Favorite underrated show

2004 Phantom Regiment. I love the horn book and visually I love the guard colors against the white and black corps uniform.

1991 Blue Devils Conversations in Jazz

1993 Blue Devils A Don Ellis Portrait

1989 Star of Indiana British Invasion.

2003 Cavaliers Spin Cycle. My favorite show of the year.

2007 Blue Devils Winged Victory. I think this one was underrated by the fans.

BK 2002- was a shoe in for finals until..... Div 2 champ Magic of Orlando came in a did the impossible.... Made finals in Div 1. People forget after the cartoon debacle the 02 Bknights were very good and had a great show.

Madison 97- one of my all time favorite Scouts shows- Pirates of Lake Mendota- great show got swept under the rug but worth watching

93 BD- ended up 4th I believe but music- OMG that music! Madison 14 should've taken a listen to that Don Ellis show and taken notes

• Like 1

BK 2002- was a shoe in for finals until..... Div 2 champ Magic of Orlando came in a did the impossible.... Made finals in Div 1. People forget after the cartoon debacle the 02 Bknights were very good and had a great show.

Madison 97- one of my all time favorite Scouts shows- Pirates of Lake Mendota- great show got swept under the rug but worth watching

93 BD- ended up 4th I believe but music- OMG that music! Madison 14 should've taken a listen to that Don Ellis show and taken notes

2002 BK is one of my favorite dark shows. Love, love, love the Shostakovich. A little rough visually, but a solid performance from most of the other captions.

1993 Blue Devils was not an underrated show. People loved it at the time. They came on 4th place overall and their brass won, tied with Star. Just because they didn't get first place doesn't mean it's underrated. Cadets, Star, and Phantom also had great shows they year and were slightly better. I would say Star had the underrated show that year. At DCI north in Buffalo that year people didn't know whether to clap or not. There was not a lot of crowd reaction to that show other than puzzled looks. Of course now everyone loves it and it's probably one of the most popular shows if all time. But make no mistake, it was highly underrated in 93.

Edited by jbeatty89

1993 Santa Clara Vanguard (dat drumline!)

1993 Velvet Knights (get lost in the shadow of 1992, but maybe the best 13th place show ever)

1994 Blue Knights (go back and listen to how good they are)

1995 Crossmen (a departure from their usual style, but I liked it)

1996 Colts (one of their best brass lines)

1997 Cavaliers (finished 7th, behind Crossmen, but still scored 92.8; great drumline and intensity to show)

1998 Madison Scouts (one of my favorite Madison shows from the 1990s)

1999 Glassmen (not a popular show, but one of their best efforts; deserved their placement)

2000 Phantom Regiment (7th overall but 4th in brass AND percussion, one of the greatest ballads of all time)

2000 Madison Scouts (sloppy mess but I liked them branching out a bit, ending of show has great energy)

2001 Santa Clara Vanguard (probably their best brass-line of the 21st Century; one of best openers in DCI history)

2002 Blue Devils (in the long shadow of 2002 Cavaliers, but end of Blue Devils 2002 show has tastiest bass drum runs I've ever heard)

2002 Bluecoats (should have been above BOTH BAC and PR, IMO. Awesome ballad, great closer, screamin' soloist)

2002 Blue Knights (I will go to my grave saying there's no way Cascades deserved Finals over this show)

2003 Cadets (best version of Malaguena ever; I said it and I'm not taking it back)

2003 Carolina Crown (textbook example of writing to emphasize corps strengths; percussion and visual carry a super-young hornline)

2004 Phantom Regiment (their best show design between 1996 and 2008; wonderful energy, better than 2003)

2005 Santa Clara Vanguard (okay, yes, their brass intonation was terrible; but this is a beautifully designed show with wonderful music choices)

2005 Glassmen (adapting Dvorak's Ninth to modern dance rhythms is the most genius thing Robert W. Smith has done)

2006 Cadets (dare I say I like this show design even BETTER than 2005? The execution level just wasn't there)

2008 Santa Clara Vanguard (should have been 5th; great show, to this day I have no idea why percussion scored so low, they were BEASTS)

2009 Phantom Regiment (overlook the visual train-wreck; tasty music, performed very well)

2010 Carolina Crown (Just love the musical selections and the beautiful brass sound)

2011 Bluecoats (Woefully underscored, almost as good as the prior year IMO; Creep is amazing intro)

2012 Blue Stars (I was thrilled to see Crossmen back in Finals, but now I'm not sure it was the right call)

2012 Impulse (I feel sorry for every poor sucker who didn't get to experience PDQ Bach's "1712 Overture" on the field)

2013 Phantom Regiment (end of the show loses it's way, but first half of show is great!)

2013 Troopers (No way this wasn't a Top 12 show of last year; better than both Blue Stars and Spirit)

• Like 2

95 BD

04 BK

89 Cadets

92 SCV

2004 Phantom Regiment. I love the horn book and visually I love the guard colors against the white and black corps uniform.

1991 Blue Devils Conversations in Jazz

1993 Blue Devils A Don Ellis Portrait

1989 Star of Indiana British Invasion.

2003 Cavaliers Spin Cycle. My favorite show of the year.

2007 Blue Devils Winged Victory. I think this one was underrated by the fans.

While 2003 Blue Devils was the last BD show I actually enjoyed, I always felt 2003 Cavies should have won with Spin Cycle.

Just enjoyable in all aspects from ding to ding.

2003 Cadets (best version of Malaguena ever; I said it and I'm not taking it back)

2003 Carolina Crown (textbook example of writing to emphasize corps strengths; percussion and visual carry a super-young hornline)

2004 Phantom Regiment (their best show design between 1996 and 2008; wonderful energy, better than 2003)

2005 Santa Clara Vanguard (okay, yes, their brass intonation was terrible; but this is a beautifully designed show with wonderful music choices)

2013 Troopers (No way this wasn't a Top 12 show of last year; better than both Blue Stars and Spirit)

2003 Cadets - I have them even with 1996 Madison Scouts. Both were amazing in their own ways.

2003 Carolina Crown - From a design perspective I could not agree more.

2004 Phantom Regiment - While 2003 will always hold that special place in my heart, I go to 2004 when I'm looking for design inspiration.

2005 SCV - If only the opener and closer were swapped back to their original places.. The end of the opener just sounds like such a show-ender to me.

2013 Troopers - I have a bud who drove for them that year, along with his brother who was aging out that summer. Should have been Top 12. Heck even a tie for 12th.

No underrated shows to add, but just a big thanks for what everyone has added. Only have had FN since last year and have viewed all the shows. But, based on others thoughts, it's been interesting to watch those shows with more interest. Danke.