Phantom Regiment 2014

After nearly 30 years of following Regiment, it is. They're boring, predictable and stale. Create a more modern version of the corps. Stop doing constant throwbacks. They make it look like the corps is out of ideas. Even the kids who have/are marching the corps are tired of the same old storyline.

What happened to doing things like the non-story years of the 90's?

Oh yeah, Cesario (a true creative genius) was program coordinator.[/quote

I've been part of the organization 40+ years and I can say some years have been more successful than others but bottom line they will stay true to their identity. If you have a problem with that then move on. Quit the bashi..er..gnashing of teeth and find something else. It's okay. Really. You've stated your case ad nauseum.......rather than being negative go be positive about some other concept.

• Like 3

Last time they played Swan Lake was 1987. None of the current members were even alive. ...and I think that Cesario said that show theme was "Songs for the Winter Palace"...

Frankly, I think they could take that classic music and make it fresh and new for the current generation...

Also, we have no idea what a post that says "Swan Lake" really means... It's just a teaser. I'm not ready to write them off just yet, and they're not even my corps.

I suspect Chaos's point is not that PR has played Swan Lake before but that it would seem (nobody knows yet, but it would seem) that 2014 is much in the heavily thematic style of the last several programs. PR could still be innovators in classical music while not telling a story and not playing a typical composer (for what it's worth, I like Tchaikovsky tremendously). Play Bruckner. Play Sibelius. Play something "new" (not necessarily "never played," but "fresh") and don't be concerned with beating us over the head with a story.

Then again, it may not be thematic at all. And maybe no swans have to die. And maybe there's a fresh take on Tchaikovsky with a battle rap in the percussion feature.

• Like 1

I suspect Chaos's point is not that PR has played Swan Lake before but that it would seem (nobody knows yet, but it would seem) that 2014 is much in the heavily thematic style of the last several programs. PR could still be innovators in classical music while not telling a story and not playing a typical composer (for what it's worth, I like Tchaikovsky tremendously). Play Bruckner. Play Sibelius. Play something "new" (not necessarily "never played," but "fresh") and don't be concerned with beating us over the head with a story.

Then again, it may not be thematic at all. And maybe no swans have to die. And maybe there's a fresh take on Tchaikovsky with a battle rap in the percussion feature.

Thanks. This kinda sums up what I'm trying to say. Give the idea a chance to take shape before you write it off.

Haha! That would be terrifying!

BTW, I LOVED the 1987 show. Totally great color combinations to match the theme of the show.

The pageantry that year was just incredible from top to bottom.

I loved that show as well. Even the drill was beautiful. What an incredible year that was for Phantom - 10th in '86, third in prelims in '87 to settle at 5th in finals (their finals performance was a little off).

Then there's the brave guard member at finals who lost her skirt in the opener and had to do the rest of the show without it. What an embarrassing thing to happen.

After nearly 30 years of following Regiment, it is. They're boring, predictable and stale. Create a more modern version of the corps. Stop doing constant throwbacks. They make it look like the corps is out of ideas. Even the kids who have/are marching the corps are tired of the same old storyline.

What happened to doing things like the non-story years of the 90's?

Oh yeah, Cesario (a true creative genius) was program coordinator.[/quote

I've been part of the organization 40+ years and I can say some years have been more successful than others but bottom line they will stay true to their identity. If you have a problem with that then move on. Quit the bashi..er..gnashing of teeth and find something else. It's okay. Really. You've stated your case ad nauseum.......rather than being negative go be positive about some other concept.

How about you let this old man have his opinion and ignore me? That function does exist on DCP.

True to their identity…where were all the story lines in the 90's? Were they suddenly not Regiment then? Their identity used to be putting ferocious classical music on the field without any nonsense of following a character(s) year in and year out. There's more than one way to tell a story.

I will move on…taking my support and money elsewhere.

You are correct. From what I've been told, it'll be in the same vein as the last several years…a storyline.

• Like 1

. I'm not ready to write them off just yet,

' sounds reasonable to me.. especialy since its December 1, 2013, and nobody knows anything other than the Theme for the 2014 summer production... and nothing else. That said, if people want to form final opinions on a Corps musical and visual show for nexr summer that probably hasn't even been written yet, then thats their choice, and thats that.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

when i first saw this, i thought they were talking about the ballet being on tv. But who knows what they will do for the show?

87 was one of my favorite PR shows. I was Bham for DCI South that year, and when they came out in the solid white unis the entire crown just went, "whooooaaaaaa". Great show from beginning to end.

And who cares of they tell a story, so long as they tell it well? Think of the crowd response if at the end of the show, Spartacus runs across the field and kills the Mouse King. ;)

• Like 1

How about you let this old man have his opinion and ignore me? That function does exist on DCP.

True to their identity…where were all the story lines in the 90's? Were they suddenly not Regiment then? Their identity used to be putting ferocious classical music on the field without any nonsense of following a character(s) year in and year out. There's more than one way to tell a story.

I will move on…taking my support and money elsewhere.

You are correct. From what I've been told, it'll be in the same vein as the last several years…a storyline.

Bubye! I'm sure that lack of a tshirt sale will be the end of Phantom. :w00t: Personally I can't wait to see what they do.

Edited by Mello Dude
  • Like 2