Allentown . . . DAY ONE!

Here we go!

First, the weather forecast for Allentown tonight, according to Accuweather is improved over the forecast provided yesterday. Sounds good, but let's wait to hear from our resident weathermen for the correct call.

Were you here for the very first Allentown DCI-East in 1977? When the show was held July 7. When a seat on the 50 yard line set you back $7 ! When the stadium lighting was so bad, the nearby drugstore ran out of batteries? (well, not really).

This begins the busiest tourist weekend of the year in the Lehigh Valley, There's an incredible amount of things going on. For a rundown of those other events of lesser importance, a few helpful tips, and a listing of things to do between drum corps shows, see the earlier "Things to do in Allentown?" topic that's been recently updated. Still can't find something? I have a lawn nearby that needs cutting!

Enjoy, and best wishes to all!

Edited by Fred Windish
  • Like 5

Woo hoo! I'm super excited! Just about to pack up my things from the hotel room in Washington, DC and head for Allentown!

Rain rain go away, come again after Saturday!

Anyone have tips on Allentown parking? Every time I have gone recently I have been on a bus. I know it's a tough situation, so any tips would be appreciated!

Re: parking, the single best advice I can give is to arrive early. I usually have luck on Chew St., by the cemetery. Alternately, the Allentown Fairgrounds work well too, but that's a couple blocks away. If you're handicapped, there is parking reserved all along Turner St.

Anyone have tips on Allentown parking? Every time I have gone recently I have been on a bus. I know it's a tough situation, so any tips would be appreciated!

I come in from 78 down Hamilton, and I always park across from the park on about Berks St. or 23rd. Those are the steep uphill roads. In all my years I never have an issue find a spot, it lets me walk past Yocco's on the way in for some food and through the park for some warmups. Also when leaving there's never any traffic or holdup.

One year I parked at the fairgrounds up top and it was much more difficult/traffic than parking down bottom imo.

Re: parking, the single best advice I can give is to arrive early. I usually have luck on Chew St., by the cemetery. Alternately, the Allentown Fairgrounds work well too, but that's a couple blocks away. If you're handicapped, there is parking reserved all along Turner St.

Thanks. Getting there early won't be a problem tomorrow, but I am driving out from NYC this afternoon (stupid work!) so that will be a bit more of a challenge.

I come in from 78 down Hamilton, and I always park across from the park on about Berks St. or 23rd. Those are the steep uphill roads. In all my years I never have an issue find a spot, it lets me walk past Yocco's on the way in for some food and through the park for some warmups. Also when leaving there's never any traffic or holdup.

One year I parked at the fairgrounds up top and it was much more difficult/traffic than parking down bottom imo.

This sounds like a great idea. Thanks!

I hate the way they divide this show up. I guess they use the same panel, but i would rather have all the top 12 perform on the same night like is used to be with DCI East prelim and Final, but two nights equals more money.

• Like 1