DCI membership votes overwhelmingly to allow ALL brass instruments in

Who says ? The Fife and Drum Corps has resisted any and all changes in the use of woodwinds in their Drum Corps for over 225 years. Not a thing was changed in instrumentation.. nor uniforms... nor show exhibitions. They rejected the utilization of any and all brass instrumentation . How has it worked out for them ? Well, its all relative to be sure, but there are more Fife and Drum Corps on the Eastern seaboard from Maine to Florida than the Drum and Whatevers in DCI, and as such more people in a given year ( from Jan-Dec ) will see and hear a Fife and Drum Corps perform ( as they do more parades, exhibitions, etc ) than a DCI Drum and Whatevers on the Atlantic seaboard, I prefer the Drum and Whatevers ( sans windwinds ) over that of the Fife and Drum Corps, but woodwinds are not "an extreme" at all to the more visible Drum Corps that most people see and hear on the east coast now these days ( especially now that the DCI Drum and Whatevers Championships are no longer on the TV anymore, and go into secrecy mode for approx. 42 out of 52 weeks of the year.

You misquoted me. There was more to that sentence...

I'm totally telling you that learning a sub-instrument that is very much related to your major instrument isn't as detrimental as you make it sound, and is something that many music majors must do.

It's something that many music professionals must do. Versatility and flexibility are important skills to have. Musically, playing a different instrument was one of the great lessons that corps provided in the summer. Playing the same 10 minutes of music over and over isn't really music education. That's probably what's going to tee off college professors...

You picked exactly the on instrument that I thought you would pick to respond with... French horn and mellophone ( and alto horns for that matter) require different embouchures that I'm sure Jeff Nelson wouldn't be too keen on. I believe that trumpet players would be more suited to play mellophone ( and flugel and alto horns) than french horn players playing mellophone, even if they use a french horn mouth piece. It's probably better if they would just play a marching french horn, like the did way back in the day, but Cadets, then Star made mellophones popular in DCI in the 80s.

Jeff Nelsen is probably not too keen on any french horn player playing mellophone. So, I'd imagine that he's not into marching band... So I'd kinda bet that he wouldn't care about versatility.

That's not the same scenario for the other instruments, I mentioned though.

Thanks to the great research of brass historian, Gregg Monks, I learned the mellophone was once used by jazz trumpet players bitd the way the flugel horn is used today.

Hello, it's me, oldschooldbc, officially the lowest rater poster in the history of DCP. Many of you probably thought I was gone for good after last season. But I am back, whether I am wanted or not (kinda like a bad case of VD.)

Yesterday's announcement was an abomination. Let's be completely honest now: DCI is no longer drum and bugle corps. If we allow wind instruments onto the field that are not bugles, then this is not drum and bugle corps anymore. It's really fundamentally that simple.

I don't know what the next phase in the marching arts will be called, but quite honestly, I do not care. The powers-that-be are taking this activity in a direction I no longer wish to support. They seem intent on remaking this activity in what they want - not what it truly is, or what the students, alumni, or public really want. And they seem to not know what will be the consequences of their actions - or perhaps they just do not care.

I honestly can foresee the death of this activity, as a result of this decision, and several others that the DCI leadership have rendered over the years. This is just the latest in a long line of bad, arrogant, short-sighted decisions that DCI has promulgated over the past twenty years. And at one level, that truly makes me sad. But to tell truth, I have simply grown numb to the situation. The activity is controlled by a small group of oligarchs who seem to be accountable to no one for nothing. There is really nothing that you, I, or anyone outside of the inner circle can do about the situation.

I have no more children of marching age, and I seriously doubt if I will live long enough, to see any grandchildren march. By that time, drum and bugle corps could simply be a faded memory. So I have nothing at stake, if this activity collapses. I can simply walk away, and have nothing left to lose. I will still have my memories - and no one can deprive me of those.

I'll still come back here every once and a while, to spew forth venom at the leadership of DCI, and what they have done to my beloved activity. But I have zero expectations that it will do any good - except it will function as a cathartic experience, for me at least.

Edited by oldschooldbc
  • Like 3

Look, for you, everyone on here crying doom and gloom, and those carrying on over on Facebook all weekend..

Start your petitions, etc. DCI will maybe let you say your peace, then move on as they planned. Thats the approach with amps, and with synths. The directors and staffs don't care...they want the tools they feel they need to make art. Crying on here, facebook etc won't work. Perconally, I'd love to see the marketing research done to show this was a needed change, as well as that it will drive business. My hunch is nothing was done because DCI's marketing is only what the directors allow to be done...and since that costs money and they're too busy fighting for control of the circuit and money, little's done.

Will it suck? Maybe. We kept hearing how synths were going to open the universe to all kinds of new musical ideas and idioms, and all we get is thunderous goo, some quotes for shows that are nothing but non intellectuals trying to be intellectual, and sound effects. Oh, and the same old music of dead wite guys being trotted out. So trust me when I tell you DCI will trot out any statement they can come up with to justify it, and that's that.

If you're really THAt ###### off at DCI for this, and you really want them to get the message, you really only have one option.

Stop going to shows. Don't buy tickets, cd's dvd's, downloads, fan network shows, tshirts etc.

Plain and simple all that will get through to them is lost money.

Some fans did walk after amps. i did for a while. I have come back to a degree, but what I spend on DCI and it's related products and services is at best 10% of what i did 12 years ago when the Friends of DCI group i was in ended the relationship. I get to at best 1 show, albeit a two night event any more, as the only other local option to me is almost always at the same time of my family vacation. This is the 2nd year I haven't purchased dvd's or cd's. it was noticed. i was called and asked about it and why my spending had dried up. i told them, politely, but bluntly why. i think they were stunned.

