Why do You Stay?

I think opinions are informed by perspective. I am probably one of the 'older' fans, but I really enjoy the creative and musical excellence of today's DCI (and, not just because my son is having the summer of his life). Back in the late '60s to mid '70s when I was in college, all music majors (except double reeds) were required to play in the marching band. Marching was simpler but quality of sound was impressive, and at that time, we had almost no one who was looking toward playing with the Kingsmen or Velvet Knights, et al. As a percussionist, I dug what the lines were doing, but our brass players were looking at the Chicago Symphony brass as their 'north star.' Drum corps brass was not on the radar.

As more and more top high school and college musicians experienced the developing DCI teaching concepts that swept the activity through the '80s and beyond, and with the influence of DCI and WGI on the activity, the level of performance and demand mushroomed; and now, I think DCI is akin to marching band on steroids. But, the good old days can safely be remembered and then placed to the side, IMHO.

That's the answer I'm expecting with most, if not everyone that replies to this little thread, and I completely agree. When you invest a large amount of time, passion, money, relationships, ect. into something, you can't just let go. And hey, I'm not a fan of everything that's changed either, and there's nothing wrong with speaking up and saying hey, I don't like it and here's why.

My main interest is in those that think the activity is dead, is glorified marching band, and that it is awful. Why do those that think it is so far gone beyond repair and their enjoyability, still like to stir up hell about it even though they are so disgusted?

Some people have invested quite a bit into the activity, probably FAR FAR FAR more than most modern marchers as they probably marched over 10 years. Not to mention, the time after they were out volunteering or other things to get the corps down the road. This is REAL personal investment and commitment. These people I can actually listen and relate too regardless if they like modern marching band or not. Newer age outs I can listen and relate too as well as they have walked the walk. I suppose the twist side would be be people that come here in their teens (or later), never marched, seem to know everything about drum corps and bring up older people dying off and being irrelevant. THAT is some serious trolling folks.

I suppose as a side note, some people live in the past. Just like the guys you meet at your high school reunion still talking about a football game from those years. Or the other people in their 40's trying to relive their youth by posting in face book how much they workout everyday or some ironman or marathon they are in. I suppose I am lucky I got it out of system when I was young. Sort of, been there, did moved on.

• Like 2

I suppose as a side note, some people live in the past. Just like the guys you meet at your high school reunion still talking about a football game from those years. Or the other people in their 40's trying to relive their youth by posting in face book how much they workout everyday or some ironman or marathon they are in. I suppose I am lucky I got it out of system when I was young. Sort of, been there, did moved on.

Married With Chldren" - Al Bundy 4 touchdowns in a game for Polk High always comes to mind. For those too young to remember, ol' Al had a rotten job, life, marriage, etc and remembering that one night of glory was what he hung on to.

Funny thing is most people I know in a (lesser known) Alumni type corps do it because they enjoy playing music and entertaining people. Amazing how many times the members have been accused of trying to relive their past glory. Wonder if that includes the member who never did corps LOL. That being said I know plenty of people outside of corps who have hit or hitting the mid-life crisis stage. Lot of motorcycles, sports cars and b-wording......

• Like 1

For the discussions. The discussions that often turn into that car wreck on the side of the road that you just must rubberneck... that Sunday afternoon, tuning in to NASCAR to see "the big one"... The passionate discourse that spirals ultimately into "Rabbit Season / Duck Season"

I always have fun when I come here to read and as I have written before, the internet d!ck measuring contests always deliver.

