Drum Corps 2014 - The State of the Activity

Excellent contribution, Lee. This activity should never have become just about impressing us, if you follow me here. It must always be about impressing them. The corps members get this, I'm sure. Just not the adults who turn them loose.

Welcome back!

I don't know Lee's circumstances or the "failure" (corrected to use the word "grief") of which he speaks (and I agree with some of his viewpoints) but, I wonder, is his perception of the activity colored by his "failure" grief?

I do find it interesting that he specifically calls out George Hopkins as being at the genesis of the change he sees. Maybe not complete, but at least some, vindication for those of us who have been saying the same thing here. I wonder if Lee will be labeled a "Hop Hater", too, like many of us are.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 3

I don't know Lee's circumstances or the "failure" of which he speaks (and I agree with some of his viewpoints) but, I wonder, is his perception of the activity colored by his "failure"?

I do find it interesting that he specifically calls out George Hopkins as being at the genesis of the change he sees. Maybe not complete, but at least some, vindication for those of us who have been saying the same thing here. I wonder if Lee will be labeled a "Hop Hater", too, like many of us are.

did it come off as a hater? or does he think Hop is genius !!! was he saying it was a negative? either way just one persons perspective...like most things some will agree some disagree...and we go on business as usual

Edited by GUARDLING

did it come off as a hater? or does he think Hop is genius !!! was he saying it was a negative?

Not particularly, of course (I did read it closely). But, the point of the article is:

Is it better?

If one thinks that it is, then Lee suggests credit goes to Hop for the inspiration of the changes.

But, if one thinks it's not better, and clearly Lee is not convinced, then what's the genesis of the problem and who gets credit for the genesis?

• Like 1

Not particularly, of course (I did read it closely). But, the point of the article is:

Is it better?

If one thinks that it is, then Lee suggests credit goes to Hop for the inspiration of the changes.

But, if one thinks it's not better, and clearly Lee is not convinced, then what's the genesis of the problem and who gets credit for the genesis?

guess it just depends on who reading it and what side of the coin one is.

• Like 1

Is it better?

well, Lee did march for Hop at Cadets, so it could be a hatred of his genius

1980's

1990's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajbSFYV-maQ

2000's

current

There are some difference here. First "MHD" or "MTV" doesn't play music videos much anymore, they have Teen Wolf. They're aiming for the Spike, "Syfy", G4/Esquire, E! audience. ...and it's pretty generic.

That last clip, while artful and complex, was pretty generic and really didn't say anything about MHD other than it's okay to be homogenized or something like "Khao". Yes, nice and pleasant....

The other clips show a creative evolution of the logo reflecting current events for each time ( in music)... They're not as technically perfect, but they different from each other in interesting ways; something like comparing as cassoulet to gumbo. ( I'm hungry)

Drum corps doesn't need to become something completely different, that already exists ( in HS and College). It just needs to keep fresh.

• Like 1