Okay, finally a break where I can start the top 8.

Bush came out hitting very hard for their size, and their performance was really well-polished, and it felt good to have them back. The horns found some added oomph, the chords vibrant and the ensemble played their cojones off, period.

I really want to talk about some aspects of this show that I really liked.

First, Bush made me smile several times during their last couple of performances that I attended. That may not seem like a lot to say, but to us old schoolers, that's serious. We usually don't crack a smile at very much. They have to be earned. The program had some really uplifting moments within and it just reached inside and touched me in a very positive way.

Also, Bush used some recent music from Smashing Pumpkins and from the Modern Doctor Who series (I prefer the Third and Fourth Doctors myself, that dates me) that was still delightful and very accessible. A corps doesn't have to do things everyone in the community is familiar with to reach and affect them. The right music, the right arranging, and quality performances can make the unfamiliar exciting and accessible. Bush definitely made that statement this year.

Can they build on this season for their future? I certainly think and hope they can do so.

Empire came on in 7th. They hadn't really been seen since Scranton, and the word was that their exhibitions in Rochester were tight and the corps was ready. That remained to be seen.

They were exceptionally ready, and their energy was just rolling off of the corps as they fired away with a fine, fine brass performance. Joey Pero was obviously stoked, and I have to call out the percussion and Mello sections as creating some great moments. The magic was really felt by me at the end of the performance. It was clear there was a serious score seperation from Bush, but not quite clear at that time how much of one until the scores were announced.

I was part of two performances that the Westshoremen thought were our last ones for the corps, and it's a pretty powerful but liberating feeling that you have in your heart as a performer. You can play and perform like there's no tomorrow and really relax and set any negatives aside. I felt that from Empire as a whole, and it bouyed them up and above the norm.

Since everyone seems to be remaniscing about Empire, my personal fave moment dates to 1992, "Begin the Beguine", the corps swinging hard, Donny Allen playing on fire. To me, unforgettable and exciting.

Empire taught everyone in DCA many things- that it's okay to smile, to really make contact with the crowd and relate to them. That people need something familiar to relate to, then you can take them where you want to go. That if you tell a story, make it one worth telling and do it with quality. That a high performance standard matters, no matter what path you choose to take with your corps. The corps itself may be gone, but the concepts and lessons they taught are deeply imbedded into the fabric of DCA. Much of what Jeff said in his review resonated with me as well, but I also felt this needed said as an addition.

Finally, I do want to mention the Empire Percussion. From talking to those who know percussion- they've always been a real unsung hero and important part of their corps success. The brass and the soloists got most of the attention of the fans for decades, and I think they also deserve a tip of everyone's hat and a very respectful nod for their excellence and contribution to their corps' successes.

The top seven came in at 90+, and I know there were some incredulous DCP readers concerning that fact. Everyone was really that good. Top 6 later today. Trip this morning with my Dad. Something I do not get to do enough anymore.

• Like 3

After Empire's performance, one could think the next competitor could have been intimidated or was a let-down. This was not the case. Fusion refused to be intimidated or fazed and pushed hard and clean. It was obvious they were ready to compete and compete hard. They compared very well to Empire with a lot of hustle and great drill. From where I was their visual package read well and looked great. The Fusion Mellos never cease to amaze and impress me. It was a real pour on the coal effort and a fine performance regardless of final placement.

I'm not the only old timer who feels Fusion has a real upside for their future. They're on the way up, and the corps has a great vibe and feel when they perform. If they can continue their stready and forward momentum, continue to build numbers and keep their veteran core, anything can happen. Nothing should surprise anyone anymore about this corps, their talent, ability, and verve.

One of the main areas of interest for me was the Fusion/CV matchup at prelims. I thought this would be a good match and a real test for both corps.

CV (48H/11FE/20 Battery/13 Guard/1DM) presented their "Carpe Caelum" program. There's a lot to talk about here for several reasons, bear with me, please.

