"Hey, quiet! Shut up! In the hallway, shut up!"

(I did search the forum for the word "hallway" before posting and got no relevant results.)

So I've got the DCA Fan Network up and I'm listening to the 2003 Finals for the first time.

As many of you doubtless remember, in the middle of Minnesota Brass's show, as the soloist opens "Time to Say Goodbye", someone in the audience shouts out the sentiments in my subject line.

This is a case of the cure being worse than the disease, at least for anyone listening to the recording. He's quite loud.

But it got me to wondering. I had great seats for the two DCA Finals I've attended, both at Annapolis, a few rows from the top and on the fifty yard line. I had terrible seats at the only DCI Finals I've attended (cost a fair bit more than the DCA seats, though) in 2012 in Indianapolis, just outside the left twenty yard line in the 600 section. But in both cases I noticed a problem that I've generally not encountered in smaller stadiums (perhaps because the crowds are smaller?): throughout the show, I could hear people talking in the concession area behind me. Is this a regular Finals problem, or just bad luck on my part (and that of the unfortunate gentleman in 2003)? And who are the people back there who don't have the sense to keep their conversations quiet during a musical performance? And why isn't more done by the show or stadium staff to encourage people in the concession areas to limit their volume?

On a side note as regards 2003: were the Buccaneers (in fifth place) really so much louder than everyone else that year, or is that a quirk of the recording?

Oh, and please tell me that Renegades will be coming back. That 2003 show, though they didn't march all that much, was an absolute blast to listen to.

For the most part, it's been my experience that the vast majority of drum fans "get it" and are very respectful of these things. There's always exceptions though. I generally sit lower at Indy and haven't noticed the chatter of conversation. However, in Atanta, for example, the concessions chatter is very noticable if your seats are anywhere near the concourse. The Georgia Dome is quite open from the seating to concessions. I've purposely purchased seats progressively lower in Atanta for that reason.

Regarding the "Shouting Soloists" on recordings, I completely dislike those that put their individual voices in the show recording that others have worked so hard to perfect - for whatever reason. Cheer as loud as you can, but do it appropriately during the show. The individual call-outs and non-spontaneous shouts are inappropriate and disrespectful to the performers.

• Like 1

scranton was a unique beast. I didn't notice any issues the one year i was in Indy, nor at annapolis, but maybe it was my seats. But at scranton, especially the hally way closest to the Stadium Club, when a corps would start, those waiting back there would have a good old time. I know in the past I yelled a few times at prelims. for finals, I'd just tell the Moosic brown shirts to shut em up

scranton was a unique beast. I didn't notice any issues the one year i was in Indy, nor at annapolis, but maybe it was my seats. But at scranton, especially the hally way closest to the Stadium Club, when a corps would start, those waiting back there would have a good old time. I know in the past I yelled a few times at prelims. for finals, I'd just tell the Moosic brown shirts to shut em up

no doubt,..........but the last year there it changed dramatically when they made the smokers actually go outside, where it used to occur right there in the hallway,...................

:ninja:

I actually thought it WAS one of the brown shirts who yelled out for one of those "cretinous humanoids" ($1 to Bobby Heenan) to "Shut Up" . Personally, I don't think I would have yelled at the top of my lungs in that overhang hallway...I may have walked up to closer proximity to deliver the message...I have to give props to Mike Oldemeyer (I think HE was the soloist) for continuing to play despite the distraction..I remember some 'growling' among the Bari/Euph section after the show. I actually thought they were ready to go up there and feed those folks some G bugle meat.

I would really like to have strung the perps up over the overhang railing by their shoelaces - just to be as big a jerk as they were.

Pat (pardon my violent tendencies)

• Like 1

We must acknowledge the direct correlation between the volume of crowd noise and the consumption of adult beverages! :guinesssmilie:

sory Fred, but I'm going to call ########. because even in Allentown, which had no beverages served, if you sat in the rows at the top of the lower level, crowd noise was still an issue.

We sat in the top row (Handicapped Area) and got the smells along with the noise. I'd say the noise in the concourse at Rochester was about as loud as Annapolis but the stadium construction at MD funneled the noise to the top of the stands. In case you didn't know, right behind the top of the stands is open so the concourse noise comes up without anything to block it. IOW - you can stand in the top row, turn your back to the field and see the concourse right below you.

Edited by JimF-LowBari