Pioneer Deserved Better

You are making some pretty bold statements about Pioneer's staff. Can you back them up with facts??? It's almost as ridiculous as judging teachers' performance and skills by the results of standardized testing. How could Pioneer's staff inhibit members from growing? How can you objectively know anything about our teachers' abilities or lack of? What do you know about the corps' recruiting efforts? What do you actually know about Pioneer's rates of retention? Sorry, but I feel that your careless accusations do nothing more than kicking someone when they are down.

the staff isn't the adults i'm blaming.

I'll kick back with these statistics as well. We flip the website over to start recruiting for the upcoming season right around the 4th of July each season. Been doing it that way for over a decade. I keep pretty good stats/analytics on everything digital that we do for benchmarking purposes. Through tonight, we have seen a 315% increase in "interest forms" being completed for the upcoming season when compared to this same date last year. In addition, we have seen double digit percentage increases in visitors, pageviews and other measurable stats on our website over the past two months. You can color these stats a bunch of different ways, but they irrefutably represent a significant increase in interest in the corps over the course of this summer.

Summary: the JOY that we brought to the field in 2014 left a significantly better impression with many people than what's being portrayed in this thread.

• Like 1

I'll kick back with these statistics as well. We flip the website over to start recruiting for the upcoming season right around the 4th of July each season. Been doing it that way for over a decade. I keep pretty good stats/analytics on everything digital that we do for benchmarking purposes. Through tonight, we have seen a 315% increase in "interest forms" being completed for the upcoming season when compared to this same date last year. In addition, we have seen double digit percentage increases in visitors, pageviews and other measurable stats on our website over the past two months. You can color these stats a bunch of different ways, but they irrefutably represent a significant increase in interest in the corps over the course of this summer.

Summary: the JOY that we brought to the field in 2014 left a significantly better impression with many people than what's being portrayed in this thread.

The problem isn't the kids, or the staff, and many of us are fans of the corps. Hell, I taught a corps that completed against them for a couple of years. We want Pioneer to be competitively successful as well as financially stable and a corps that gives their members whatever experience the goal is. But at the same time, we also understand what's causing the problem. And let's face it: competitively, Pioneer is going backwards. They were 30th, and by all rights should have been 31st.

When you get torched by half of Open Class, is that really a World Class experience? Your'e right. Pioneer does deserve better...from it's own administration.

• Like 2

Well the DCI season started around that time so I don't think that's anything to be proud of. "Double Digit increase" huh? So at least 10%? Heck, I'm one of those page views and I only went to Pio's website to see pictures of the 1996 corps after this very thread was posted pointing out how terrible the corps was being run. So congrats on negative attention getting you page views I guess.

"Percent Increases" are also pretty misleading and a common PR technique. For all I know you went from 5 interest forms to 16. So congrats on that. If you're willing to give out numbers instead of "Percent Increases", then I'll start giving you credit.

I am not going to be kind to anyone involved in Pioneer that thinks what they're doing to the kids is acceptable. "We were beaten by half of Open Class" sounds like a motto the entire corps needs to hang on a wall somewhere to remind them exactly what their organization is giving them.

Edited by NR_Ohiobando
  • Like 1

A great place for Pioneer to make some contacts in the Milwaukee non-profit scene is an organization called Newaukee. They are a group of mostly young upcoming professionals who are looking to get involved with local groups. Maybe recruit some additional board members who can bring an objective eye and a breathe of fresh air to Pioneer.

Has Pioneer ever cracked into the "top 12"? I know they've made the top 15, etc but have they ever been in finals? It seems to me they ought to have been in finals at least a couple times by now.... (not that making finals is the be all and end all).

Has Pioneer ever cracked into the "top 12"? I know they've made the top 15, etc but have they ever been in finals? It seems to me they ought to have been in finals at least a couple times by now.... (not that making finals is the be all and end all).

The highest I see is 16th, in 2000. They were 18th in 2001, and no better than 20th (2008) from then on, steadily dropping every year since.