I realized as I ate dinner how long this was gonna take. 23 corps, all the fistbumps, the All Big W corps for 2013, and other stuff.

To start with, there was a thread and a linked blog about the "State of Drum Corps". In terms of DCA, I'd say it's pretty good and the writer of that editorial really hadn't seen anyone in DCA this season. There were other comments needing some rebuttal, but really- DCA Corps for the vast part provided a great variety of exciting and thoughtful programs performed with quality that took into consideration the audience.

The facilities were good as usual, and early on, the stadium was pretty hot, which made the early Class A corps performances a tough and grueling test of their stamina and resolve. Let's roll!

I had great seats on the 50, right beneath the wheelchair accessible top row. I sat with some old schoolers from Sky, Generations, and the Matadors, a pretty engaging and thoughtful blend of great individuals.

Again, a reminder for those first reading my stuff from this season, if I've seen the corps earlier in the season, you'll need to refer to earlier contests for more program details of those corps. Otherwise, this gets long, and people think I'm suffering from dementia from repeating myself. :satisfied:

The Centurions (17 Brass/5 Battery/8 Front Ensemble/5 Color Guard/3DM) kicked off the show.

The show was a blend of pieces from the Romantic, impressionist, and early 20th century orchestral genre, with portions of the "Firebird", "Claire de Lune", and the "Bachannale" from "Samson and Deliah" making up the program. The arrangements were thoughtful and well written. The feel of the horn line was that of one where everyone was still trying to find their place and get the feel of what type of ensemble sound they wanted to and should have. That's to be expected with a new corps and many new personnel to the activity. There was more than a bit of feeling that a couple of the leads were trying to do all of the work on their own, and some nerves from others. Again, totally understandable.

I think the pieces are in place with this corps- they'll develop a better feel for musical nuance, ensemble, and musicality as they grow together, and I look forward to seeing future efforts.

Next up, Shenandoah Sound.

It was obvious to me that a lot of hard work and effort was put in by the corps between Reading and prelims, and it was noticed and appreciated.

The corps was enjoying themselves, they were relaxed, relating to the crowd, and there were some very solid and readable moments that came off well from the horn book I hadn't heard before.

Their feature work, the Bari/Tuba Duet sounded fine, and Dick Pomerleau (one M!!, my apologies again, Dick!) was saucy as ever, playin' for the ladies in this run.

The Front Ensemble was into the program- no duds this week, and made solid contributions to the effort.

I also liked the show tag at the end of the program- a nice change up.

I just can't help but think to myself- man! I wish they would have been this ready at Downingtown, and also, what if they would have had an early opportunity to do the complete show at their own contest. They finished very, very well after a really rough season where things just didn't go their way at times. Hopefully, they'll have a solid off season, get a solid corps of people ready to perform and really start off great next year with more in place at the start.

Excelsior (6CG/7FE/7 Battery/1DM/13 Horns/1 DM-Feature trumpet) appeared next, and I have to say the corps' improvement from last season's presentation was very impressive.

The show comprised a few old school, hits like "Birdland" and Hank Levy's "Pegasus", and the feature work was impressive. The feature dance was fun and was done very well.

Sometimes the rest of the ensemble needs to chip in to fill out the sound, and the last chord of the show after the reprise was a bit odd, but overall, the show was truly an respectable effort and a big move for the corps from last season. I hope they can use this season as something to continue to build from for their future.

Next up from Ludwigshafen, Germany, Heartliner (17 Horns/6 Battery/4+2FE/5CG/2DM). I had the opportunity to help out a bit with the corps over the last two Fridays before Prelims, and it was a great experience for myself, and I hoped I helped them at least a bit. You can consider this some kind of disclaimer, I guess. :satisfied:

The show, entitled "Up and Away", was built around their journey to the US, combining a mix of original music and the familiar, like "Leaving on a Jet Plane" and "America".

I can definitely say the corps earned the movement in score from the previous weekend. A lot of work was put in to gain confidence, clean the show, and to also reach out to the crowd to a higher level. The corps has a cadre of experienced individuals from DCA and DCI, the real trick was to get their new personnel up to speed and confident with presenting with inner confidence. I don't think some people realize the kind of advantage many corps have with new talent, especially ones that draw from hotbeds of competitive High School Band circuits. new people come in with the basic skills of musicianship and an idea of competition at hand in those cases, where Corps from outside the US have to train up their personnel from the ground up.

