Madison Scouts 2014 -- Playing the Music of Stan Kenton and Don Ellis

Also, you guys must be high. I fully want/hope/expect this program to be (in performance order) Strawberry Soup, Malaga, Malaguena, Malaga, Malaga.

I agree - I'd be perfectly happy with rehashed Madison tunes.

I agree - I'd be perfectly happy with rehashed Madison tunes.

If I want to see a rehash of Madison tunes, I'd be more inclined to cue up Fan Network or fire up the DVD player rather than pay money to see it happen again in DCI. I know I might be in the minority and that's fine, but for the most I'm I am so over the idea of rehash shows: let those awesome legacy shows remain a legacy and not redone (often not-as-well) by future corps. History seems to show that dusting off older 'fan favorite' or competitively successful show ideas is not the way to achieve "Exceeds new standards" on the sheets.

If Madison did those charts in a concert-type setting? I'd be ALL for that (I loved hearing BD classics in their theater environment in 1999 when I saw 'em). But when I watch current DCI shows I want to see something new & fresh on the field, not a slightly different rehash of a 20 year old show.

• Like 1

If I want to see a rehash of Madison tunes, I'd be more inclined to cue up Fan Network or fire up the DVD player rather than pay money to see it happen again in DCI. I know I might be in the minority and that's fine, but for the most I'm I am so over the idea of rehash shows: let those awesome legacy shows remain a legacy and not redone (often not-as-well) by future corps. History seems to show that dusting off older 'fan favorite' or competitively successful show ideas is not the way to achieve "Exceeds new standards" on the sheets.

If Madison did those charts in a concert-type setting? I'd be ALL for that (I loved hearing BD classics in their theater environment in 1999 when I saw 'em). But when I watch current DCI shows I want to see something new & fresh on the field, not a slightly different rehash of a 20 year old show.

Luckily, Chris Komnick (I think it was him) said that the 2014 Scouts show will feature all new material (at least for them)! And I agree, re-hashed shows are stale for me and if Malaguena-ga or any variation is done again, I will lose my mind (in a bad way!). There is sooo much great music out there (especially from these two sources), why would they NOT explore some of it?

Edited by Nine White Russians
  • Like 3

Please play Loss...

• Like 1

What in the world did I just watch......

I have seen parts of Blast, but never a tambourine playing bird.

@84BDsop I did see that one a couple hundred times.