Cats of Fire ... or... The Loudest Cat on Earth

Pfft. "Cavalcade of Cats". Bwaahhaa. Funny, Dan.

Now, would you rename each of these shows under your premise while maintaining the local individuality?

If each of these has a sub-caption of "A stop on the DCI summer tour", I'm not sure of the problem.

It's like the corps themselves - some may not know who Academy is, but they surely know that they are a DCI drum corps.

Some may not know where Dublin, Ohio is, but they surely know what the DCI summer tour is.

Is this a problem, or an idea in search of a problem?

[sPONSORNAME] Hardcorps Tour 2014 - Dublin, Ohio

presented by Drum Corps International (<< fine print below)

The tour must be branded and consistent. This is pretty basic stuff.

In this modern age where everything is Googlable... there is a massive missed opportunity by not doing this.

1) All would be consistent terms with link backs to the main site, raising the ranking and relevance of anything related to DCI and terms associated with DCI to a single common source

2) Presents geo-relevant context to search terms. If I am in Columbus and search for DCI or drum corps, top result should be link to the show coming up in Dublin (now is not found because it is the LuckyCharms Emerald Pass Fourleaf Clover Tournament of Fire and Drums or something)

3) This makes it VERY easy for media... just copy/paste stories for local media, everywhere... further boosting numbers 1 and 2

In this modern age where everything is Googlable... there is a massive missed opportunity by not doing this.

1) All would be consistent terms with link backs to the main site, raising the ranking and relevance of anything related to DCI and terms associated with DCI to a single common source

2) Presents geo-relevant context to search terms. If I am in Columbus and search for DCI or drum corps, top result should be link to the show coming up in Dublin (now is not found because it is the LuckyCharms Emerald Pass Fourleaf Clover Tournament of Fire and Drums or something)

3) This makes it VERY easy for media... just copy/paste stories for local media, everywhere... further boosting numbers 1 and 2

Google "Drum Corps Columbus Ohio" and the show is number 10 on the results list. Google "Drum Corps Dublin Ohio" (or any combination of those words) and the show is first or second with DCI's website.

Still, not sure what's wrong with with "Emerald City Music Games" (subcaption) "A Stop on the DCI National Tour".

Advertising contracts in DCI are either national or regional in nature, with each advertiser committing to, and paying for, an ad campaign based on either the national tour or on the regional tour basis. I don't think national advertising is sold at the local show level (at least we've never been contacted or involved in such a campaign) but I'm sure DCI could tell you.

I agree that advertising on the local level (an advertiser promotion at all, many, or some of the local shows) could present ad value, and I don't know if DCI has attempted to sell advertising at that level. I'm pretty sure we'd welcome any advertising promotion they'd have to offer.

But I'm not convinced that all shows have to look or sound the same to sell to marketers.

Edited by garfield

All that needs to occur for search engine consistency is for the phrase following the show title name to contain the words "Drum Corps International". Apart from that, the actual title name of the show can be whatever the local sponsor desires.

Edited by Stu

All that needs to occur for search engine consistency is for the phrase following the show title name to contain the words "Drum Corps International". Apart from that, the actual title name of the show can be whatever the local sponsor desires.

I generally agree, although I would require that each show have a home page for the show, and must have a standard formatted box in the upper right corner saying something like "DCI Dublin - One of 83 Stops on The 2014 Drum Corps International Summer Tour" with the DCI logo. The wording is flexible of course. And it should be a link that goes back to DCI's own tour page.

This way everyone who visits can tell that it is one of a series, which is important.

Currently all I see on the Drums Along the Mohawk page is a DCI logo at the bottom (off screen). That doesn't really convey the show's place in the drum corps universe, so to speak.

However, I think the individuality of show names is a good thing because it appeals to the local population and makes it special for them. It's their show.