DCI membership votes overwhelmingly to allow ALL brass instruments in

Does this include harmonica? It is a wind instrument. The same marching posture expectations would apply. Sound? Just amplify it. Think of what that sound could add to any blues number. BTW don't synthesizers exist to produce sound unavailable to "traditional" (what's that anymore?) brass? Also, what is the USP (unique selling point) that drum corps can pitch to potential advertisers and sponsors? Maybe doing a good deed is to be satisfaction enough. Maybe, with the Olympics in progress, DCI thought it could slip this one through without anyone noticing. Anyway, the decision is quite a surprise.

"Another Nail".

Almost all the nails are hammered in.

Now it's time to "Save six for pallbearers"........ :shaun:

Elphaba

DISCLAIMER: I haven't seen any official announcements yet. That said ...

Good.

Drum corps has "survived" amplification and electronic instruments. Expanded brass voicing will be much easier to implement with far less growing pains.

We've opened the flood-gates electronically. Allowing a slight expansion on the acoustic end doesn't seem like a big detail at this point.

Dry your tears, DCP. Things'll be fine.

DCI has announced that the proposal passed. It's official.

I don't know about next year but after this change, I'm sure they'll be added within the next 3-5 years. I will also be done if that happens

I agree with you.

I know several people in the activity and I assure you that they don't want this. I myself am a trombonist and even I don't want this! I LOVE my trombone and I will continue to play it once I officially switch to bari or euph but I don't plan on auditioning for a drum corps trombone section. Our sound just isnt fit for a drum corps section and you'd have to have a hell of a great section for them to blend well and not sound like poop. Besides I think that the slide would not do well in a drum corps. I wouldn't mind hearing a sexy trombone or french horn solo on the sidelines but I would rather not hear a trombone section in drum corps and mellos are doing just fine in the place of french horns. I could eventually warm up to the idea of trombones and french horns but I know that I will NEVER want to hear a crappy sousaphone played on a drum corps field. EVER.

When we did the petition against amps we got hundreds of signatures from marching members. DCI did not care.

Bizarre. I was pretty shocked that Madison proposed it, and I'm even more shocked that there was a majority in favor of it. Maybe it'll just be used for solos and not be a big deal, but history doesn't really support the idea that DCI designers will make tasteful, restrained use of new toys.

Although I am surprised to see that Madison proposed it, I am not at all surprised that it overwhelmingly passed.

Is it really the sousaphones, french horns or trombones? I don't think so, it's that they're the last buffer between woodwinds being on the field. As much as I hate it, they're coming too. With this rule change, the inevitable is just that much closer. Five years, max?

Is it really the sousaphones, french horns or trombones? I don't think so, it's that they're the last buffer between woodwinds being on the field. As much as I hate it, they're coming too. With this rule change, the inevitable is just that much closer. Five years, max?

I can see woodwinds being allowed "pit only" in the time frame you outline. Thing is, either corps start widening the pit to account for all the "pit only" instruments or they put them on the field where everyone expects them anyway.

Edited by LincolnV

I can see woodwinds being allowed "pit only" in the time frame you outline. Thing is, either corps start widening the pit to account for all the "pit only" instruments or they put them on the field where everyone expects them anyway.

You're right, "pit only" would make sense as the next step and be a much easier sell than on field. I don't know why I even feel so strongly about it. I play electric bass for the Baltimore Ravens Marching Band. Talk about a hypocrite.