To start with, watching the DCI Network Regional performance on a friend's crappy laptop with weak speakers as I did earlier this season didn't do this corps any real justice to theoir actual live presentation at prelims. Things like this are why I'm distrustful of reports, evaluations or comments based on videos and why I limited my thoughts on the corps earlier this season.

The corps started with a wonderful opening solo, initial impact, and run through the ensemble, which has a deep orchestral sound when they're locked in and pushing.

The sound was so bad on the stream that I didn't recognize the fact their program was mainly based on the cult classic Interstellar Suite, and my eyes got big when It hit me as I listened- "Cool! It's Interstellar Suite! Yeah!" The ensemble flowed like paint of the brush, and their swells were really strong and impressive.

DCA geeks will fondly remember the 1994 Les Metro program using much of the same material, and it invites comparison. Both were very exciting and dynamic. Les Metro was more like Classic Trek, with Scotty screaming the shields couldn't take it and the Dilithium crystals were depleted, Kirk mainically overacting, and the crew falling out of their seats when the Enterprise got hit. CV is more like Captain Picard, more suave, calculating, and subtle, but capable of kicking your butt way harder than Kirk if and when he felt the need for it. Both are good fun, and different in good ways.

The corps really impressed at the end with great chordal writing and great playing that tackled those challenges.

The drill did have strong moments and some great drill cues, but almost had too much park and bark within the program. I think that's why the DCI stream bothered me with the holes that were present in that performance. I learned from this. C2 had more holes in the regular season, but when a corps moves more, holes aren't as obvious. Obviously, CV had everyone on board for Championships, and it did make a notable difference to the presentation.

Dan Detwiler mentioned earlier on DCP that he hoped people would hear CV knocking this season. I did at prelims. Everyone with any hearing left heard it. I heard the banging hard on the door. I thought about how proud Dan is of his corps afterwards (he should be!), and it brought me back to being a 16 year old kid standing with his corps that felt much the same way in front of Truman Crawford, who was kind enough to talk to us about our frustration about feeling stuck, even when we knew we were getting better, a lot better-- our future direction, and attitude. I believe CV has reached the point Truman told us we needed to reach, which was one of establishing consistent quality and excellence to be able to start fighting the giants on anything like equal terms. The obstacle is that DCA isn't as soft as it was even a few years ago. Corps have become a lot leaner, meaner, better, well taught, with better design, and the excellence runs deeper through the pack. Like Fusion, CV is at a point to start threatening the top 5 if they can continue their momentum.

Personally, I liked the more intellectual and geekier angle they took this year. It gave them a unique character and flavor that I really felt positive about. The scores were a bit lukewarm at prelims in effect, though. I think the CV design staff can take what worked and gave them a distinct character this season and improve the Effect numbers. I hope I'll be able to see them again in 2013 live, and if I can, I will greatly look forward to it.

Top 4, next.

• Like 1

After Empire's performance, one could think the next competitor could have been intimidated or was a let-down. This was not the case. Fusion refused to be intimidated or fazed and pushed hard and clean. It was obvious they were ready to compete and compete hard. They compared very well to Empire with a lot of hustle and great drill. From where I was their visual package read well and looked great. The Fusion Mellos never cease to amaze and impress me. It was a real pour on the coal effort and a fine performance regardless of final placement.

I'm not the only old timer who feels Fusion has a real upside for their future. They're on the way up, and the corps has a great vibe and feel when they perform. If they can continue their stready and forward momentum, continue to build numbers and keep their veteran core, anything can happen. Nothing should surprise anyone anymore about this corps, their talent, ability, and verve.

One of the main areas of interest for me was the Fusion/CV matchup at prelims. I thought this would be a good match and a real test for both corps.

CV (48H/11FE/20 Battery/13 Guard/1DM) presented their "Carpe Caelum" program. There's a lot to talk about here for several reasons, bear with me, please.

