Aimachi at WGI

I I never attacked Phantom in a demeaning fashion at all. I said I don't like their current show trend, not sure how that's demeaning.

You said on another thread you are tired of" the violence "and ( your words ) " beheadings " in Phantom's shows. ( Phantom has had no " beheadings " lately in their shows.. and SCV did a show on a theme of Revolution last year, but its beside the point.). I'd assess this as both inaccurate as well as demeaning. re. Phantom. You are of course, entiitled to your opinions on things, including what you said re. Phantom as well as anything at all you want to say about anything at all, including Corps.. but leave the self righteousness behind fsubone, as its hypocritical as all get out when somebody's opinion simply doesn't square with yours. Yes, I do think its silly to call DCI a competitive " sport " and not competitive " Performance Music Arts " or some such. But I don't think you or anyone else is " apoplectic " because your views don't square with mine ( or others ). You'd be on better ground to state my comments are " silly " and not " grounded in reality " or some such, and state your reasons why. The slings at me get tired and lame after awhile, imo. But.. whatever.

Edited by BRASSO

You said on another thread you are tired of" the violence "and ( your words ) " beheadings " in Phantom's shows. ( Phantom has had no " beheadings " lately in their shows.. and SCV did a show on revolution last year, but its beside the point.).

Yes, I am tired of the same stories every year. Same way I don't enjoy BD's "weird shows." Not demeaning. Phantom had beheadings in their show in 2012, so just one season ago. And last year, the girl slay the evil queen by striking her in the neck region, so close to a beheading. I like Phantom's shows, I just think they need to go somewhere else with the plot lines. Keep the classical music, leave the death I guess is my point? And SCV never included representations of death in their show. If they did, I wouldn't have enjoyed it as much. I just don't find it necessary to tell a story on the field.

Can we all please agree that the Phantom Regiment 'puppet witch' was silly? Can we at least do that please?

Only if we agree that anything a corps does on the field in a small segment that we think is " silly ", generally is a sidebar at best, and usually does not detract from the enjoyment of shows ( except with FSU, as he doesn't like simulated beheadings and such in a small segment of shows, so one presumes he didn't care for the Cav's 2008 " Samarai " show at all ). Can we agree that EVERY corps has at least 1 thing that falls into the " silly " realm too ? Just about EVERY DCI Corps puts some small thing or things out on the field that are "silly"., imo. Heck, I thought Crown's unis last season were embarrassingly " silly ", and felt bad for their marchers in those hideous looking unis out on the field, but I could look beyond this, and could enjoy their highly creative and interesting show despite this, as their brass line was simply phenomenal. ( not picking on Crown, but used them here as my primary example as afterall, they are the current standard bearer in DCI as its current Champion). So sure, the puppet witch in Phantom's show was a bit of a momentary eyesore for the few moments it was displated out on the field, but their Corps had a very enjoyable show too, imo... ( and from the audience reaction, with most other fans finding their 2013 show highly entertaining in its totality as well ).

Edited by BRASSO

I could see it taking off because I'd imagine it's much cheaper and more feasible to participate in WGI Winds than to run a successful BOA program if nothing else but on size alone.

Actually, as someone who works with a group that does both, its MORE expensive per capita to take a group to WGI than to BOA. In marching band, you have anywhere from 50-200 people paying for trucks, show design, props (when applicable), uniforms etc and other fixed expenses. In indoor, you still have the same gear to get from point A to point B, but have far fewer people to pay for it. Show design is less expensive, but not in proportion to the drop in membership. You still need any other fixed costs, and there are fewer people to pay for it.

Obviously the overall total number is lower, but most of these groups depend, to some extent, on individual membership "fair shares" and those fair shares are harder to keep low in indoor in my experience.

Actually, as someone who works with a group that does both, its MORE expensive per capita to take a group to WGI than to BOA. In marching band, you have anywhere from 50-200 people paying for trucks, show design, props (when applicable), uniforms etc and other fixed expenses. In indoor, you still have the same gear to get from point A to point B, but have far fewer people to pay for it. Show design is less expensive, but not in proportion to the drop in membership. You still need any other fixed costs, and there are fewer people to pay for it.

Obviously the overall total number is lower, but most of these groups depend, to some extent, on individual membership "fair shares" and those fair shares are harder to keep low in indoor in my experience.

indoor isn't cheap tha'ts for sure. I know independent groups who spend alot for all the things you mention and a boat load of money for rehearsal locations. When a kid doesnt pay ( an on going issue ) there have been many groups that have gone under specifically for this reason. Winter programs do depend on members dues.

Groups like Aimachi are another story for sure, and a successful one at that.

Edited by GUARDLING

Holy crap--we just witnessed a change in the activity! Love this more than what some of the world class corps have been putting out recently.

• Like 1