Madison Scouts 2014 -- Playing the Music of Stan Kenton and Don Ellis

Scouts made an announcement of offering scholarships for lead trumpet with ability to play double g consistently. So either the brass book is above the ability of anyone currently on or these solo and ensembles that are written for a different era of drum corps when the screamers were more prevalent. Either way hope they find the talent and don't have to water down the book. Sounds like multiple spots are needed.

Don't make assumptions based on the announcement.

They're simply looking to make sure they have all they need.

Nothing wrong with a little insurance and an incentive. Drum corps isn't $500 for member dues like it was with the corps when I started in 1997.

• Like 1

Is it true that James Mason made the proposal for all brass instruments to be allowed?

Yes. There was a Field Pass episode about it

Well, I'm officially done with the Scouts organization and drum corps in general. I saw Mr. Mason as a purist. I no longer care if the Scouts survive or not.

You're going to let a french horn get between you and the beer tap truck in Madison every July? Dang, man, that's serious.

Yep. At least I stand on principle.

I no longer care if the Scouts survive or not.

Then clearly you don't care about drum corps. Just your version of drum corps and what you think it should be. That mindset is prevalent on these forums and quite selfish if you ask me. As someone who saw both of the drum corps I marched with fold over the past two years, I am appalled that an alum could even think this about their corps. So take your ball and go home. The Scouts will be just fine.

• Like 1

Then clearly you don't care about drum corps. Just your version of drum corps and what you think it should be. That mindset is prevalent on these forums and quite selfish if you ask me. As someone who saw both of the drum corps I marched with fold over the past two years, I am appalled that an alum could even think this about their corps. So take your ball and go home. The Scouts will be just fine.

Except they won't be just fine. By losing its identity, drum corps is on the fast track to becoming one with the band community...but thank you for the lecture. It's not selfish to see something you love lose itself, and it's not selfish to refuse to help aid in its destruction. These changes aren't needed. They are changes for the sake of change. That's never a legitimate reason for change.

• Like 1

Except they won't be just fine. By losing its identity, drum corps is on the fast track to becoming one with the band community...but thank you for the lecture. It's not selfish to see something you love lose itself, and it's not selfish to refuse to help aid in its destruction. These changes aren't needed. They are changes for the sake of change. That's never a legitimate reason for change.

There's NEVER a legitimate reason for change? How did you ever sign up to participate in the valved, asymmetrical drum corps of the 90s with that attitude?

Yep. At least I stand on principle.

I don't think I could ever let my preference for one set of brass instruments over another get between me, a good beer (the New Glarus they usually have is grade A stuff), my friends that I marched, taught and worked with and the stories we invariably like to sit for hours and tell. Life's too short and it's just marching band, etc.

• Like 1