To start with, watching the DCI Network Regional performance on a friend's crappy laptop with weak speakers as I did earlier this season didn't do this corps any real justice to theoir actual live presentation at prelims. Things like this are why I'm distrustful of reports, evaluations or comments based on videos and why I limited my thoughts on the corps earlier this season.

The corps started with a wonderful opening solo, initial impact, and run through the ensemble, which has a deep orchestral sound when they're locked in and pushing.

The sound was so bad on the stream that I didn't recognize the fact their program was mainly based on the cult classic Interstellar Suite, and my eyes got big when It hit me as I listened- "Cool! It's Interstellar Suite! Yeah!" The ensemble flowed like paint of the brush, and their swells were really strong and impressive.

DCA geeks will fondly remember the 1994 Les Metro program using much of the same material, and it invites comparison. Both were very exciting and dynamic. Les Metro was more like Classic Trek, with Scotty screaming the shields couldn't take it and the Dilithium crystals were depleted, Kirk mainically overacting, and the crew falling out of their seats when the Enterprise got hit. CV is more like Captain Picard, more suave, calculating, and subtle, but capable of kicking your butt way harder than Kirk if and when he felt the need for it. Both are good fun, and different in good ways.

The corps really impressed at the end with great chordal writing and great playing that tackled those challenges.

The drill did have strong moments and some great drill cues, but almost had too much park and bark within the program. I think that's why the DCI stream bothered me with the holes that were present in that performance. I learned from this. C2 had more holes in the regular season, but when a corps moves more, holes aren't as obvious. Obviously, CV had everyone on board for Championships, and it did make a notable difference to the presentation.

Dan Detwiler mentioned earlier on DCP that he hoped people would hear CV knocking this season. I did at prelims. Everyone with any hearing left heard it. I heard the banging hard on the door. I thought about how proud Dan is of his corps afterwards (he should be!), and it brought me back to being a 16 year old kid standing with his corps that felt much the same way in front of Truman Crawford, who was kind enough to talk to us about our frustration about feeling stuck, even when we knew we were getting better, a lot better-- our future direction, and attitude. I believe CV has reached the point Truman told us we needed to reach, which was one of establishing consistent quality and excellence to be able to start fighting the giants on anything like equal terms. The obstacle is that DCA isn't as soft as it was even a few years ago. Corps have become a lot leaner, meaner, better, well taught, with better design, and the excellence runs deeper through the pack. Like Fusion, CV is at a point to start threatening the top 5 if they can continue their momentum.

Personally, I liked the more intellectual and geekier angle they took this year. It gave them a unique character and flavor that I really felt positive about. The scores were a bit lukewarm at prelims in effect, though. I think the CV design staff can take what worked and gave them a distinct character this season and improve the Effect numbers. I hope I'll be able to see them again in 2013 live, and if I can, I will greatly look forward to it.

Top 4, next.

Wow, thanks so much for all the kind words!

....and yes, I am VERY proud of my CV family! ;)

Dan

That's one area where a video can be helpful.

I too saw CV on the Atlanta broadcast, and really didn't think much of their show. Then I got to see them on the DCA Webcast, and...and...and....WOW!!!!! What a great show it was!!! :thumbup:

This is good stuff...keep it coming!!!

Edited by FPonzo
  • Like 1

I too saw CV on the Atlanta broadcast, and really didn't think much of their show. Then I got to see them on the DCA Webcast, and...and...and....WOW!!!!! What a great show it was!!! :thumbup:

This is good stuff...keep it coming!!!

Thanks Frank,

As we continue to grow and build we will be keeping those beautiful white satin shirts squarely in our sights! ;) We only strive to beat the best and after this summer, you guys are clearly one of the ones to beat. Nothing but respect and admiration for what you guys accomplished this summer. Keep it up!

Dan

• Like 1

Thanks Dan......the same respect for you guys as well!!!

• Like 1

I loved CV. I'm a sucker for Atlanta based corps playing Interstellar Suite!