Controversy in WGI and DCI

Interesting........

Remember the controversy in 2012 with the high school band from Pennsylvania?

They did a show called "St. Petersburg 1917" where the parents alerted Fox News that they were concerned it was celebrating the Russian Revolution.

oh yes.....a local school. and in no way were they celebrating Russia or it's revolution. They found some cool russian tunes, slapped a theme on it, and away we go.

Yes, probably the most controversial Corps in the history of DCI. They seem tame today in retrospect. But all this needs to be viewed in context and historical perspective here when evaulating this. The Briidgemen turned the entire ethos of militaristic bearing on its head back then. Not just in their music or theme selected... it went way, way beyond this. This was afterall the mid 70's where the Madison Explorer Scouts, and the SCV, Anaheim Kingsmen, Cavaliers, Phantom, Boston, Troopers, etc and all the Corps marched out to the field. The Bridgemen however shuffled out to the field, Even Star of Indiana in 93 was not as charring in APPEARANCE as the Bridgemen were for historical context. The Bridgemen were booed early in their debut season, paricularly in the midwest from reports. That said, the hateful looks and the evil eye did seem to give ground on its initial large controversy for them as their show music did seem to be very fan friendly and that controversy did subside in short order once national audiences began to warm up to their show... which for many was not really hard to do at the time, as much of ithe music was fiilled with down home Americana, and mom's apple pie ( although from decidedly a " big urban city " vibes perspective). But make no mistake, their controversial debut was the beginning of several other Corps later taking a non militaristic approach in their styles, ethos, vibes they generated, ie Velvet Knights, and many many others that later followed. When I think of a controversial theme, several come to mind. But when I think of a controversial Corps, the mid 70's Bridgemen broke the mold, and stand above all others, in this respect, imo.

True all, but Bayonne was able to pull it off because they were rock solid in execution

True all, but Bayonne was able to pull it off because they were rock solid in execution

Perhaps, but from my assessment, they were able to win over so many of the national audiences was due their show's rather large entertainment value to these audiences, more than anything else. But its also true that they brought a large measure of solid execution to their shows as well.. so your point's well made, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

The Velvet Knights pushed some boundaries in the 80's that were certainly eye-popping then but nowadays would cause mortals to clutch their pearls and shout, "Oh, the humanity!" in the mock outrage that has become de rigueur in present society.

-- All female plate line popularly known as The Sex Cymbals with the super tight leggy outfits-- those gals could play, epitomized BIG HAIR and had a huge fan base.

-- The pinup girl wearing nothing but a white bikini with matching high heeled pumps :wow: popping out of the hat in 1988 -- GULP!! I can't imagine anyone trying that stunt now.

Edited by TRacer
  • Like 1

Perhaps, but from my assessment, they were able to win over so many of the national audiences was due their show's rather large entertainment value to these audiences, more than anything else. But its also true that they brought a large measure of solid execution to their shows as well.. so your point's well made, imo.

agree:

being clean was certainly way up there with the entertainment value and most of all taking pride in themselves for being different from the rest. These things imo certainly paved the way for a different type drum corps and because of the extremely high quality in all areas was more welcomed and accepted by many. ( not all , but many )

Edited by GUARDLING

The Velvet Knights pushed some boundaries in the 80's that were certainly eye-popping then but nowadays would cause mortals to clutch their pearls and shout, "Oh, the humanity!" in the mock outrage that has become de rigueur in present society.

-- All female plate line popularly known as The Sex Cymbals with the super tight leggy outfits-- those gals could play, epitomized BIG HAIR and had a huge fan base.

-- The pinup girl wearing nothing but a white bikini with matching high heeled pumps :wow: popping out of the hat in 1988 -- GULP!! I can't imagine anyone trying that stunt now.

and the bull pissing on the matador

• Like 2

I don't think " a lot of people outside the activity" view anything we do as " risque performance art ". And I've learned lately that some that are new to DCI don't even consider the performance as " Art "... risque, or otherwise. its a " sport , and thats where the bulk of controversy seems to be within the activity these days Those outside the activity, for most, they don't see the shows on TV, so for them we don't even exist, no matter what we put out there for shows these days, "controversial risque" or otherwise.. as for " shock value", the 70's Bridgemen when they first debuted, in " how the audience felt about it " were chock full of perhaps the most " shock value " in DCI history, imo. It would be considered mild and tame today for sure, but as viewed in its proper historical context, that fits the bill.

I didn't mean how they viewed our activity, I meant actual performance art, as in the type of things you would see at a contemporary art museum. I was just trying to make a comparison to something entirely outside of the activity.

We're so used to the activity that there are rarely instances where we see a show that makes us think "wow, they actually went there."

Compare it to an art enthusiast. If you're used to going through galleries of paintings, photography, etc., and then happen to come across some very out-there performance art, it's a deviation from the norm and really catches them off guard.

I meant actual performance art, as in the type of things you would see at a contemporary art museum. I was just trying to make a comparison to something entirely outside of the activity.

We're so used to the activity that there are rarely instances where we see a show that makes us think "wow, they actually went there."

Oh, NOW I think know what you mean... as a Drum Corps having something we'd see in a " Contemporary Art Museum" and at that level of controversy and " shock value " where people would be shocked a Corps staff actually brought this out to family DCI shows. No. No DCI staffer, for example, is going to go for maximum "shock value " by putting out a show promoting Neo Nazism, Bestiality, Eroticism, Cannibalism, Anarchism, or or other some such topic meant to generate maximum " shock value "

, DCI does not do things we'd be apt to find at"a Contemporary Art Museum" either. We're not going to see that kind of typically X rated " Art " (or " sport " )out on the field of DCI anytime soon either. BD might do a controversial show by DCI fans standards, but even their staff is not going to do ( for just one example ) nudity that we'd routinely see portrayed at our "Contemporary Art Museums" in places like LA, NY, Paris, Berlin, etc. So I finally get get what you are driving at now, but no, we're not going to see something like this at family attended DCI summer shows in our lifetimes, imo. (Hope not, anyway.)

Edited by BRASSO

Monique? I love her! She is such a fun woman!

2 interesting things about the 'Surfer Girl'

- When the show was over one of the announcers (music professor from somewhere) said 'Well, that is the most complicated thing we have seen all night' as the camera was on her as she left the field. Cesario cracked up....; Rondo got it back on topic

- According to the VK DM, who used to post here (I believe) and on RAMD, said she was overage - like 23 or 24

• Like 1