The Year of the Retro Show-

You know how sometimes pro sports teams bring out the retro unies for a game or 2? What if DCI declared that for one season, each DCI corps dusts off a great show from the past of their choosing? Current rules with pits, etc. remain the same, BUT the corps can bring back classic drill or even a stint carrying tympani or a plate line.

Would this be of interest to the masses? Would the directors go for it?

Lastly- would this make that year any more competitive?

• Like 2

I would like to see Phantom 2007 On air on G bugles...but not gonna happen.

• Like 1

I'd be inclined to take the year off unless they are able to turn it into something that I haven't watched on the television or listened to a million times.

• Like 5

I love modern drum corps as long as it isn't cheezy!

No Lady gagu, No lame vocals and suuuupid poems, no hot cross buns. Keep up with the modern music and let the other half of corps play the old tunes! That is how I like it.

• Like 1

You know how sometimes pro sports teams bring out the retro unies for a game or 2? What if DCI declared that for one season, each DCI corps dusts off a great show from the past of their choosing? Current rules with pits, etc. remain the same, BUT the corps can bring back classic drill or even a stint carrying tympani or a plate line.

Would this be of interest to the masses? Would the directors go for it?

Lastly- would this make that year any more competitive?

It's funny you mention this because it makes me think back to last season....and what a complete bust DCI's 40th season was. Honestly..what did they do to create great memories of the big '40'? I am not talking about what the corps programs were. They could have encouraged corps to venture back a bit and go retro. But....they didn't...and there was nothing (IMO) different about the 40th than the 39th season. No promotions, give a ways, extra special events.....pretty much nothing... :thumbdown:

sorry to go down a side-road....

• Like 1

It's funny you mention this because it makes me think back to last season....and what a complete bust DCI's 40th season was. Honestly..what did they do to create great memories of the big '40'? I am not talking about what the corps programs were. They could have encouraged corps to venture back a bit and go retro. But....they didn't...and there was nothing (IMO) different about the 40th than the 39th season. No promotions, give a ways, extra special events.....pretty much nothing... thumbdown.gif

sorry to go down a side-road....

There were shirts. Didn't you get one? It was the same logo, and someone slapped a "40 Years" on it, I found that it was incredibly special and meaningful to own! satisfied.gif (great job, marketing gurus!)

As for the OP, honestly you can't do it. There are alumni corps and their purpose is to recreate the past and show what awesome things the corps achieved over the years. Some alumni corps are permanent, performing every year at multiple events (and I think we'll see more of that with SoundSport), some alumni corps are once every 10 years or so and they are special in that they have a unique opportunity to take in what has happened and mush it all together into one fantastic performance. But, these current kids don't have the responsibility of having to live up to what their corps did in the past, they want the opportunity to create new memories. Can you imagine being told that this year, you are basically going to compete against your corps from 20 years ago, because everyone in the audience is going to compare and contrast your show to what was put on back there. You'll be nitpicked if you don't do high-leg lifts in the exact same spot, if your DM doesn't come out to direct you on the field, if you use different types of equipment as they did BITD. And lets face it, those shows back then were awesome for what they were, but I think to try and recreate them would be a disservice to the members who marched back then, and to the members who march today.

I will give you only two examples off the top of my head: There is a video on Youtube of SCV from 2009 (or 2008 maybe) playing Send in the Clowns, as well as Phantom of the Opera. They are beautiful pieces, and as it is SCV it doesn't disappoint me. But there are many many negative posts about how it doesn't "sound the same" or "feel the same." Same with my alma mater, BD members every year learn a battery of songs that were debuted in the 1970s, including Legend of the One Eyed Sailor, Chase the Clouds, etc, and people don't appreciate it because it isn't the 1976 BD playing it. Heck, even space chords and the ditty are different from when I was there, and I miss the nostalgia, but I don't expect them to play it the exact same way.

All in all, I think it is a great idea, I just don't think the reality would be as great as we might think. We might all want to go back and relive our glory days of late-teenager-hood, but honestly we aren't anymore so lets see what new shows can cause us to get out of our chairs!

Edited by BDStaffAlum
  • Like 1

Hey. There's been a variant of this thread posted every 3-4 days since finals.

Guys, get over it.

Drum corps is never going to be high mark time; military-booted girls with skirts & real rifles; and G bugles playing Broadway tunes in concert formation...Ever again.

I know many will dismiss me as some young punk who knows nothing, but I've seen plenty of old school corps videos. 1955 Madison Scout. 1981 Blue Devils. 1974 SCV. There is some great stuff. Madison's sop soloist from '75 is great in any era.

But, you need to move on. Try to find things you enjoy in 2013. Blue Devils performing the $%@$ out of their show in every regard. Dat flugel solo. Crown having one of the best hornlines ever. SCV & Cadets battery. Is it Black Market Juggler or Legend of the One Eyed Sailor? No, but it is quality. It is excellent. I guarantee the kids on the field feel a similar rush nailing their drill & getting their intricate timing & rhythmic interplay as you did leaving the field with a bloody lip after breaking some press box windows. The content of the shows is different, the experience isn't, really. I know Hop isn't popular, and Lord knows he deserves it sometimes (often...), but I think he's right when he says drum corps is only 10% about the show on the field.

• Like 4

I am on th sies of the fence on this....

I like the idea from a musical point of view. To hear an updated version of Blue Devils 1976 show? That woul be amazing!

Cadets doing the 1983 show? Phatom playing "An American in Paris?" Vanguard playing "Fiddler..." Cots doing the Riverboat show?

Then the other side ....who really cares? Even parents of the kids today weren't born in 1976!They know the drum corps of today.

• Like 2