Dark Side of the Moon

Oh, I've listened to the album several times with that exact thing in mind, and could never figure out to my satisfaction how any corps could pull off an entire show from the material. Devoid of the lyrics, the big hits just wouldn't transfer idioms, IMHO.

... Devoid of the lyrics, the big hits just wouldn't transfer idioms, IMHO.

I think that difficulty transmitting communication and context to an audience in a DCI show using rock music as source material, without the use of lyrics, would be an issue applicable to most all rock music.

I think that difficulty transmitting communication and context to an audience in a DCI show using rock music as source material, without the use of lyrics, would be an issue applicable to most all rock music.

More so with "concept" albums.

Oh, I've listened to the album several times with that exact thing in mind, and could never figure out to my satisfaction how any corps could pull off an entire show from the material. Devoid of the lyrics, the big hits just wouldn't transfer idioms, IMHO.

Doesn't have to be devoid of lyrics in this day and age. Narration and singing are both legal under current rules, as you know.

That being said, I agree that DSotM would not translate well to the field.

peace,

Fred O.

Outside of Money and possibly Breathe, I don't think it would translate well. As for the broader Pink Floyd catalogue, I've done Money, Have a Cigar, On the Turning Away and a brief portion of Eclipse in brass ensemble. There's field potential for the band, but it would just have to be a bit broader.

Probably not enough in Dark Side that would translate, but The Wall would work very well. Could construct an entire show on Pink's descent into madness, and incorporate some of the stuff from the movie.

From Dark Side though, Money, Breathe, or Time could probably work, maybe Eclipse with a good enough arranger?

One of the things that Pink Floyd does well is take their time in developing musical ideas. They take you on a journey and they don't rush to get you there. I don't think drum corps could do justice to PF material because of their 11 minute time restrictions.

But, I really like both PF and D&BC.

• Like 2