DCI membership votes overwhelmingly to allow ALL brass instruments in

DCI getting sassy on twitter.....lol

1920123_508318985956128_299678912_n.jpg

No need to start up a corps when there are a couple corps already up, going, and nicely tootin' on G's; and actually have been for quite a while. The Kilties and the "Commandant's Own", as example.

2014 marks The Kilites 80th anniversary since the corps' founding in 1934 by Mr. Raymond Vance.

To clarify, I don't blame George... I actually respect him a lot and thoroughly enjoyed the after show parties he used to throw. I use the expression "Hoppy" more as a symbol of changes that I dislike. Bb, amps, narration... And future changes Im in pure fear of. I haven't posted to DCP in years, but this is extremely important. I freely admit I can't prove that Bb, narration, etc was HIS idea, All I know is the word on the street... For almost 15 years now, the word is that George spearheaded most of these changes... I would point to the narration from their 2007 show- that corps was awesome, the Hornline sounded like a church organ, but the words don't lie... The idea was and IS to make drum corps more accessible and "approachable" to band kids... At the end of the day, that's to pry open wallets, tickets cost a fortune I've never seen or performed at show that wasn't PACKED... If DCI, DCA, or any corps is light on money, there are a zillion ways for world class, non profit, youth organizations to chase that paper without morphing into a lower class activity. I foresee a brief bump in ticket sales, maybe 10 extra shows and more sponsors for a few years.... Then drum corps will be just a host of honor bands that practice extra hard. It won't be unique, it won't be cool or special or amazing... Once a show becomes just a series of decent halftime shows, drum corps will be dead-the fans, the fun, the magic and to those who care-the money will disappear right along with it. I don't care if the change has been approved... When I see an idea floated that could threaten the activity... Ill put that threat on blast and call it out for the BS that it is. Call me conservative, When it comes to drum corps, I reject, avoid and protest change. The only changes that ever helped were- the low mark time, having the pit stand still, switching to valves from piston-rotor, adding a 3rd valve and streamlining middle horns by making them ALL mellos, oh yeah, asymmetrical drill too. I see zero changes for the better this millennium. To sum, for live music; would you spend $100 to see ...93 Star? 95 Madison? 96 PR or BD? 87 Vanguard? Or whatever the 2014 championship show will be? Did VK, The Bridgemen or Big 27 ever seem weak, or lame, or flat to you? Or did they set the stands on fire ? (ok that's rhetorical).

I hope that you see a show this summer that was designed and built: FOR YOU! Not for a judge, a sponsor, or some anonymous HS clarinet player... and certainly not for a number. Rant complete... I need a drink.

Btw, Truman and Barigirl78 sum it up nicely.

...And Nice to see your post Randy! (SkaJerk) what up playa?

• Like 1

No they don't. There were lots of vocalists in drum corps before amplification, but it was understood that, just as you'd never be able to hear, say, one contra solo while the rest of the group was playing forte, you'd only be able to hear the vocals in special circumstances. It works that way in symphony orchestras too, you know.

That's right. They didn't amp us in 1994. Amping vocals today is still garbage.

What part of Drum & Bugle Corps is unclear?

These Happy Hoppy bogus marketing policies may get us a bit of ad revenue from 3rd rate uniform manufacturers.

But lets be honest ... The slippery slope from DC to MB just got greased... AGAIN!!!!

Social connotations:

Drum Corps-Olympic level athleticism combined with professional brass, battery and dance. Honor. Tradition. Military precision and bravery. Rock Stars. A celebrated pastime. Top of a musicians bucket list. 60,000 screaming fans. 12 hour rehearsals. Tour. Age Out Circle. Tears of joy. Jet engine decibel levels in tune and in time. Legends. Miracles. 120 hearts beating as one. Magic. The Pinnacle.

Marching Band- nerds, geeks, get eggs thrown at you, teased by schoolmates, awful uniforms, low talent level, NOT loud, boring, dirty drill, phasing, shows that fall apart. embarrassment. Piccolo shrieks, out of touch band directors, boring music, only existing to praise & support teams that tease us. Halftime Show = go get a hot dog and hit the can. An excuse to skip gym class. Audience sits on their hands.

So go ahead hoppy, you killed the G bugle, added amps and narration, now you have instruments that don't even look like bugles... We all know you want to add alto saxes. Throw in some more woodwinds and our fine, honorable, miracle activity that we devoted our lives to will be reduced to nothing more than an honor-band version of an activity that is fun and enjoyable... But no one respects, listens to on their iPod, gossips about year round or passes legends on through the generations about marching band. MB is a mediocre extra curricular at best. Drum Corps is a transcendent force that can only perish if those in power strip it of what makes it shine. "Let he is without woodwind cast the first egg"

So much this.

I'm not always the most supportive of George Hopkins, but if you knew what you were talking about when it came to the new rules that were proposed, yet not yet having official voting results given,this one wasn't George. Check the DCI news article from January 29, 2014.

You may think it was all him with all those other rules as well, but then again, on some of them you would be wrong as to who presented them.

At any rate, get your facts straight on this one before you blame one man.

But, as I keep doing, I'll point out again, this ####### thread is now on 73 pages, and yet DCI has not said officially if this is even a new rule, so keep speculating, y'all!

We know the history of rule submissions done by him. When they passed it might not have been him that proposed it that year, but he's guilty for opening pandora's box.

I think Blue Knights already used a theremin or theremin like sounds in their show in 2012 "Avian". But you know, its the trombone that's the last straw... go figure!

I think Vanguard also had a theremin "sound" in their "Devil's Staircase" show in 2011.

Edited by LincolnV