Mini Corps won't be recorded this year.

Neither on CD/DVD or for the Fan Network, according to this item lately posted to DCA's website. The impetus seems to be putting fewer hurdles in the way of participation: no need to acquire mechanical or synchronization rights.

Also there will be an award for the fans' favorite Mini Corps as determined by texting.

Didn't see anything for the charge to enter a corps in the Mini show.

9PM Saturday night... *ugh* so Prelims.... run to Mini show..... then 10AM for Alumnis next day..... Really not a schedule for the more mature set. I'd include myself but won't be able to attend in person....

Mini corps never did acquire the sync or mechanical rights, so this will not result in savings to the individual corps,......it will save the recording company time and money tho, since they don't have to do the task of recording,..............which begs the question: if DCA is not going to produce the audio or DVD, what is the purpose of the mini corps getting the rights to arrange and perform their book, when other individuals and ensembles are not required to do so?

Someone should reach out to the inimitable IronLips, himself a Grammy winning producer...

No one could record it better...

Mini corps never did acquire the sync or mechanical rights, so this will not result in savings to the individual corps,......it will save the recording company time and money tho, since they don't have to do the task of recording,..............which begs the question: if DCA is not going to produce the audio or DVD, what is the purpose of the mini corps getting the rights to arrange and perform their book, when other individuals and ensembles are not required to do so?

are you refering to competing or alumni? Competing corps sure as hell do get those rights, or like we saw with Fusion last year or the year before something gets edited off the dvd

Guessing Gary means the ensembles and individuals at I&E. All I did was send $10 and I played straight out of the Ludwig DC Manual.....

are you refering to competing or alumni? Competing corps sure as hell do get those rights, or like we saw with Fusion last year or the year before something gets edited off the dvd

not at all refering to field corps,..........I clearly said individuals and ensembles,.......meaning I & E,..............

I will say tho,...it is quite surprizing how hard DCA has pushed the minis on this matter and told they could not compete without the proper paperwork, while examples like the one you cite are allowed to compete all summer, up to and including finals weekend without arrangement or performance rights,...............

not at all refering to field corps,..........I clearly said individuals and ensembles,.......meaning I & E,..............

I will say tho,...it is quite surprizing how hard DCA has pushed the minis on this matter and told they could not compete without the proper paperwork, while examples like the one you cite are allowed to compete all summer, up to and including finals weekend without arrangement or performance rights,...............

Mini-corps absolutely should secure arranging and performing rights. That's a no-brainer. If they want to not pay them, they should write original music and perform that. I&E solo and ensembles generally perform music that already comes with performance rights, so the point is moot.

As for the recordings, if they aren't at the very least a break-even proposition for DCA and the video company, they shouldn't record mini-corps. I have no issue with that. Minis can make their own video recordings quite easily.

• Like 2

it can also be pulled after you get permission. it happened to Phantom in 2008.

was I&E ever recorded outside of minis?