Soundsport Thoughts? Anyone... bueller?

So after just checking the videos online...

what are people's thoughts on this? Pseudo drum corps, performing on the blacktop. Some colorguard.

right now there's lots of intangibles, some do drill, some do staging... some do both.

do we like? dislike?

no amps... or some amps?

good for the activity? not good?

all ages or youth only? Would you be interested in watching or playing in this?

Just curious.

It was a fun thing to watch and pass the time during the morning of Finals day. I think it can be better, and adding more groups, and any groups that may have a "unique" instrumentation may make it more enjoyable as well.

what are people's thoughts on this? Pseudo drum corps, performing on the blacktop. Some colorguard.

right now there's lots of intangibles, some do drill, some do staging... some do both.

do we like? dislike?

no amps... or some amps?

Just curious.

interesting thought:

Most if not all will say I think that no matter what is done if it gives more opportunity ,exposes more, etc etc, it's good for the activity.

Quick story: Way back in the early 90s one of the most known all age corps was about to start an alumni corps. Their director at the time ( now deceased ) had a conversation with me. Although many didnt know BUT he was totally against starting this alumni corps. His concerns at the time was that it was going to take away from the competing corps and also give a place to those who just didnt want to work. Now of course the alumni did start but with very strict rules, like you had to be a past member, among other rules, which of course now is long gone. I think his concern was thinning out to just have more , rather than 1 strong. Not quite sure.

There can be a strong argument in the other direction for sure.

do we like? dislike?

no amps... or some amps?

Just curious.

The fact that we've already had one Soundsport group become a successful first year open class corps (Guardians) and another group that I believe had planned to be a Soundsport but after some successful recruiting/rehearsals went ahead and became an open class corps (Louisiana Stars) should answer all questions as to the benefit. It's working. It's growing the activity. How can that not be a good thing?

• Like 1

thats ok feedback.

what do you enjoy most about it?

what do you enjoy least about it?

thats ok feedback.

what do you enjoy most about it?

what do you enjoy least about it?

I did attend the performances on Sat morning and enjoyed all the groups. I would say the thing I enjoyed most was seeing very young members that were obviously having fun- and learning along the way. Don't have a "least". It's all good for the activity!

I think it's a great avenue for smaller groups to get started...sure there will be different ways of doing things (instrumentations, visual design, GE styles, etc.) but that's what makes it unique as well. I see where they've announced different groups now as well

one thing I wish they consider however is to allow the front sideline/pit or things like flats or props to be placed outside of the marching zone and keep that full space for marching or spinning performers

It'll be interesting to see how WGI Winds and SoundSport evolves over the coming years

Didn't DCI plan on using a better venue then an outdoor blacktop this year? I heard definite talk about it being in the Indianapolis convention center but then for some reason the show got put out on a hard concrete outdoor area. Was it because of the large number if groups that dropped out after registering with Soundsport?

Didn't DCI plan on using a better venue then an outdoor blacktop this year? I heard definite talk about it being in the Indianapolis convention center but then for some reason the show got put out on a hard concrete outdoor area. Was it because of the large number if groups that dropped out after registering with Soundsport?

That sentence sounds definitive, like you know it to be a fact that a "...large number..." dropped out.

Is this just speculation, observation, or anecdotal?