I would LOVE for DCI to actually reach out to fans whose info they have that no longer buy stuff to find out why. Problem is, I don't think many people in the board room want to know. So I'll keep my participation as it is, and maybe it will go up slightly if scheduling gods allow, maybe it will decrease. I do find it sad that I see so many people at Allentown every year that never once go in the stadium and watch. They tailgate or do the lot. Such a wasted opportunity.

So cry, gnash your teeth, etc etc....DCi isn't going to care or change their minds. They don't repeal rules, they just continue to change and tweak trying to find that magic button that will make it all well, and they continue to miss the boat.

I do expect woodwinds to be proposed again at the next rules congress in 2016. I do expect that movement to now gain traction. And if and when they are passed, I'm done. I'm sure DCI will be ok without me, as they still believe there is that magic pot of band moms at the end of the rainbow, and hey more power to them. They've wasted so many great opportunities to engage fans over the years, why start now?

and hey....don't put all of your eggs into the DCa basket. I expect synths there by 2019, 10 years after DCI added them, and this possibly even sooner.

amd I all doom and gloom? No. pessimistic? yes to some probably. Very realistic? Hands down yes. Why? because experience has shown me no amount of outcry here or Facebook or anywhere else will have them change their minds.

Jeff,

I marched from 1990-95. I went to all three nights of DCI championships in 97, 99, 01, 02. I've witnessed finals 10 times, which is probably more than most of the people who post on this board.

I donated to my corps about ten years ago so a guy could march for free. I own various corps cds and the legacy dvd series and 00-06 and 08. I have not purchased merchandise since.

Sure, I've been to a few local corps shows in the PacNW since I aged out but only to see specific corps that I knew would be worth my $ and I've taken drum corps noobies to see some of the theater shows.

I wouldn't have paid money to see BD's 'Yowza', or Cadets narrated shows, or some other 'garbage' (and I use that term focused entirely on the design teams putting a product on the field that, for me, is not drum corps, NOT the kids performing).

I don't believe that Internet petitions hold weight. DCI will just look at show attendance numbers and theater numbers and think 'aha, we must be doing something right, let's make it more band-like!' After all, every single ludicrous change lately has been to bring in 'more fans' or 'make it more entertaining'.

I wasn't a big fan of marching band when I was a student after I did corps. The DC activity is unique because it is NOT band. DC is bad a$$, like Sameul L Jackson. Woodwinds are not. No one has ever had their face blown off by them. Or by people talking/singing. I think people forget that.

Yeah, if I read that 'x corps' has trombones, french horns, sousaphones, on the field in any fashion, I think I'm done forever. I'm 40 years old now and I just can't support an activity that has changed so much and become band. DCI won't lose just my $, but any potential guests I would have brought... they won't come to a show if I don't go. I doubt they'll even know one is playing, if our area gets one, let alone the movie theater show.

Thanks for letting me rant.

Edited by cavie95
  • Like 1

I'll give this 1 shot although its been beat to death for years...........................just a question..............you are assuming that MOST, MANY ...ALL dont like the new product? as far as lowering prices..thats cool,,,lets get stadiums to lower it also..then busses, schools for corps to stay in..reharsal facilities .etc etc..thats would be great

A properly done research study will help show what the niche market is willing to pay for and how much. The powers to be are making decisions based on their only personal needs and feelings. Only research can show us what the niche market wants and is willing to pay for.

Most likely, had such a study been undertaken and even a preponderance of the evidence taken from the study had supported their position, they would have cited the study.

As someone else pointed out earlier in the thread, most (if not all) of the previous changes like this one have only cited as the reason, "It's about the kids." "It will grow the activity" What would lead anyone to believe anything is different this time around? Did they not allude to just that in the podcast?

Others suggest that despite the "it's about the kids" argument, the preponderance of evidence from the other changes appear to indicate that it's actually about the designers and arrangers.

From an anecdotal perspective Daave, I think you're spot on!

I find it...unsettling in some way I guess, that a very short time after posting on their facebook page that they will be releasing a recap of the meetings on Wednesday, and soliciting through a link to "sign up", DCI posts this link.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=4386210094365

What are they trying to say? Not just coincidence that it is Madison? Almost like a kind of slap in the face to those who might oppose some of the "desires for progress" of the current artists? At least that was my first impression.

And do you read the comment that DCI posted but quickly deleted? It said "This is for you Truman. Up yours!" I swear I saw it. The Mockery! OMG...

Edited by charlie1223

I'm thinking you've not been listening to the right trombonists and DCI shows aren't designed for outside stadiums anymore.

I'd sure like to see a trombone player march and play let's say, a blue devil's baritone show with today's drill. No f'ing way.

Aren't designed for outside stadiums? Are you high? Exactly how many high school and college stadiums are domes?

Interesting at 9:25PM East Coast time on a Monday night with the Olympics on....

13 members are reading this topic plus 3 anonymous members

64 (yes 64) guests are reading.....

Ya think the non-DCPers are interested....

Edit... down one member and now 71 guests 4 minutes later.... Dang Skippy....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

And do you read the comment that DCI posted but quickly deleted? It said "This is for you Truman. Up yours!" I swear I saw it. The Mockery! OMG...

Really? That's all you got? I would have hoped for some more from you than this. Then again...maybe not.

Yeah, probably just some strange coincidence that I am making too much of. That could be the case. Then again...

recent facebook comment posted: "It's great to see some older stuff historic Drum Corps. I wonder if those that scream about changes really want it to stay like this though because quite honestly, I wouldn't watch it if it was like this"

Edited by truman