The Cadets - 2014

Especially since this year he just got voted into the New Jersey Hall of Fame....FINALLY!!!! :tounge2:

I'd say omitting William Howard Taft was an even...er...BIGGER mistake!

william-howard-taft-pres-u-s-1857-1930.j

Only US President with a nickname of "Big Tub"... but forget the details....

How about Fremont, OHs own Rutherford (aka Rutherfraud - google 1876 election) B Hayes? Visited relatives in Fremont and toured Hayes house.

two hours of my life I'll never get back..... :huh2:

Only US President with a nickname of "Big Tub"... but forget the details....

How about Fremont, OHs own Rutherford (aka Rutherfraud - google 1876 election) B Hayes? Visited relatives in Fremont and toured Hayes house.

two hours of my life I'll never get back..... :huh2:

I'm sure any fan of President Taft has seen the picture of his bath tub -- holding 4 grown men.

taft_bathtub.jpg

Patience is a virtue.

These types of shows ( with narration) really do nothing for me. The message doesn't matter. I do not feel that competitive marching band or drum corps are places for "verbal messages" and personal opinions. I'm even leery about using our idiom with narration to even describe events. I mean aren't there other venues for that? Why not just stick to music and motion to express ourselves within the confides of THIS idiom?

Now, I've heard music with narration at various museums, and that seems appropriate in those settings, where the music is not the focus. In those venues, the message is what is most important So I don't hate the idea of music with voice-over, it's just that these types of shows come across as pretentious. The message should not be the focus of these shows, and these marching units should not be the mouth piece for a political or social message from the designers.

So I'll probably not be too into this show, yet again.

The music sounds pretty cool. It probably could stand on it's own.

I know many will disagree with me, but this show sounds like it's going to be full on talking during most of it. Its makes the music and motion secondary to the narration and message that we will be directed to get.

The specific message may be a good one, but the whole idea of this show, the way it's being constructed ( narration > music & motion) is where I have the problem.

...and incidentally this may be the reason for the relative Cadets silence.

Edited by jjeffeory

Wow maybe someone from high command in Cadetland read this thread and released that small clip. I'm certainly not unhappy with that glimpse into what they might be doing. Wrap a beautiful Cadet drill around that music and we may get a classic in 2014. I'll trade narration for props. Hopefully that's an option.

You are coming out of left field with your conjectures I'm just letting you know, incase you don't you. Or maybe I should say right field........

if the show doesn't take a leftist political tilt then I'll heat my hat. Err shako

the music sounds great - supposedly the brass line is very strong (even compared to last year) and the battery is incredible again. Hopefully the program will be good enough to overcome the narration.

• Like 1