Also it took some work to encourage the DCA angle of communicating and reaching out to the crowd- something DCA vets are aware of and work hard at, but seemingly not as much with DCE.

The corps strengths lie in a solid Color Guard and a clean, tight visual package. The horns are capable of hitting hard for their size and respond well at the moments where the show's got a lot of energy. Sometimes when things get soft or slow down they have to worry about keeping up the mojo and intensity.

Great people, hard working, great staff and support crew who know the deal and how to teach the right way- I got a lot out of my experience with them. If they got just one percent out of what I got from being with them for the time I was with them, I'd be thrilled. :satisfied:

Heartliner moved up the level of excellence at the contest noticeably- would High Country Brass (7 Battery/7FE/19CG/16 Brass/1DM) respond to that challenge with their what I refer to in my notes as their "Bond, James Bond" show?

Almost. Their brass was well controlled and balanced, but at times, I felt they were staged far, far too back to be able to just relax and play. The 4 step interval they used also added to the challenge, but also makes it a tough go for the musician. Shades of Bush the previous 3 seasons, and the same problems were there as a result.

I did like the show programming- it felt comfortable and was really designed to relate well with the audience and felt good in that aspect. I think Carolina Gold could have taken a page from their selections with their spy show package, to be honest.

The large Guard did a fine job, and the "007" finish, though the horns sounded a bit gassed, was a nice ending to the program. It was fun to see them here in the East, and I hope they'll return to DCA Championship weekend.

Next up, in what could be their last DCA performance since they're headed to Open Class DCI competition next season, Tampa Bay Thunder (27 Horns/6FE/2DM/11 Battery/11CG) with their show that took the audience musically through the course of a year. Check my Nokesville review for more details on the music.

Their initial statement off the line really sent a strong message that they were a cut above the previous corps, and I felt at Nokesville they had the potential to make the final four. Would it be enough?

The horns had a fine sonority and balance, the arrangements were thoughtful and fresh, the percussion groovy when necessary, and the shout choruses in "My Funny Valentine" and "Summertime" were great moments for the corps. Some drill clarity was a bit fuzzy here and there, and the heat took its toll on at least one corps member during the performance.

They fell .15 short of nipping Windsor for the 4th spot. Mixed Effect numbers proved their undoing- they made up for the gap they created in performance captions against Windsor, who really came out hard and hot the last 2 weeks of the season. A very fine effort, and I wish TBT the best in their future.

Next up, Cincinnati tradition and their "Breakdown" show about a descent into madness or Manic Depression, take your pick, :satisfied: but that will have to wait until later. 6 corps down, 17 to go. Man... oh man.... :satisfied:

• Like 5

Great reviews so far could not agree more with you on Heartliner ,watch there video on u-tube to what they did at DCA there night & day .Not even the same corps ,Hope they enjoyed thier performace here ,to bad people that did not attend preliums never got to see them .Would have been a good spot to sweeze them in between Class A and Open Class for exbition between classes .

Great reviews so far could not agree more with you on Heartliner ,watch there video on u-tube to what they did at DCA there night & day .Not even the same corps

I agree.

During their U.S. trip, they improved quite a bit from when I saw first saw them in Pennsauken, to my next look at them at Prelims.

• Like 2

I agree.

During their U.S. trip, they improved quite a bit from when I saw first saw them in Pennsauken, to my next look at them at Prelims.

They know how to rehearse and get things done. No freaking out, well timed breaks/snacks, good attitudes and work ethic, etc. Between Friday at Malvern and the next Friday at BWI, BIG improvment. Some of that was later additions to the corps really getting their teeth into the program, more confidence from the less experienced personnel.

Work's been tough, overtime, and exhausting. I'll try and get a couple more up before work, and if I get an early Twi shift, I'll do more.

Next up, Cincinnati Tradition (7FE/1DM/6CG/13Battery/16 Horns), who had clearly started making serious moves based on their scores at the southern and midwest shows they attended.They were quietly going about their business with their "Breakdown" program and gave themselves a chance, which is what you want- the opportunity to go for it and take a crack at Finals.

