We Need To Talk About [CENSORED]...

Thanks, but it was awkward because the announcer's tone sounded more like Don Cherry at a hockey game than anything else.

IMO he's the announcer. He's not part of the corps' show.

But does he dress like "Grapes".... At least that's my favorite part of "Hockey Night In Canada"....

Course I'm biased since he did spend some time a few miles from me in Hershey, PA....

I agree with this. I know the Cavies used a pre-recorded Dan Potter a couple years ago. Any idea why it hasn't been more widely adopted? It seems like 99.3% of programs now require some elaborate timing to coordinate the announcer with the preshow.

No, that's wrong. It's 99.4%. Don't be so sloppy with numbers, OK?

:tounge2:

On Spirit of Atlanta's December Update (the first video on the fan network homepage) Patrick Stewart is clearly giving the voice "Ready when you are" and (sounds like) "To all the world be silent, and know that this is Spirit. You will believe." Which makes me think that if you were to use canned intros for each corps you might as well go with him or James Earl Jones or whoever. Problem is, A. It's super creepy, and B. A different voice has to announce the score, unless you want it sounding like a tech support call. "Nine ... Dee-Seven ... Point ... Two."

Anyway, I don't care who it is as long as they can yell "PHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM REJMA!"

• Like 2

On Spirit of Atlanta's December Update (the first video on the fan network homepage) Patrick Stewart is clearly giving the voice "Ready when you are" and (sounds like) "To all the world be silent, and know that this is Spirit. You will believe." Which makes me think that if you were to use canned intros for each corps you might as well go with him or James Earl Jones or whoever. Problem is, A. It's super creepy, and B. A different voice has to announce the score, unless you want it sounding like a tech support call. "Nine ... Dee-Seven ... Point ... Two."

Anyway, I don't care who it is as long as they can yell "PHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM REJMA!"

You just record variations of each (from 50-100... 50.0, five zero point zero, 50.1, five zero point one, etc), one time, done. This is not even close to difficult. A simple software app that one guy could build in a weekend could make this work perfectly.

The result would be much better, much more professional feeling and actually cheaper.

Ok, understanding that this may be drum corps' version of questioning the Voice of [ahem], could we maybe start talking about how DCI may want to think about replacing Brandt Crocker?

... if DCI were truly interested in expanding it's base, they might wanna take a page out of the Chicago Cubs' playbook and open up auditions online, or some such thing.

Just my worthless two cents.

Of all the things that DCI could do to expand its fan base, replacing Brandt Crocker would be at the bottom of the list..

HOWEVER, I think it is time to remove the standard introduction after pre-show. The announcer's voice should have absolutely nothing to do with the production - unless the corps itself chooses to incorporate announcing in their show themselves.

Edited by drumcorpsfever

Of all the things that DCI could do to expand its fan base, replacing Brandt Crocker would be at the bottom of the list..

HOWEVER, I think it is time to remove the standard introduction after pre-show. The announcer's voice should have absolutely nothing to do with the production - unless the corps itself chooses to incorporate announcing in their show themselves.

Everything I am going to say here is probably wrong, but it's useful to clarify this, so here goes:

There is (I always assumed) a competitive purpose for all this. The judges need to know when to start and when to stop. Once the drum major salutes, the first note marks the beginning of the show, but the judges need to know when all that is happening. So once the announcer knows that the judges are ready, he/she says "Is the corps ready?" Really that means Heads up judges, here we go. If the corps is already playing, then the salute is effectively the start of judging, since a note is played instantly after it. However, if there is a delay, then the judges have to listen for that note.

The weird thing is, the announcer says, "Ladies and gentlemen, Drum Corps International is proud to present, The Fibromylancers!" actually while the first note is being played, or before or after. All it indicates is that the DM has saluted, which the judges can see. It is technically unnecessary, but I suspect it sounds too strange to not say anything after "Is the corps ready?"

What if they replace "Is the corps ready?" with "Fibromylancers, you may take the field" (before the salute instead of after) Serves the same function as "Is the corps ready". And there's no need to follow it up with anything. DM salutes and off they go. I like it. Make it so.

Currently the judges wait for a signal from the T&P judge, not the announcer. He/she will hold his/her arm up with their hand parallel to the ground to show that the pre show has begun, as I believe GE judges are allowed to start judging then. Once the show official starts, the T&P person points to the sky, and spins their hand in a circle (same signal umpires use in baseball for a home run) to let all judges know that judging has started.