Diners, Drum Corps, and Drives

we parked in a lot across the street from the stadium and found the Cabs pit as they warmed up. It was a warm and muggy night. We had wanted to watch the drum line and pit when they warmed up together, but the rest of the corps was in an area on the other side of the stadium, so it was pit only for us. Also got to watch the Bucs battery and brass line after Cabs went in.

It was really hard being right outside the stadium watching some warm ups and not going in. Kind of strange how when I have tickets, I want to be in the lot, and when I don't, I want to be in the show! :rolleyes:/>

Kept up with things via Kevin Gamin...AWESOME JOB by him for the whole weekend!

Back at the hotel we relaxed by the bay on the dock. We reflected on some of the great drum corps trips we have taken in our 22+ years together. Our first date was when we met in Montreal at 82 DCI Finals. It was really cool watching the 4th generation perform at a DCA finals. I can't say enough about how much fun she has had this summer being part of the Cabs family.

The next morning we relaxed, (I slept in), and enjoyed the views.

We had wanted to watch Cabs rehearse in the afternoon, but found out they planned on only going to 11:30 so they could go to the stadium to support the alumni corps. We couldn't get a late enough check out to get there and back, so we decided to go downtown again.

Unfortunately, there was not a parking spot to be found anywhere within walking distance, and all the lots were full. After driving around for 45 minutes looking, we headed to the North in search of something to do, and ended up bowling a few games. Well, I would not really describe what I was doing as bowling. We then headed to a pre show dinner at a buffet a few minutes away from the stadium.

9763203D-858E-4CEB-AE53-CC636020F329-1738-0000022D36E33C13_zpsdd7044e5.jpg

IMG_17402.jpg

IMG_1742.jpg

IMG_1745.jpg

IMG_1751.jpg

IMG_1802.jpg

Edited by truman

Finally it was time for some drum corps. We parked on a side street right across from the end zone gate and had a couple cocktails before going in. The entire neighborhood and in fact all of Annapolis was clean and a safe place for families. Honestly, the place just smells of wealth everywhere.

The venue is perfect for DCA. Convenient parking and easy access, historical Navy traditions and memorials, convenient set up for the souvies, big screen in the side 2 end zone, and an a/c equipped VIP area "upstairs". The concessions seemed fairly reasonable and offered good variety. The seating in the premium section is comfortable. The seats all had plaques showing the donor. I wondered about the story of the too short life of the young lady on mine.

IMG_1806.jpg

IMG_1808.jpg

IMG_1809.jpg

IMG_1754.jpg

IMG_1866.jpg

E4E798CB-32E1-4AD5-A783-80A0065F5CCC-3134-000002763096FD8E_zps72ad645e.jpg

Because of all the fine live coverage and the numerous reviews that will be posted, I have decided to just post some pix and general thoughts about the highlights of the show. It was a great night of drum corps. The warm night and venue design provided a great sound from all the corps. I was amazed at the final products compared to what I saw in Wildwood. Really outstanding jobs by everybody. The quality of performance from top to bottom was extremely enjoyable.

First, a couple negatives. I was a little disappointed in a couple things.

The corps never got to troop the stands, a tradition that I feel is an essential part of a DCA show. The retreat format had the corps enter one at a time marching along the back hash, and seemed to take way too long. Because of a local noise ordinance, nobody brought instruments, and the corps could not play their way off after retreat, another DCA tradition I always enjoy. That also meant no victory run for Bucs.

While most of the folks around us were great, somebody had something that didn't agree with them and the stench that seemed to never go away was pretty bad. That was a first for me at a drum corps show!

Some more positive observations...

Shout out to Fran H...wonderful job as always. You really make any show more fun.

Cadets2 maintained the classic Cadets style during retreat, never relaxing other than knee bends and stretches organized by section leaders. They didn't even turn and watch the highlight video on the big screen with the rest of the corps.

Really cool to see Jimmy Russo be one of the first ones just below us standing and cheering for Empire's show. They got a great farewell response from the crowd, and some mass applause from all the Cabs at retreat. Bucs Honor Guard also broke ranks and went down to "present arms" to the Empire's Honor Guard after the ES score was announced.

Bucs certainly deserved the Championship. They are just so solid in every phase.

On a more personal note, as a Cabs honk, I was thrilled. I loved the book when I first saw it in April, but will admit I had concerns for the brass line being able to perform the entire show with energy considering the visual demands placed on them. They had an awesome performance, the best of the year! Shout out to Frank Ponzo, who did a great job all year. I also learned a little later that DM Glenn Stevens told the corps earlier that he was not going to return next year. A great performance for him to go out with! He will be missed!

My daughters facebook post last night was: "2nd place and the best performance of my life!" :thumbup:/>/>

24B26939-23C4-4AA6-9FE4-C39E259BE863-3134-0000027BE6B192D7_zps82e2fc1b.jpg

74125997-B089-4076-9990-D59AFC6B9BE3-3134-0000027C61FC1406_zps8b5b2ed2.jpg

e9533257-9901-486f-baaa-beff323e5e41.jpg

IMG_1852.jpg

b64d7ae2-279c-475c-8bd4-3dfbe0aa6022.jpg

IMG_1770.jpg

IMG_1863.jpg

IMG_1875.jpg

IMG_1894.jpg

Edited by truman

Really sorry to know that DCA would not return to Annapolis next year. I have been to Rochester Finals, and while I appreciate the traditions of that great city, Annapolis and it's surrounding areas of Baltimore and DC, and the DE shore, provide such an outstanding place to visit.

We stopped for the obligatory breakfast on our 4 hour ride home. The best thing about travelling at 3:00 am is the traffic. During the ride, I was able to reflect on how thankful I am for what has been a fantastic summer of drum corps and travel. It has been a once in a lifetime chance for me to see all the shows and visit all the places and friends that I have. Thanks for following along, hope that next year I can do a little more of the same!

Mr. Crawford....

First of all, let me thank you for your very kind words. I was humbled by your presence all year at our rehearsals, and now again with your words. You sir, are most kind, and I am honored to be in your presence...let alone get up the nerve to try to talk to you! Your private messages to me have guided me this year, and I cannot thank you enough for that!

Also...thank you for your picture commentary. For those of us who are performing, it's not that easy to get away from rehearsals and see the sights. These pictures are also very inspiring to me, and I do hope to get back to Annapolis some day to see these sights for myself.

Hope to see you again next year!!!

• Like 2

I want to say I think this is the best ever review thread on DCp. Thank you for the time and thought that went into the presentation. :thumbup:

The fact that there is no track around the field really made things tight and prevented trooping the stands.

I can tell you, getting the podium and pit on and off while another corps was doing the same was tricky with the close quarters of the front line. The center recording Mic stand kept us from moving the podium away from the pit like we prefer, but I'm sure every corps just dealt with it.

I did miss being able to roll on the track until the last second before diving on to the turf that tends to impede rolling wheels, lol.

Then there's that ungodly ramp...

Edited by BushDad1213