If I may be allowed to go down historical lane a bit. If you are from Boston and followed drum corps in the 60's, 70's, or 80's, there are certain names you know: the three "Georges" Bonfiglio, Zingali, and Bevilacqua, and when you mention Goerge Bonfiglio, his wife Patsy always comes to mind and 27th Lancers all but genuflect and say "I'm not worthy" when their names are said and from what I can see with good reason. Some of the greats I had the honor to meet, Peter Nuccio comes to mind, though I met him not through his connections to the drum corps activity but due to other service in the community showing many of these wonderful people not only contributed to drum corps but the larger society. Three beloved figures were friends and mentors: Fr. J. Joseph Kierce, Fr. Charlie Duggan, and Monsignor Robert McNeill. I taught at St. Kevin's School in Dorchester long after the Emerald Knights days. Fr. Kierce was still pastor and this man was a giant in so many ways. I could also count Fr. Charlie Duggan as a friend and he loved sharing wisdom with the then young priest assigned to the parish he attended as a child. Then there was Msgr. McNeill. He attended every show of the CYO Circuit and made sure he knew at least some marching members of every band, drum corps, and drill team. He always hoped I'd be a priest and if the circuit was still going, I'd keep it alive. Sadly the circuit is long gone. Now I didn't want to talk vocation with Msgr. McNeill, most 7th graders do not, I wanted to talk drum corps, and he would love sharing stories about corps long gone which I though was eons before my time but in reality was only a few years: corps like Chicago Royal Aires, St. Mary's Cardinals, St. Kevin's, Blue Rock, St. Rita's Brassmen, etc. He was old school at heart, but he also wanted to assemble the best talent for the CYO Nationals and was very proud of bringing the then rising threat to Boston--the Blue Devils and a shocking group at the time, the Bridgemen who dropped the St. Andrew's portion of their name and revolutionized drum corps.

I don't know if I have Msgr. McNeill's gifts as a priest, but I do share his attitude concerning drum corps. I will always love the corps of the late 70's/early 80's, and they will always be my frame of reference. I miss 27th, North Star, and Bridgemen. The powerful and talented BAC of today is still the gritty BAC of the late 70's I loved and respected. I'm old school at heart. When Madison gets loud, I want it louder and without trombones. But tomorrow night in Lawrence I fully expect to be blown away by Bluecoats and can't wait to see Crown. Why do I come back? You can love drum corps of yesterday and even wish the old days would return, but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy, respect, and appreciate what is happening today.

Edited by Tim K
  • Like 1

I marched in the 70s and am a longtime participant in online drum corps forums participating in RAMD as a grad student in the 90s.

I rarely read or post here because year after year 95% of the posts are about how horrible modern day drum corps is, the decline of the activity, what's wrong with the activity, etc. yawn. That negativie view does not square with my feelings about drum corps so I don't engage or even read very often

That said, during the season I do appreciate hearing others views on show they've seen, learning about staff changes etc. So there is some wheat among the chaff.

FWIW there are two things I don't understand about all the negativity. In an activity that has always had artistic creativity and innovation as a core value why would you expect or want the activity to remain fixed in some particular era? Why do you assume that your preferred tastes in drum corps should reign supreme throughout the activity?

Peace out drum corps brothers and sisters. Drums on parade tonight!

• Like 4

. There was an old guy sitting behind me and just to the left. Every few minutes he would grumble to the guy next to him (I believe they came out together to spectate) about this or that, or how this was crap, that was crap, . He applauded for nobody except...

when Madison Scouts came on and did their relatively easy program, he couldn't get enough of it.

So you see how I see a lot of the "old timers"..

I look at this a bit differently. DCI should be eternally thankful that it still has a Drum Corps like the Madison Scouts that a significantly large proportion of the DCI fanbase ( and generally an affluent one at that) " can not get enough of.". He had his likes and he had his dislikes. Like all of us here. Why does it bother you so that he and his friend with him ( of whatever age the 2 were ) found most of the Corps shows to their disliking, but did find one Corps show they both loved and " could not get enough of " ? Other than the fact the two apparently talked too loudly ( we get this too with the fans yapping on their cell phones during the shows lets be honest with ourselves here, and usually more of them at the shows causing everyone around them " annoyance" with that, imo ), the two were seemingly brought out to the show by one Corps. But how really different is this than with the legions of fans that trickle into all these shows to see their family members perform in just their Corps performance and then and annoyingly make us have to get up as they push down to their seats and then just moments later annoyingly push back out over us and leave after their 1 corps performs ? I see little to no difference frankly. Other than the fact that whatever brings out the fans to a show.. whether its one Corps, or 25 of them, is a GOOD thing, not what they say and do once they get there. Its their time money and energy, not ours. Being critical of people that still come out to the shows.. for whatever reason.... is no way to grow the audience base, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

I am returning at a Cadets volunteer this year, after being away to take a break and focus on my health

What an amazing year to be able to return!

I say be able, because march of 2013...I was on a path that was not so good.

I have lost 60lbs since my diagnoses of hypertension and type2 diabetes

I am thrilled to return and looking forward to serve this amazing corps!