Blue Devils 2014 Thread

This is right up their alley, and unlike most recent years, for me, I'm actually looking forward to this one! Good luck BD!

• Like 1

To quote the supposedly famous/infamous words of Admiral Yamamoto immediately following Pearl Harbor:

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant, and fill him with a terrible resolve."

Something tells me Blue is on the warpath....

Hmm...interesting. My gut was heading in a different direction thinking that maybe the judges won't be so intrigued by BD's design approach this time around....and BD lands in 3rd. Have been wrong many times.....but one never knows. :smile:

My friend went to a camp. He says that the show is going to be awesome and not strange or weird. Sung me part of the ballad. Should be a great show

if I had a $1 for every year we hear this....

It's fascinating how DCI fans are some of the most unprogressive and hypocritical fans around. As far as BDs current direction in shows being labeled as "esoteric", how can a piece that is a 100 years old be called esoteric? Just because YOU haven't heard of it, doesn't mean it's esoteric. Which is why I'm calling these people unprogressive.

A show of hands, how many people here dislike pop music? Who here hates whats played on the radio? Who here tries to get there non musician friends to listen to "better" music or musicians? But when it comes to drum corps, all everyone wants to here is Malaguena and Phantom Of The Opera. Which is why I'm calling these people hypocrites.

Since 2008 BD has been wasting great shows on DCI.

i'm open to great music that is presented as more than power chords on the move with tons of ramming by the battery in between narration.

and personally, if I hear Malaguena again, a pupyy gets killed.

I still don't fully understand why people think BD is SOOOOO innovative in their show design. I see them live every single year, so I know the shows, and I also do my required homework on the shows before I see them to have any chance of understanding them. So I am very familiar with them every year.

Legitimate question: likes/dislikes of BD shows aside, why are they considered to be so incredibly innovative? Perhaps I'm just missing something.

because the honks say it is, therefore it must be.

this applies to all corps.

i'll admit i'm a little more intriguied than previous years, but again, it all comes down to arrangement and presentation

They are going to kill with this show. I have a positive feeling about it and if anyone knows me and i AM NOT a fan of the abstract, conceptual Devils versus the in-your-face, big ballz Blue Devils.

However, Federico Fellini was about smashing every norm in the film industry - going places others were afraid to go and doing what other filmmakers were scared ######## of doing. If the Devils embrace this ideal and the impression Fellini made and put it on the field, its complexity will challenge what Crown did in 2013.

However.....we do not know what Crown is doing yet - so hold on to your butts....it's going to be a wild ride!!!

• Like 1

Ever since I first heard music of "Toby Dam mit"* (from the third of the 1968 omnibus film Spirits of the Dead that was directed by Fellini) and The Clowns (Fellini's 1971 made-for-TV quasi-documentary) in 2004, I knew I had to find out more about this composer. Then in '06, they said they were doing Rota! I freaked, but it wasn't the stuff I really liked. Now they are doing almost all of the stuff I had wished they would do (still hoping for an all Zappa show though). :-)

Maybe this will lead to more Rota than just The Godfather and Romeo and Juliet being played in drum corps. He was exceedingly prolific in both the cinema and the concert hall. My first suggestion: the theme from I Vitelloni, which I like every bit as much as that from La Strada (which BD is playing). Amarcord would be nice, too; it's used in BD's Youtube video but isn't one of their selections.

*It's annoying that DCP to put a space in the name Dam mit; Toby is a character in the Edgar Allen Poe story, "Never Bet the Devil Your Head", the source of the Fellini short film mentioned above.

• Like 1