Controversy in WGI and DCI

I seem to remember the '84 and '88 Suncoast Sound shows generating some interesting conversations BITD.

I'm not sure of the exact show titles... I seem to remember '84 as "Six O S" and '88 as referencing "The Contemporary Child". Could be waaaay off on that. This Dino gettin' old.

I seem to remember the '84 and '88 Suncoast Sound shows generating some interesting conversations BITD.

I'm not sure of the exact show titles... I seem to remember '84 as "Six O S" and '88 as referencing "The Contemporary Child". Could be waaaay off on that. This Dino gettin' old.

2011 Madison Scouts,...... while wildly popular with fans, generated controversy with the Alica Keys Music Rights Agency, as they could never work out a satisfactory agreement with that multi millionaire outfit to enable them to put the popular " Empire State of Mind " fabulous ending on the DCI released videos and tapes of that show. What a shame too. I hope this diva Keys sings off key the rest of her life now.

Edited by BRASSO

I don't remember if they rewrote it, but I do remember the controversy involving the online broadcast. I think WGI asked them to rewrite their show, but they chose not to, and just weren't shown. Amazingly powerful show, but yes, extremely jarring and really hits the soul hard.

Looking at videos on YouTube, they did rewrite a part of the show near the end. The one part they kept was still jarring which I think was why they didn't want to be on the broadcast.

You are right. It was incredibly powerful and extremely jarring. It's one of those shows where you wish the crowd would stop screaming every time someone threw a high toss.

Looking at videos on YouTube, they did rewrite a part of the show near the end. The one part they kept was still jarring which I think was why they didn't want to be on the broadcast.

You are right. It was incredibly powerful and extremely jarring. It's one of those shows where you wish the crowd would stop screaming every time someone threw a high toss.

Thanks for sending the links. They did change the ending to the show, but they did keep the part that probably caused the most controversy. It is a show that should have probably had silence in it, but winter guard fans are a special group of people.

Yeah I was thinking more along the sides of content/theme. I know there was some controversy with Phantom '08 with the whole violence thing. I also agree there's more controversy in regard to shock-value in WGI (hence the Northmont High School 1997 example). Even their '96 show was controversial, wasn't it about the Vietnam War, or am I thinking of something else?

Suncoast did a Vietnam show in '84, complete with the Wall and a graveyard. I'm sure that was controversial ten years after the end of it. I believe Cavies also did something Vietnam related, although I could be off-base with that

...are you talking about this show?

...that uses Quotes from Hellraiser until 3:44 which is the "moment" that is jarring apparently? That is a pretty jarring show for a high school Winter Guard, but it wasn't boring...

Just watched Fantasia 2012 on the Fan Network, have been using it primarily for percussion, but I enjoy venturing over to the guard side on occasion. That is incredibly intense, can definitely see why it would be controversial, but I personally think they did that very tastefully and in a way that I don't think should really offend, insult anyone. Can't say a drum corps has ever had me emotionally like some of these guard shows do. Beatrix a few years ago with the Anne Frank show come to mind in that category of incredibly riveting emotionally, not controversial in that instance though, not at all. Just incredibly touching.

Edited by DrumManTx

I know there was some controversy with Phantom '08 with the whole violence thing.

Way overblown, and decidedly a very, very tiny fraction of the fanbase expressing that sentiment, imo. My guess, much of it generated by other Corps fans that did not like the fact the show won that year for Phantom Regiment... with judges and fans alike ( quite rare occurance in DCI by the way ). The overaching sentiment with that show was the WOW factor, as it was one of the most liked shows not only of that 2008 season, but one that puts the 08 Phantom show right up there in the classic realm and loved by the vast majority I'd say of modern day DCI Drum Corps fans everywhere. When I think of 2008 Phantom's " Spartacus " show the very LAST thing I think about that show, was that a lot of fans thought of it as " controversial ". Thats because, in my observation, it wasn't at all.

Edited by BRASSO

...are you talking about this show?

...that uses Quotes from Hellraiser until 3:44 which is the "moment" that is jarring apparently? That is a pretty jarring show for a high school Winter Guard, but it wasn't boring..

We were talking about Fantasia 2012.