8/10/1974 Carlisle, PA - Westshore is back.. kind of..

Still remember the front page pic in the Patriot. It was a close up of two hands passing money... supposedly on the Island and supposedly a lot of payers drove nice cars and were there on their lunch break. Supposedly as the photographer said he was in a van on the parking lot and taking pics out the back window or something to that effect. Pic was too close and too clear for that to make sense by imagine the crap storm if a pic of the car was shown.

And thank you... it was a Hardees... we drove by the other night and could not remember. Now nearest Hardees is Market St H-burg or Dauphin..

Edited by JimF-LowBari

OK re-watched the show last night and wish there was a way to tune out the corps and tune up what the two guys filming were saying, Seemed to have a running commentary for WSM but not close enough to the camera to hear the words. Wonder if one of them was Jim Jones himself.

And what got me was the blend of the horn line. Lot of the music kinda sucked or out of date but horns blended well. Right balance by luck and/or bunch of HS kids used to it an/or lot of work by our HS band director horn staff.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

City Island was one weird place up till what, the late 80's when the city rehabed the Stadium for the Senators and cleaned the place up to make it more "family friendly?"

Heh... when Barbara would reminisce about the 'Shore rehearsals there, she remembered the Island as being "kinda creepy." LOL

Heh... when Barbara would reminisce about the 'Shore rehearsals there, she remembered the Island as being "kinda creepy." LOL

it still has it's moments

• 5 months later...

Ahhh the island! The funniest thing I remember with that whole "counter culture" of it was one Wednesday night (Horn rehearsal, drum cleaning night) seeing a guy that lived a few streets over from me driving the perimeter of the one parking lot, him seeing me and his EYES got big, and he high-tailed it out of there! Dude never looked me in the eye ever since then...kind of funny!

• Like 1

Thought about some of this again, and realized a lot of DCA corps had VERY strange rehearsal facilities. Didn't a lot of the NY corps including Sky use some big parking lot island thing?

Jim, very curious about that video. I know Hoover and Larry keep talking about creating some digital versions of all of our gigs but nothings happened for years. Kind of sad.

Thought about some of this again, and realized a lot of DCA corps had VERY strange rehearsal facilities. Didn't a lot of the NY corps including Sky use some big parking lot island thing?

Jim, very curious about that video. I know Hoover and Larry keep talking about creating some digital versions of all of our gigs but nothings happened for years. Kind of sad.

Randall's Island in NYC. Sky and a whole bunch of other corps.

My years with Sun, our main outdoor/summer rehearsal sites were at Floyd Bennett Field in Brooklyn, and in one of the parking lots at Hofstra University on Long Island. Our staff would sit on top of the equipment truck if they needed a better view. LOL.

Wasn't there a spot under one of the bridges/tunnels leading into the city that they practiced under?

Wasn't there a spot under one of the bridges/tunnels leading into the city that they practiced under?

The tollbooth was for the Triborough Bridge (now RFK) that connect the Bronx to Manhattan and Queens ... Fran is correct ... on any given Friday night there would be up to five corps rehearsing including Minisink Warriors, Brassmen, Kingsmen, Wanderers, Lancers, Knickerbockers, Sky and a bunch of GNYC I can't remember right now ...

:-)

Randall's Island in NYC. Sky and a whole bunch of other corps.

My years with Sun, our main outdoor/summer rehearsal sites were at Floyd Bennett Field in Brooklyn, and in one of the parking lots at Hofstra University on Long Island. Our staff would sit on top of the equipment truck if they needed a better view. LOL.

We did that with the Milton Hershey School Corps as well, had to watch, only one staff on top of the trailer at a time, we were afraid of caving in the roof. :)

I think we mainly did on field emphasis at the Island, very rarely ensemble stuff where we had to go over to the wrecked stadium that existed before they fixed things up there.