Anyone fly(ing) from SFO/OAK/SJC to IND for Finals week?

I've been looking, periodically, at flights from the Bay Area airports to Indianapolis both this year and last and it seems like the flights, no matter when I seem to look, seem to be relatively expensive versus flights to similar locations.

I dislike having to make connections and even those seem to be high in price. For awhile now, it seems like the round trip hasn't dropped below $400. The cost of a nonstop is astronomical; however, that's probably due to the fact that SFO-IND is, I think, the only nonstop flight from the Bay Area.

For those who have made the journey from the Bay Area, what has been your experience with cost and connections (if any)? I'd eventually like to make a trip to Indy; however, if prices remain the same, I'll probably just venture out to a major show that showcases all/most of World Class in a more accessible city.

I looked quickly at Southwest's rates and even they are high priced for them. I think it has a lot to do with Indy being the destination and that it's not frequented enough to merit lower prices because of higher volume.

Your cheapest answer, by far, is to pack up your stuff and MOVE to Indy. You can have twice the house, half the cost of living, a third of the taxes, all the corn you can eat, AND reside in the HOTBED of drum corps activity in the country.

Come on, really? You'll choose beautiful mountains and pristine ocean views you never see over 360 days of corn, tornado's, and debilitating snow with 5 days of the best, glorious drum corps of the year?

Well, clearly you're not a REAL drum corps fan, now are you?

[/sarcasm, except for the corn part]

Edited by garfield
  • Like 3

I could be wrong but I think only United flies non-stop to Indy.

In my experience the fare is lowest between February and April, but even then it doesn't get much below $380 or so. If you see a fare below $400 you should snap it up immediately.

You can more than make up the premium you'd pay for a flight now by waiting until late July to book a hotel, and then use Priceline's name-your-own-price feature. You'll save tons of money and/or stay in a swanky place.

If you can take the whole week off and don't mind a bit of driving, I think you'd get the most bang for your buck by flying into Columbus on the 2nd or 3rd (less than $500 even now) and catching the TOC show in Massilon on the 4th (the top corps, outdoors, almost Finals-ready), then heading to Indy.

• Like 1

I could be wrong but I think only United flies non-stop to Indy.

In my experience the fare is lowest between February and April, but even then it doesn't get much below $380 or so. If you see a fare below $400 you should snap it up immediately.

You can more than make up the premium you'd pay for a flight now by waiting until late July to book a hotel, and then use Priceline's name-your-own-price feature. You'll save tons of money and/or stay in a swanky place.

If you can take the whole week off and don't mind a bit of driving, I think you'd get the most bang for your buck by flying into Columbus on the 2nd or 3rd (less than $500 even now) and catching the TOC show in Massilon on the 4th (the top corps, outdoors, almost Finals-ready), then heading to Indy.

You're correct, United is the only nonstop flight from the Bay Area. And I believe that there is only one flight per day.

I'll definitely try to keep an eye on flights next year between Feb and Apr and get it if it dips below $400.

I've always been pretty bad at using the NYOP on Priceline... like I don't exactly know just how low to go. I hope I don't sound like a snob but I prefer only 3.5* and above ratings. Had too many gross experiences on 3* and below. I'm also sort of a germaphobe. (I know I know, even the best hotels can have gross practices, but at least the higher rated hotels keep me ignorant by hiding it better lol.)

Since I tend to have weekdays off (and prefer it, actually) I would only go to Indy just to watch Prelims. More corps, more bang for the buck. I'd just fly back sometime on Friday or Saturday, the latter of which I hope commands cheaper prices.

Thanks for the advice all!

I've been looking, periodically, at flights from the Bay Area airports to Indianapolis both this year and last and it seems like the flights, no matter when I seem to look, seem to be relatively expensive versus flights to similar locations.

I dislike having to make connections and even those seem to be high in price. For awhile now, it seems like the round trip hasn't dropped below $400. The cost of a nonstop is astronomical; however, that's probably due to the fact that SFO-IND is, I think, the only nonstop flight from the Bay Area.

For those who have made the journey from the Bay Area, what has been your experience with cost and connections (if any)? I'd eventually like to make a trip to Indy; however, if prices remain the same, I'll probably just venture out to a major show that showcases all/most of World Class in a more accessible city.

My suggestion...fly to Chicago....then rent the car down to Indy...yes it's a bit of a drive (190 mi?)...probably a much much cheaper flight