The opener, "Joy", was upbeat, energetic and well-nuanced, and was a good start to their run. There were some performance issues that detracted, but the corps is a much improved organization from 2012.

The Bari section's really started to come to life in the corps, and that's an important element to give more body to the ensemble. The Bari-Mello duet was well-done.

The percussion/horn features were well constructed, the upper brass had to worry a bit about overplaying, but made for solid moments and excitement. The visual package had a lot of new ideas and was well thought out, but there was still some form and performance issues, much to develop and grow into in the future.

The corps descends into madness with "Creep", the Rorschach flags a nice touch, and then ends the program with a crazy-go-nuts section and a Girl that's obviously seen too much boring Drum Corps or something of the sort!

The ending is what bugs me. I think it was the big issue that may have held the numbers down for this corps.

I don't need a Disney ending, but, ending the show on the low emotional note- and that's putting it mildly, just leaves people upset and down. Yes, that could be the intent, but somehow, yah gotta bring some kind of closure that's more satisfying.

How? I have an idea, and I think it would have had a better message that people in the stands and the judges would have tapped into. It would have had to be done in the planning stages and the time usage would have had to have been thought out.

After the mental collapse, the corps figuratively circles the wagons and helps their corps-mate. We've all had moments where someone in the corps has helped us in a bad day. We can all relate, and if that would have been included with some kind of hopeful musical ending that she was eventually gonna be okay and her friends were there, I think it would have been a much more satisfying end to the program.

I'll get back to the top 4 ASAP. I'll get my nose to the grindstone as best I can, there was a lot to think about this year, and everyone put forth an honest best effort, and I'm worried I'll short someone. :satisfied:

• Like 2

Keep it rollin'! One more before dinner!

I was really looking forward to the Sun Devils at prelims, where I could finally see the whole show, not just the music. They met and exceeded all my expectations, and they were high ones based on what I heard at Nokesville.

These cats sizzle, and are incredibly dynamic and exciting.

Whomever arranges their book and covers the music instruction for the corps really understands Clifton Williams- the signature of his works in terms of the tonalities was clear as a bell, and the corps understands how to perform the work.

The 27 horns read like 40. Why? Easy. 6 guys who play like madmen on Bari and Euphonium and spot on Mello work, right down the alley, never out of tune, locked in and strong, even on exposed high end pitches. You have that low end torque and good intonation to tow the ship, you're set. All the chords are clear and readable, which also adds a lot of inner strength to the ensemble. The corps can present a fairly wide and honest frontage and depth and still project impressively.

I was totally rocked out with the corps, period. Oblivion's a Musical high, there's no better way to describe it.

As for the percussion feature, the battery stepped up the ante in Class A percussion immediately. The music and drill out of their feature, the Mello Duet, great moments. the re-entry into Symphonic Dance 3 was absolutely hard core and had me fist-pumping hard for the corps to keep it smokin'.

Sun Devils sizzled and threw down hard. Their corps is a really exciting team that I hope to see more of in the future. Their recipe is spicy, dynamic, and hella exciting.

They've made a serious fan of me if you couldn't tell already. A well done performance that I felt kept the Govies and White Sabres honest had they had any gaffes or slips.

Be back. Weekend chores need to be started. We'll get more done ASAP!

• Like 1

Work's been tough, overtime, and exhausting. I'll try and get a couple more up before work, and if I get an early Twi shift, I'll do more.

Next up, Cincinnati Tradition (7FE/1DM/6CG/13Battery/16 Horns), who had clearly started making serious moves based on their scores at the southern and midwest shows they attended.They were quietly going about their business with their "Breakdown" program and gave themselves a chance, which is what you want- the opportunity to go for it and take a crack at Finals.

The opener, "Joy", was upbeat, energetic and well-nuanced, and was a good start to their run. There were some performance issues that detracted, but the corps is a much improved organization from 2012.

The Bari section's really started to come to life in the corps, and that's an important element to give more body to the ensemble. The Bari-Mello duet was well-done.

The percussion/horn features were well constructed, the upper brass had to worry a bit about overplaying, but made for solid moments and excitement. The visual package had a lot of new ideas and was well thought out, but there was still some form and performance issues, much to develop and grow into in the future.

The corps descends into madness with "Creep", the Rorschach flags a nice touch, and then ends the program with a crazy-go-nuts section and a Girl that's obviously seen too much boring Drum Corps or something of the sort!

