DCI and WGI composing salaries

Hi all,

I've been looking around the internet for a long time trying to research this topic. Sorry in advance if this was already covered. Without getting into a specific persons salary or anything like that, I was curious if any of you have an idea how much a DCI percussion composer/arranger would make for a top 10 group? Also, any idea for a WGI group? Thanks in advance.

Edited by snarekid33

Good questions. Probably depends on the quality of the instructor and what they've negotiated.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply. Without mentioning any names for privacy respect, I have heard of drill writers making $900,000 a year. But I am particularly curious about DCI/WGI percussion composers/arrangers. To be specific, does anyone have an an idea how much a top group would pay a single person to compose the front ensemble only, battery only, or both? I know every group is different, but just curious.

Thanks for the reply. Without mentioning any names for privacy respect, I have heard of drill writers making $900,000 a year. But I am particularly curious about DCI/WGI percussion composers/arrangers. To be specific, does anyone have an an idea how much a top group would pay a single person to compose the front ensemble only, battery only, or both? I know every group is different, but just curious.

Maybe they're making $90,000 per year combined with their day job. That's a totally unrealistic number and people shouldn't go into the field and think they're ever going to be making that much dough. Let's not disillusion people.

Edited by jjeffeory

No it is not just from DCI groups. It is a combination from high school groups, DCI, WGI, and international groups. I do know for fact that the drill writer chargers $12,000-20,000 just for high school groups, and the group that my friend works at in which the school hired the writer for the drill charged them $12,000. It was something around $100 a kid for 100+ band in Southern California.

Edited by snarekid33