Why have there been so many negative and hurtful/mean comments made on

I rarely post on this site; however I am concerned by the comments being written over the past few years. Many comments appear to be mean spirited. I always thought this forum's intent was to be supportive of the activity. Is this a sign of the way our country is heading? Is this a generation issue where people don't care about the impact their comments have on others? The alumni that I have talked to have never spoken negatively of their former corps.

• Like 3

I believe forums where people can hide behind a screen name can invite bad behavior. If you read any news site on the web, it only takes about three postings to get thrown off topic, or politically/racially-charged.

Since I use my real name at the bottom of my postings I know I have to be a "good boy" :smile: .....and not a :devil:.

• Like 1

One person's mean spirited is another's honest evaluation. I appreciate supporting the activity, but DCP is more about discussion. The DCI.ORG site is about support.

• Like 2

I think there are several things at work here.

1) people are more sensitive and take things more personally than they should these days.

2) as Brian mentioned, people feel like they can hide behind screen names (I personally don't use my real name or my associations simply because I am opinionated and don't want my opinions to be taken as representative of anything or anyone I work with)

3) its early season, so the board is busier and a little more heated as people get out their first read opinions.

4) our society is very fan based, and as such, we tend to defend whatever group we're a fan of regardless of whether critique has merit. I'm certainly guilty of this from time to time (as I've said, I'm pretty opinionated). As such, any time anything critical is said about a corps, that corps' fans tend to get pretty heated. This is not isolated to any one corps, as every corps has their fans and their detractors. Its petty and silly for sure, but you can see how it happens.

However, if you think this is bad, you should have been around in the RAMD days... I was just a lurker back then, rarely posting because I didn't want to get swept into the vitriol.

This forum is a looooong distance away from comment threads on news sites etc. I think you see a lot of personality here, and honking.

• Like 1

This is pretty much the go-to explanation, as far as I'm concerned:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-is-everyone-on-the-internet-so-angry/

The only thing I'd add is the Dunning-Kruger effect: There's a tendency (only a tendency, and not necessarily applicable to anyone on DCP) for, shall we say, ill-informed people to be arrogant in their opinions, because one of the things they're ignorant of is the limits of their expertise, and for well-informed people to hold their tongues because they are acutely aware of how much they don't know.

Regarding DCP in particular, I'd say there are two other factors that certainly don't help discourse. First, almost all of us are not just drum corps fans, but partisans of one corps in particular. Second, there's just no way to conclusively "prove" that one horn line, guard, etc. is better than another the same way instant replay can prove something in sports.

I agree that vitriol on DCP is small potatoes compared to say, YouTube, as well as to RAMD.

• Like 1

I rarely post on this site; however I am concerned by the comments being written over the past few years. Many comments appear to be mean spirited. I always thought this forum's intent was to be supportive of the activity. Is this a sign of the way our country is heading? Is this a generation issue where people don't care about the impact their comments have on others? The alumni that I have talked to have never spoken negatively of their former corps.

Welcome to the Internet.