasn't that cool when...?" "That was a great show!" "Those kids! They worked hard, and they'll never forget this!". His appreciation of the work and talent on the field is obvious, and the impact of this day on the performers lives is not lost in Alumni's appreciation of their effort.

At one point, late in the evening at the end of, I think, the third-to-last performance, I glance at Alumni who's now sitting raptly motionless as the crowd applauds the final cutoff. A tear is running down his cheek and I can tell he's choking back a flood of tears. I watch him dab his eyes with a napkin. As the crowd dies down and I sit again, I turn to him with a broad smile. "That...was...beautiful.", he says to me while blowing his nose. I just smile and pat him on the arm in recognition that, sometimes, a show just grips you and steals the air from your lungs; he's just had one of "those" moments. I'm so glad for him, and for me. We share a strong bond of love and enjoyment, and his being there with us makes our enjoyment all the stronger.

After gathering Alumni's armfuls of souvies and leaving the stadium, I'm totally exhausted after the long day of excitement and spectacle. We head to the nearby watering hole for a beverage, and Alumni chats with nearly every one of the drum corps throng there with us. The conversations and debates at the bar go on for an hour as we recall show after show, recognizing the accomplishment and drawbacks of each show. Still, at the end of the discussion of each show, Alumni reminds us all that "Those kids will never forget what they've done here."

The next two days are much the same, with Alumni's excitement renewed each morning. Everywhere we go to eat and visit, Alumni's a chatter-box of stories from his past drum corps experiences and the spectacle we witness each day. His excitement swells into finals and, after the encore, Alumni's red eyes and sore hands are proof that he's had the time of his life. On the way out of the stadium he says "This was the most amazing time! I've had an absolute ball these last three days! I'm so glad I got to come with you, and I can't wait to come back again next year if you'll let me!" I realize how much more fun I've had with Alumni there to enhance my own enthusiasm, and I quickly agree to save a ticket for him next year. "I'm definitely coming back", he says, "and I'm going to start saving tomorrow to make it a grand time, even though I can't imagine it getting any better than THIS!"

On the last drive back to the campground, as Alumni and the _Kid chatter away - still - about the time we've had and the shows we've seen, I think to myself "I agree, I can't imagine it getting any better than this".

As I climb into bed and switch off the last of the lights, I can hear Alumni and the _Kid still whispering about the shows, laughing, singing music passages, describing drill moves. As I drift off, the last thoughts I remember are "...so good...almost like...a dream."

Impossible you say?

If there was a gun to my head and I was asked to state what you wrote or the trigger is being pulled... I would be dead. You should have stopped while you were behind. I got tired and lost before the first period....was there a period? Definitely a loser. Thanks for the attention but I'm married.