house of the rising sun

Thanks, that ear-worm has now successfully bored into my head and I can't get it out.

I don't even like House of the Rising Sun (the original), and now I can't stop hearing it.

Have to go listen to Crown again to kill the worm.

That's not the meaning of "wormhole."

Edited by Michael Boo
  • Like 1

Not only did Oregon play it this year but part of it was an outstanding trumpet solo. The 2nd iteration was a park and bark. I thought it worked for their show. Was one of the highlights for me.

There's a few decent marching band arragements of House of the Rising Sun, too. I could definitely see it done by a college or as a DCI encore piece.

Robert W. Smith's arrangement for '98 Magic was great and they played it hella good too!!! :thumbup:

• Like 1

I do not like the song at all to be honest. When I saw BD was going to be doing it in 2002, I was kind of disappointed. Then when I saw it midseason, it totally blew my mind. I absolutely loved their arrangement and performance of that song. You are right, it is a great fit for BD.

Thanks, that ear-worm has now successfully bored into my head and I can't get it out.

I don't even like House of the Rising Sun (the original), and now I can't stop hearing it.

Have to go listen to Crown again to kill the worm.

I take it by (the original), you are referring to the classic recording by The Animals from 1964. However, you may be interested to know (or maybe not) that their version is not an original at all. "The House of the Rising Sun" is a traditional folk ballad and its origins are unknown, though it is certainly from at least the early or mid 1800's. In fact, Bob Dylan recorded it in 1961! It has been arranged and performed certainly thousands of times by different people, most likely with drastically different harmonic, rhythmic and/or metric, and even melodic treatments.

At the end of the day, all that really means (aside from being of slight interest to you music historians out there) is that it's public domain. So when you do your arrangement of the song, you won't have to pay anybody! And I think that's awesome.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_House_of_the_Rising_Sun