Aimachi at WGI

It's the future for what community drum corps could be and should be doing (rather than putting 15 horns on a football field).

However, getting rid of the WGI approach to physical movement would help the concept latch on. Not every movement of the body or set change has to be accompanied by graceful swan-like movements of the arms and legs, apropos of nothing. It looks silly. Same thing goes for the percussion sections. I think the WGI folks are unaware of how goofy and pretentious that looks to the rest of the world.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 3

Will WGI winds require it's own weekend like color guard and percussion do? Maybe not next year perhaps, but the show days this year just for drums took every possible second. Can WGI handle there consecutive weekends?

Mesmerizing!

Has ALL the elements (and a few more) as displayed outdoors, with the same impact, yet on a smaller scale in ideal conditions that permit a broad range of new 'wows' to emerge.

DON'T tell me some version of indoor (drum corps?) can't flourish. It can, and it will.

It's the future for what community drum corps could be and should be doing (rather than putting 15 horns on a football field).

However, getting rid of the WGI approach to physical movement would help the concept latch on. Not every movement of the body or set change has to be accompanied by graceful swan-like movements of the arms and legs, apropos of nothing. It looks silly. Same thing goes for the percussion sections. I think the WGI folks are unaware of how goofy and pretentious that looks to the rest of the world.

I think the more advanced movements make it a more difficult activity; it separates indoor from outdoor.We certainly don't need indoor marching band. Aimachi looked GREAT!!

Mesmerizing!

Has ALL the elements (and a few more) as displayed outdoors, with the same impact, yet on a smaller scale in ideal conditions that permit a broad range of new 'wows' to emerge.

DON'T tell me some version of indoor (drum corps?) can't flourish. It can, and it will.

Perhaps on the independent side.

But I don't see this succeeding on the scholastic side. Who will staff and run it? The BDs want nothing to do with it -- they're quite happy to leave MB season behind and focus on their concert programs and other ensembles. The rest of the MB staff is already fully committed to the winter guard or drum line.

Additionally, winter has always been the time for the guard and percussion programs to "get out from under" the ensemble. Instead of supporting roles, they can now assume center stage.

Indoor winds is very cool. I like it a lot. But I suspect there's a good reason it hasn't taken flight already.

Local community drum corps that 'do not' use the graceful swan-like physical movements already exist and have existed for years like: the Grey Knights, Warriors , KnightFire , Blue Notes, Erie Thunderbirds, Mon Valley Express, Keystone Regiment , Ghost Riders. Hornets, Mighty St Joe, Toronto Signels, Group Therapy, Sine Wave Brass, Steel City Ambassadors, Green Berets, White Sabors, Hit Men Brass, Royal Airs, Strikers,…. And since that is what you see as what the future of the WGI indoor activity needs to be, I take it then you are currently supporting the endeavors of those corps which fit your criteria as well as the indoor activities that already support your criteria such as SDCA and DCNA.

I could see it taking off because I'd imagine it's much cheaper and more feasible to participate in WGI Winds than to run a successful BOA program if nothing else but on size alone.