Drumline Battle 2013

Sorry if this has already been discussed/talked about, but....

How many people got to see the E-Sarn drumline (eventual Drumline Battle winners)? They played some good stuff and were very entertaining. The guy that did a lot of the interacting with the crowd as well as playing the finger cymbals was awesome. This is what I think they were going for with the Drumline Battle concept. Some of the other lines involved at different points (Colts, Carolina Gold, Jersey Surf, etc.) did not get as into the Drumline Battle concept as much, as they had competitive shows to worry about. Is there a better way to do this idea, or should it just be scrapped all together?

Edited by ibexpercussion

I'm a bit mixed regarding Drum Line Battle and Sound Sport though I was initially enthused, but if I had to say keep it or scrap it, I'd say keep it. I guess I expected Drumline Battle to be more like WGI percussion events, though when I said this in another thread it was pointed it that this was never the intention and I attended enough shows this summer where the concept was demonstrated, so I should have known. That being said, one legitimate issue I had with Drum Line Battle was the inability to see what was happening, and since many people came and went throughout the show, I don't think I was the only person who had this issue. I think this issue could easily be solved by providing a venue other than where it was held this year. I do know this runs into cost, and DCI supposedly wants to keep costs as low as possible so a good number of units will participate, which is an excellent idea, but if it can't be seen and enjoyed, it may be counterproductive to hold the event Now judging from the enthusiasm of those who were able to see the event, and the age of those who were able to see and enjoy the event, it should be a keeper. It had a huge appeal to younger people, and while most were probably members of drum corps or people attending DCI, there were some groups not affiliated with DCI and I'm sure their fans attended. If these same people went to finals, then that's a positive thing.

Soundsport also needs a venue, perhaps more than Drumline Battle. Outside of Lucas Oil Stadium, with the not sun pounding down on concrete and asphalt with very few seats is not enjoyable to most people and that's where Soundsport was held and the numbers were very low

So with better venues that make it an enjoyable experience, both events could be successful and when I speak of venue I'm not talking Lucas Oil Stadium. A baseball field at could do the trick. It would be small enough for the intimacy needed for Soundsport and clos enough for the "in your face" of Drumline Battle. A high school or small college would more than have the space needed since souvenirs and refreshments could be sold, the event could still be free and DCI could recoup the cost from the profits.

• Like 1

I'm a bit mixed regarding Drum Line Battle and Sound Sport though I was initially enthused, but if I had to say keep it or scrap it, I'd say keep it. I guess I expected Drumline Battle to be more like WGI percussion events, though when I said this in another thread it was pointed it that this was never the intention and I attended enough shows this summer where the concept was demonstrated, so I should have known. That being said, one legitimate issue I had with Drum Line Battle was the inability to see what was happening, and since many people came and went throughout the show, I don't think I was the only person who had this issue. I think this issue could easily be solved by providing a venue other than where it was held this year. I do know this runs into cost, and DCI supposedly wants to keep costs as low as possible so a good number of units will participate, which is an excellent idea, but if it can't be seen and enjoyed, it may be counterproductive to hold the event Now judging from the enthusiasm of those who were able to see the event, and the age of those who were able to see and enjoy the event, it should be a keeper. It had a huge appeal to younger people, and while most were probably members of drum corps or people attending DCI, there were some groups not affiliated with DCI and I'm sure their fans attended. If these same people went to finals, then that's a positive thing.

Soundsport also needs a venue, perhaps more than Drumline Battle. Outside of Lucas Oil Stadium, with the not sun pounding down on concrete and asphalt with very few seats is not enjoyable to most people and that's where Soundsport was held and the numbers were very low

So with better venues that make it an enjoyable experience, both events could be successful and when I speak of venue I'm not talking Lucas Oil Stadium. A baseball field at could do the trick. It would be small enough for the intimacy needed for Soundsport and clos enough for the "in your face" of Drumline Battle. A high school or small college would more than have the space needed since souvenirs and refreshments could be sold, the event could still be free and DCI could recoup the cost from the profits.

As the only DC show in the country that had an (actual, as intended) drumline battle, and as the only show producer who was responsible for holding a DLB, and as the only show that had the "Godfather" of DLB at his show this year, and as the only show host who had the undivided attention of the Godfather of DLB at his show, I feel uniquely qualified to address this topic.

DLB is the brainchild of John DeNovi and Bob Jacobs. It was never intended to be, and will not continue to be, a product of drum corps drum lines. It was always envisioned as a way to get non-drum corps kids in front of fans, competing, with the added metric of the "battle" (angry faces and all) to get them interested in marching, performance, and drum corps. It is the organic way to get drummers interested in marching and organically growing the activity.

We had three local drum lines at our Dublin show, all non-drum corps kids, all mostly HS kids. They battled. The only non HS group in our line-up won, and they were ecstatic.

