Madison Scouts 2014 -- Playing the Music of Stan Kenton and Don Ellis

Anyone else think the brass book is to easy for them? They are clean already. Maybe we didnt get the hard music in the videos. BEEF IT UP!

Don't base it on random clips from segments. It's a hell of a book.

• Like 1

jbieQgMvZMHZGP.png

Uh huh

Edited by tesmusic

Anyone else think the brass book is to easy for them? They are clean already. Maybe we didnt get the hard music in the videos. BEEF IT UP!

Since when is "Fanfare For The New" easy?

I cant wait to once again hear Jazz on the field. I'm hoping that more drum corps follow suit.

Edited by FlamMan

Posted last night...

I am just leaving East Troy momentarily but I thought I would share some general impressions about Madison's dress rehearsal tonight. First of all the field was a swamp so they were not able to perform the whole thing marching. What they did was perform two of the tunes and then arc up and play the whole show in standstill for the crowd.

This hornline has in a word, balls. You need them to play this book and to be honest they were still playing a little hesitant tonight probably due to the bad field conditions and the fact that the first time you put on your uniform everybody looks the same and you lose track of who you used to use as your guide points.

The coordination between percussion and brass was a little shaky in the first tune due to the natural difficulty of a tune like Fanfare for the New. But in all the hornline sounds very strong for so early in the season but I am also excited about how they will sound once they are confident in their own feet.

My complaint with Madison the last few years has been great beginning, great end, forgettable middle. That is not the case this year. There is something going on at every moment to hold your interest and when they get into some of the straight up Don Ellis like Niner Two they really start to cook.

Battery and front ensemble seem relatively solid but since they are not my areas I can't really get a proper read. From a visual standpoint the stadium only had 15 rows so there was no seeing pictures tonight. That will have to come from some reviewer watching them from a higher vantage point.

Videos are available on my Youtube channel DanS24106 (I dont remember if DCP allows direct posting of YT videos anymore)

Edited by Scerpella

There are people who will say the same things about Madison year in year out regardless of what the actual facts are. "Their book is easy" is one that I read a lot. its simply not true. This year with all the Don Ellis and Stand Kenton however, that cannot be said in any case. Fanfare for the New is a truncated version of the one us oldsters are used to, as played by Argonne and Guardsmen, but then they get into Bulgarian Bulge, Nine Two, Open Wide...this is NOT easy music.

I will add something about the concept of easy music. Much of the real hard stuff over the years in DCI has been played (purposely) when the horns are standing still. Its really as though we have gone back to the days of Stop time Concerts. This is not to say some difficult stuff hasnt been played on the move.

• Like 1

In my view, there is no " easy music to play", if the visual demands while playing the musical instrument is of a difficult and demanding nature.

Edited by BRASSO