Judging system/score sheets

I'm working on something and need detailed specifics on the scoring system. Can you guys fill in the blanks of what I need? Some of this may seem basic, but I need it to be accurate.

1. How is the final score calculated? (Aren't some captions added together and then divided or something?)

2. What do judges look for in each of the captions? Like.. the GE Music judge looks for... the GE Visual judge looks for.. the Visual-Analysis judge looks for...

3. Each caption has 2 boxes which vary per caption: [Rep & Perf], [Cont & Ach], [Comp & Achv] - What do they stand for?

For example: Rep is for Repertoire which is.... Perf is for performance which is.... (as it applies to each caption)

General Effect

General Effect - Music

Rep

Perf

General Effect - Visual

Rep

Perf

Visual

Visual Proficiency

Cont

Ach

Visual - Analysis

Comp

Achv

Colorguard

Sbst

Achv

Music

Music - Brass

Cont

Achv

Music - Analysis

Cont

Achv

Music - Percussion

Cont

Achv

Thanks for the help!

I'm working on something and need detailed specifics on the scoring system. Can you guys fill in the blanks of what I need? Some of this may seem basic, but I need it to be accurate.

1. How is the final score calculated? (Aren't some captions added together and then divided or something?)

2. What do judges look for in each of the captions? Like.. the GE Music judge looks for... the GE Visual judge looks for.. the Visual-Analysis judge looks for...

3. Each caption has 2 boxes which vary per caption: [Rep & Perf], [Cont & Ach], [Comp & Achv] - What do they stand for?

For example: Rep is for Repertoire which is.... Perf is for performance which is.... (as it applies to each caption)

General Effect

General Effect - Music

Rep

Perf

General Effect - Visual

Rep

Perf

Visual

Visual Proficiency

Cont

Ach

Visual - Analysis

Comp

Achv

Colorguard

Sbst

Achv

Music

Music - Brass

Cont

Achv

Music - Analysis

Cont

Achv

Music - Percussion

Cont

Achv

Thanks for the help!

wow ! would love to help BUT there would be a novel here. Youre best getting hold of some sheets which also explains alot of what you are asking. If I have some laying around here ( I usually don't keep alot of junk year to year ) I will send to you. I really don't think I do though but will check .I'm sure there may be some here that will answer but some just might confuse you more...lol.Good Luck with your project.

Thanks. I don't necessarily need HUGE explanations. Just basics is fine. For example.. if you were going to give someone in the audience a score sheet who has never judged.. give a quick rundown on what he or she is supposed to look for in each caption and how to fill in the sheets and calculate the score.

Thanks. I don't necessarily need HUGE explanations. Just basics is fine. For example.. if you were going to give someone in the audience a score sheet who has never judged.. give a quick rundown on what he or she is supposed to look for in each caption and how to fill in the sheets and calculate the score.

well just to be brief: Im sure other will add their view of it. When I have judged or what I expect from judge is the WHAT, then HOW

What was being presented and then How did that come across and how was it done . Even the most experienced in the activity have trouble understanding the sheets or disagree how they need to be interpreted. That even goes for some judges

General Effect

General Effect - Music

Rep

Perf

General Effect - Visual

Rep

Perf

Visual

Visual Proficiency

Cont

Ach

Visual - Analysis

Comp

Achv

Colorguard

Sbst

Achv

Music

Music - Brass

Cont

Achv

Music - Analysis

Cont

Achv

Music - Percussion

Cont

Achv

Thanks for the help!

In a nutshell, the top caption is what they are doing, (demand, book, creativity, relevance) and the bottom caption is how well they are doing it. Visual Proficiency is what they are doing and how well judged at field level and Visual Analysis is an evaluation from higher up looking at what they are doing as a group and how well. Visual GE looks more at the programming and development and how they are performing. That's my take although someone will paste the DCI judging manual here for you I'm sure. Similar with music captions/music analysis/GE a Music. Judging is very subjective in modern DCI. They love you and your show or they don't. Edited by theCHEZman

Can no one help me with this? Looking for how the final score is calculated. For example.. last night Cadets had a 74 in GE Visual Rep and a 67 in GE Visual Perf.. making the GE Visual total 14.1. How?

Can no one help me with this? Looking for how the final score is calculated. For example.. last night Cadets had a 74 in GE Visual Rep and a 67 in GE Visual Perf.. making the GE Visual total 14.1. How?

7.4 + 6.7 = 14.1
  • Like 2

Someone here (maybe Boo) posted a link to the judges sheets on DCI. You'd have to search through DCP to find them, but they give an explanation. Maybe that's what you're asking for?

Maybe some of this?

http://issuu.com/drumcorpsinternational/docs/2012_judging_sheets_full_set/2?e=0

http://www.dci.org/news/pdf/2008/080809_music_effect_judge_sheet.pdf

Edited by jjeffeory