DCA season too long ?

This is going to pissible open a can of worms but - More and more corps have more and more college aged members. Add that into the fact that Labor day weekend should really be about a time of recovery for membership and the family of members. Why not make say - the Scranton regional when Championships occur or possible one week after DCI Championships. Plus if championships were to be early than Labor Day weekend, the price if the venue would be a bit cheaper and by shortening the season, many groups might possible be in a better fiscally sound situation.

Just wanted to open up a new topic....

• Like 1

Sorry - possible not possible - ha!! Reading glasses somewhat suspect and I am on my iPhone.

Sorry - possible not possible - ha!! Reading glasses somewhat suspect and I am on my iPhone.

I dunno ... I thought pissable was right on target! ... LOL ...

:whistle:

• Like 1

Excellent - ha!!

This is going to pissible open a can of worms but - More and more corps have more and more college aged members. Add that into the fact that Labor day weekend should really be about a time of recovery for membership and the family of members. Why not make say - the Scranton regional when Championships occur or possible one week after DCI Championships. Plus if championships were to be early than Labor Day weekend, the price if the venue would be a bit cheaper and by shortening the season, many groups might possible be in a better fiscally sound situation.

Just wanted to open up a new topic....

Yes. The season is waaaaay too long in my mind. I think it should be over a month earlier or start a month later. I marched 3 seasons there and while I value those experiences, by mid August I was so ready for it to be over.

On the flip side, drum corps is my summer and drum corps is my family. There's my wife, just down the horn arc in the tuba section. We met in the corps, and we stay here because it's that thing we do as a couple and it eats up a lot of our time but we love it and we love that we do drum corps together. My kindergartener is trying desperately to learn trumpet so she can join us. My two year old? Well, everybody starts out as a drummer. Some of us grow up to be horn players, so we'll see how he turns out. But I foresee this being a long-term commitment for our entire family, and the extended family just accepts that (and they have their own hobbies, like rebuilding trucks and weeklong canoe trips and art crawls and other things that we just don't do because drum corps is that much more fun anyway).

My answer may be different when taking into consideration the needs of my corps and our members, but from a personal standpoint... You're asking me if I want a shorter season? To take less time to do what I love? What my family loves? No, not really.

• Like 1

Would quality at championships take a dive with the season three weeks shorter?

• Like 2

yes. The growth I noticed last night in several corps from a month ago would never have happened.

leave it as is. hello it doesnt even start til mid june now anyways

• Like 2

I doubt it. Many corps develop their shows over the course of the summer, adding and tweaking as things go along, so that they peak at the end. That scheule would just be reconfigued.

• Like 1