Old Style Retreat Cermonies - Posting of The Colors

With the passing of many of my drum corps friends recently, I've been think of the formality that used to drive retreat ceremonies at drum corps shows of the 50's and 60's ... for those who never had to opportunity to experience these solemn moments that closed out a show, I'll try to give a fairly accurate depiction ... firstly, the corps played themselves onto the field in parade formation in order of appearance ... then, a series of bugle call were played including Retreat, Colors, Taps and others (I'm hoping Ironlips or one of DCP's bugle aficionados can comment on the order of the calls) ... in between the calls the Colors were formally "posted" into freestanding receptacles on the sideline ... it wasn't unusual for the Start Spangled Banner to be played by the host corps at this time ... all this occurred prior to the DM's being called "front and center" and then the scores announced ... lastly, the corps would play themselves off the field, one by one, again in parade formation ...

It was military pageantry at its best ... solemn ... sole searching ... introspective ... honoring those who served and those who made the ultimate sacrifice ... I think of all the vets I knew at the Harry Condon AL Post #11 every time I think about retreat ... for me, it brought everything together of why we did what we did on the competition field ... honor and glory ... it's why we were able to be there ...

Andy "having a melancholy moment" Lisko

Edited by ajlisko
  • Like 2

With a few variations on the script, that description is pretty accurate.

This drum corps ceremony was an adaptation of the formal "Dress Parade" (review), used in the US Army from before Civil War times.

Sometimes "Colors" (To the Color", as in "Come to the flag" and/or "Salute the colors") was played before the contest. It is the official military field music substitute for the national anthem, to be used when that tune is not played for some reason. (Most corps opted for this.) It's played immediately after colors are posted.

"Retreat" is the ceremony of lowering and "retiring" the flag in the military. That's why that call was played, and it lends its name to the formalities at the end of the traditional contest.

"Taps" was played on occasion, particularly if the contest was on or near a national holiday like Memorial Day or Independence Day, but this was not a part of every retreat.

Two factors combined to cause this ceremony to all but disappear from the drum corps scene: a general disenchantment for things military, directly related to the Viet Nam war (which, incidentally, claimed a great number of drum corps members and disaffected many returnees from joining veteran's groups or supporting their activities), and later the "touring model" which forced corps to pack up as quickly as possible after the show and head to the next destination.

In some form Retreat survives at both DCI and DCA championship finals (see "touring...", above). At the latter show, it is most apropos since (I believe) the DCA champion is also recognized as the winner of the American Legion National title.

• Like 2

I always enjoyed retreat, whether participating in them or watching.

The colors and pageantry are fine, but viewing it from a non-military standpoint, I've enjoyed the reactions; suspense and I guess you could call it, the fallout.

I recall many times where the outcome of the contest created a stir not only from the crowd, but from corps as well. I will not go into detail, but I believe I’ve just about seen it all. Joy, disgust, jubilation, tears, things thrown etc..

One of my favorite retreats would be the 1968 Dream contest. No disrespect at all to the winners, and things were close, but I’ve never seen so many people shaking their heads at one time on a field. I recall even the winners were laughing and to this day I have to say it was an honor to have marched in the Dream. I’d like to believe that day; everyone was on the same page.

I think it’s a shame that things now prevent this ceremonial part of our history and a different generation doesn’t get a chance to view or participate in one, outside of DCA.

After all, part of the word itself is “Treat”, and it was so very much, just that.

Edited by gsksun4
  • Like 1

>>In some form Retreat survives at both DCI and DCA championship finals (see "touring...", above). At the latter show, it is most apropos since (I believe) the DCA champion is also recognized as the winner of the American Legion National title.<<

True ... "Olympic" style retreats took hold in the early 70's ... the first in DCA that I can remember was in Rochester in 73 ... though it may have been earlier (71 or 72) ... the fans in the stands do love them ... and the final "retreat" formation some corps come up with are astounding ... just look at www.dcacorps.org ... nice picture on the welcome page ...

Some special displays I vaguely remember is Joe Genero leading all the corps in the playing of The Star Bangled Banner at some shows in 65 or so (one of the early years) ... I can't remember if Joe, Truman or Kerschner arranged it ... one of Kershner's arrangements of SSB was published in DCN (maybe for the 1976 bi-centennial?) ... anyway, I also remember Pepe directing the SSB at DCI one year ... his pants almost fell as he went through his gyrations ... but I digress ... :-)

Anyway ... keep the faith ... and keep the memories ...

:-)

A very minor point, but I believe the American Legion National Champion comes from the Scranton show, not the DCA Finals.

• Like 1

In some form Retreat survives at both DCI and DCA championship finals (see "touring...", above). At the latter show, it is most apropos since (I believe) the DCA champion is also recognized as the winner of the American Legion National title.

Unfortunately, not any more, Frank.

That applied during the years 2002-2005, when the DCA title was show was in Scranton. Doc Sebastianelli and the Legion folks made it a combined title show. As long as a corps had an American Legion sponsorship, they were eligible to win the AL title.

So... the Brigadiers (2002) Caballeros (2003) Empire Statesmen (2004) and the Buccaneers (2005) were DCA champions and American Legion national champions.

• Like 1

>>In some form Retreat survives at both DCI and DCA championship finals (see "touring...", above). At the latter show, it is most apropos since (I believe) the DCA champion is also recognized as the winner of the American Legion National title.<<

True ... "Olympic" style retreats took hold in the early 70's ... the first in DCA that I can remember was in Rochester in 73 ... though it may have been earlier (71 or 72) ... the fans in the stands do love them ... and the final "retreat" formation some corps come up with are astounding ... just look at www.dcacorps.org ... nice picture on the welcome page ...

Some special displays I vaguely remember is Joe Genero leading all the corps in the playing of The Star Bangled Banner at some shows in 65 or so (one of the early years) ... I can't remember if Joe, Truman or Kerschner arranged it ... one of Kershner's arrangements of SSB was published in DCN (maybe for the 1976 bi-centennial?) ... anyway, I also remember Pepe directing the SSB at DCI one year ... his pants almost fell as he went through his gyrations ... but I digress ... :-)

Anyway ... keep the faith ... and keep the memories ...

:-)

andy in 1976 truman crawford did an arrangement of the star spangled banner and was played at every show by all the corps. it was the 200th anniversary of the country so that's why we did it. it was amazing . how did we ever do that........... maybe that's what you remember.

Sunrisers closed thier show in 1976 with Happy Brithday ,as they presented the flag .one of very few corps doing anything to celebrate the country 's Anniversary remmber listening to the judges tape ,Oh my god there playing Happy Brithday America .LMAO on that one .