DrumLine Battle, Indy, was difficult but was a huge success because it proved the concept. We (the _kid and I) were front-line for the battle, but only because we were at the Friends breakfast early, and walked to the DLB performance area early enough to get a front-line viewing spot. Not knowing what acceptance DLB would have, DCI (DeNovi and crew) elected to have it in the best public space that made sense. The fact that it was PACKED with fans only proves the concept; it doesn't degrade the idea.

DLB is about NON-DRUM CORPS kids getting the chance to perform before a drum corps audience, in order to ignite the spark in them that might prompt them to try out for a corps. It was never intended to have corps-A drum line battle against corps-B drum line.

We had 3 drum lines compete at DLB during our show. About 60 kids, total. Next year we hope to have as many as eight drumlines compete (and preliminary indications are that we'll have as many as 12 local HS drumlines sign up). At about 20 kids per group, that's as many as 100 or more drummers who love to perform in front of fans. If we can get, say, 5 SoundSport teams to perform, at 25 each, that's 150 brass players. Add them to the drummers, and you have a DRUM CORPS. If we can gather all of them in one place we have the beginnings of a real drum corps. THAT'S what DLB is all about.

Could there be a better venue for DLB and SS? Yes, surely. But, again, what's the point? Is it to make viewing fans comfortable in their space during the "Battle"? No. Is it to get kids involved with performing in front of fans for glory? Yes. Is it about identifying those kids in an area who have the desire to march and perform in front of a crowd, like a drum corps does? Yes. Did DCI succeed in proving that concept this year? Yes. Definitively, yes. Fans packed the place. The only non-DCI drum line went on to win the whole she-bang. Was it a success in that regard? Yes, without question.

DLB and SS are, without a doubt, a success in proving the concept. Will it be successful into the future? Who knows? But it is ORGANIC growth of the activity if even one locale is able to convert a group of drummers and horn-players from HS wanna-be's into a real, legit drum corps.

We, our show (Dublin, OH) was the only non-drum corps DLB contest to happen this season. I'm happy about that because we are a group of over-acheivers who love to support and grow the activity. But our only success will be when we convert this group of HS kids to a legit drum corps. That's the dream of the guys who birthed the idea, and it's ours, too. Are there logistic hurdles? Yes, definitely. Will it be perfectly orchestrated in year one or two? I doubt it. But does that lack of excellence hide the ultimate goal?

Not to those who really understand what DLB and SS are meant to achieve.

• Like 1

Sorry if this has already been discussed/talked about, but....

How many people got to see the E-Sarn drumline (eventual Drumline Battle winners)? They played some good stuff and were very entertaining. The guy that did a lot of the interacting with the crowd as well as playing the finger cymbals was awesome. This is what I think they were going for with the Drumline Battle concept. Some of the other lines involved at different points (Colts, Carolina Gold, Jersey Surf, etc.) did not get as into the Drumline Battle concept as much, as they had competitive shows to worry about. Is there a better way to do this idea, or should it just be scrapped all together?

We saw Drumline Battle 2013, all the lines, beginning to end, from 11:00 am until about 2:50 pm (almost 4 hours) http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=4233beb5-c602-4d07-bebf-cf0236d7caec

It was hot on the street (figuratively and literally). E-Sarn performed in bare feet. We were a worried about feet on the concrete and about the drumlines in full uniform.

They made it through the hot afternoon and so did we. Kudos kids! We enjoyed watching each battle with some improvisation. You did great! Next time more improv! Go drumlines : )

I was at the DLB in Indy (right behind the DCI camerman, and probably right next to garfield without knowing it) and had a great time! My nephew and I got there early so we could get a good spot, and we were also lucky enough to be underneath the skywalk so that the sun wasn't much of a factor. Standing up for almost 5 hours got old, but the performances made up for that. I think going forward the performances will be even better as the concept will now be clearer to competing lines. The groups that progressed the furthest had more entertainment elements in their pieces (and obviously E-Sarn was the prime example of this) and did more than just play a piece standing perfectly still. I, for one, will be attending any future DLB events I can.

Could there be a better venue for DLB and SS? Yes, surely. But, again, what's the point? Is it to make viewing fans comfortable in their space during the "Battle"? No. Is it to get kids involved with performing in front of fans for glory?

From what I've read on DCP, DLB had a very good first year. Congrats to you G and to everyone involved. Somewhere in the future by having portable seats would draw more fans.

I cannot speak for other groups that participated but for Carolina Gold the big thing was that there was not enough time between being asked to do the battle in Atlanta and the actual show to be able to put together more of a production for it on a DCA rehearsal schedule. I will say however that the members LOVED participating in it and it was great for them to get that extra performance opportunity! I think in the future if groups who were going to do it could be determined by DCI further in advance you might see more out of the competing groups.

Edited by trwiggin