The ending is what bugs me. I think it was the big issue that may have held the numbers down for this corps.

I don't need a Disney ending, but, ending the show on the low emotional note- and that's putting it mildly, just leaves people upset and down. Yes, that could be the intent, but somehow, yah gotta bring some kind of closure that's more satisfying.

How? I have an idea, and I think it would have had a better message that people in the stands and the judges would have tapped into. It would have had to be done in the planning stages and the time usage would have had to have been thought out.

After the mental collapse, the corps figuratively circles the wagons and helps their corps-mate. We've all had moments where someone in the corps has helped us in a bad day. We can all relate, and if that would have been included with some kind of hopeful musical ending that she was eventually gonna be okay and her friends were there, I think it would have been a much more satisfying end to the program.

I'll get back to the top 4 ASAP. I'll get my nose to the grindstone as best I can, there was a lot to think about this year, and everyone put forth an honest best effort, and I'm worried I'll short someone. :satisfied:/>

But thats what made this show unique and different than every other typical show ending. While I may not have ended the show exactly the way they did...there is nothing wrong with ending things "down." The show was called "Breakdown" not "Breakdown and then everything is ok." The girl lost her mind. End of story LOL At least thats how I saw it. Did the end of the show make you feel unsettled....uneasy...? Well, that technically IS an effect too. Just most people (and judges) dont give those emotions the due credit as being an "effect" when scoring. Unless, those emotions come from poor execution. Could the design have been better at the end. Maybe, but they did tell the story they intended for the most part.

This corps has made huge strides and I can only assume that will continue.

P.S. Great review of prelims overall!!

• Like 1

But thats what made this show unique and different than every other typical show ending. While I may not have ended the show exactly the way they did...there is nothing wrong with ending things "down." The show was called "Breakdown" not "Breakdown and then everything is ok." The girl lost her mind. End of story LOL At least thats how I saw it. Did the end of the show make you feel unsettled....uneasy...? Well, that technically IS an effect too. Just most people (and judges) dont give those emotions the due credit as being an "effect" when scoring. Unless, those emotions come from poor execution. Could the design have been better at the end. Maybe, but they did tell the story they intended for the most part.

It made me wonder why the story/theme wasn't truly developed over the course of the show beyond musical selections honestly.

• Like 1

It made me wonder why the story/theme wasn't truly developed over the course of the show beyond musical selections, honestly.

I only saw this show on video, but that was my feeling also.

Yes! Effects can range over a variety of emotions! They should! Bush taught everyone that was willing to understand it 25 years ago.

See if I can explain better, maybe a teachable moment. :satisfied:

Look at Phantom, 2008. How would people feel if they finished their program with the battle and the field littered with dead, the Romans win, finish on a down note. No apotheosis, no "I- AM- SPARTACUS!" with the Drum Major assassination etc. No way they win finals, BD's percussion meltdown or not.

Take PR and Turandot. We start with a psychopathic Princess pretty much lopping off guys in the hornline's heads. :satisfied: You end the show on that note, well, it goes nowhere.

Eventually I think some handsome and dashing Bari guy, of course it has to be a Bari player, wins her over and they dance around happily in love ever after. Now, Opera Critics/Historians do heavily criticize the plot of Turandot for good reasons, granted. It IS kinda goofy! :satisfied:

Little touches can make a difference to this. A HS group's Indoor Guard I worked with did a Jekyll and Hyde program years ago. Two guys acted out the parts and were pretty good at it. At the end, Hyde takes over, body slams Jekyll to the floor, people in the audience freak out. A pretty good WWF move, and the kid sold it well. :satisfied: If they'd have left it at that, the shock was pretty powerful and effective, the crowd usually gasped at that point, it would have worked but not as well as it did when Hyde realized what he did and broke down over Jekyll lying in front of him. That added touch capped things off and got the crowd even more into it. I just think CT needed an added something, the brakes slammed on really hard and left things perhaps too jarring.

The corps was a metric ton better this year- It's a sign the corps is a LOT better when I as a reviewer is talking more about deeper and more serious programmatic issues like that than worrying about mistakes, blend, balance, or quality. Telling a good story in a show and making it a tight package is really difficult to do, period! :satisfied:

• Like 2