Pioneer 2014

The thing I really like about Pioneer and this has been mentioned before is that they are truly a "teaching" corps.

I know they have turned out a number of horn players who auditioned as snare drummers or "snaritones". One would think that being more rounded with this experience is a tremendous asset to some of these future band directors.

Go Pioneer.

When I consistently see high school groups with kids marching with better technique, I begin to wonder about the "teaching" here and its associated pedagogy. The experience of doing drum corps is great, but what information will these kids be taking to their future bands?

Edit: I just realized how super-negative that sounded. Apologies for tone. Trying to think of a better way to state it and failing...

Edited by RContra

To answer in general...

The idea of doing a show with 'conflict' in it from a general standpoint within the 'Irish' identity, would in theory fit the former parameter of the programming. However, those programming parameters have changed as we've gone to a more Contemporary Christian Meets St. Pattys Day paradigm.

As we've discussed in past conversations when looking at show programming, in general Roman appreciates and seems to really like those kinds of shows that have that conflict, but doesn't see that as part of what this corps does. We've discussed many times how PR's recent shows that fit the 'conflict' as describe is well done and effective (Spartacus, Juliet, for example)... however when mentioning a similar idea for us, he prefers shows that are more positive in tone (Yes, this is a shift from previous shows, i.e. "Irish in the Civil War", even the "Oliver" show). That also transcribes to no death. Those of you who recall 2012 and the initial discussions that I believe I posted, many of us wanted to go in a "Boondocks Saints" direction (at least musically, to create that confilct). It was vetoed... :/

Currently, the programming trend is towards a synthesis of Contemporary Christian and Irish themes. Will this continue for 2015? Most likely, but we have no idea (and nor has it been discussed to my knowledge) what direction that will be. Again, the focus is on 2014 and THIS season, in all aspects. That is most important at the moment to set up 2015 for success, no matter what it is.

As far as teaching and the pedagogy... I can't speak for everything that is done, taught, or retained after a season. What I can tell you is that we (along with other corps in our general ranking area) have on average... younger students... new to the activity... and less experienced initially than the other comparative corps. I know from a teaching perspective that sometimes it takes a year or two for those students who DO stay to see a bump in growth and achievement, and each season's turnover is what makes that a challenge.

As for the recruitment with bands in the SE WI/Chicagoland area... not for lack of trying! As one of the band directors for a top band in that area, it's difficult to get them to pack more in their schedule, along with costs, etc. It's hard to convince a student from one of these top programs who already goes to BOA, is high ranking in their respective circuit, etc to be a part of any corps, whether it's cost or the standing of the corps, or anything in between. We finally have about a half dozen kids from the Milwaukee area this year, and that's steady growth from the past 2 years.

Slowly this is changing... again by using Twitter, Facebook, and other media to promote the corps. It's grassroots. Past recruiting at other circuit shows is a double edged sword, looking at cost and how many people come. Those things that are inexpensive (i.e. twitter... and that's not a small statement...) in getting the good news of the corps out there are cost effective and best served in the long run. Our goal is 5000 followers on Facebook, and 5000 on Twitter before finals... a 25% increase in both. This was done last year, too. Even Roman understands that the social media aspect of this is a big deal. The posters on those include 3-4 staff (including me and the webmaster) and 3 student leaders to provide an embedded experience.

Sorry to ramble... but I promised to answer questions, and I hope I have! If you get a chance to promote us online and help the corps, please do so!

Thanks, and have a good night!
LRD

• Like 3

What has kept Pioneer where they are is that steadfast and stubborn "ideology" and "image" that they have been confined to over the years. I've known many individuals who have taught that corps, only to leave after 1-3 years, being very frustrated by the fact that the corps is creatively limited in terms of music and show design. In the late '90s, the corps had a chance to really explode and make a move. The membership and talent were there; but the show design wasn't. I especially recall the '98 corps, they were a full 128 members strong and very good; however, they looked and sounded like a watered down 27th Lancers. Which leads me to my next point. The 27th Lancers had an English and Scottish image; but even they evolved musically. It would be so refreshing if Pioneer would come out with a show that didn't have an Irish title or theme.

• 1 month later...

One of the things I enjoy about Pioneer is their populist approach. Their musical choices fit the corps well, but I also agree that at times it seems as if it is the same show, different years. So I have a few suggestions,

First: Move a bit away from "Irish" music and embrace the Celtic repertoire. Many of the musical choices are what Americans believe is Irish music. It may be more creative to use what the Irish consider Irish music. A few suggestions for ideas would be groups and musicians such as the High Kings, Enya, Clannad, The Wolf Tones, The Phil Coulter/James Galway collaborations, the Chieftans (obviously) or a favorite of mine not well known outside of Ireland Ceili Bandits (heard them in a pub not knowing they were a cult favorite). If you want to stick with the standards, look at what Celtic Thunder, Celtic Women, or the three Irish tenors do with them. Do a "Fields of Athenry for all its worth like the tenors and you'll own the audience!

Second, you are using contemporary religious music in your program. All for it, for many reasons, but watch the 1990 Cavaliers performance of John Rutter's "All Things Bright and Beautiful." Great contemporary hymn played for all its worth. Hymns, whether traditional or contemporary are supposed to lift up a person's spirit regardless of religious denomination, faith or no faith. Let the music soar. Supposedly a Bridgemen alum who guided Surf in the 2012 "Bridgmania" told the kids not to be afraid to blow their horns, and blow their horns they did. You are performing some of the most majestic music ever written, blow your horns!

Enya

Guess what, the 1995 closer was a collection of Enya music! I agree though that the music from that era 1994-1996 was more celtic/new age. It worked well at that time, right before the jump to Division I (World) where we needed a signature program. Riverdance became that vehicle. It might just have missed semifinals (when it was still 17 corps), but everyone took note of Pioneer that year and knew we were serious about World. The year after we tried to get rid of the small & cute corps image (although we had fielded over 100 members the 3 previous seasons and were almost full in 1997) by doing Irish in your Face.

• Like 1